Court: White House Must Disclose Lega...

Court: White House Must Disclose Legal Justification For Using Drones ...

There are 6 comments on the CBS Local story from Apr 21, 2014, titled Court: White House Must Disclose Legal Justification For Using Drones .... In it, CBS Local reports that:

The U.S. government must publicly disclose in redacted form secret papers describing its legal justification for using drones to kill citizens suspected of terrorism overseas, because President Barack Obama and senior government officials have commented on the subject, a federal appeals court ruled Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS Local.

radiofreeamerica

Tampa, FL

#1 Apr 21, 2014
The hell with these freaking federal judges that are messing with national security.Congress must impeach this one right now.Before -not after al-Quida takes advantage and strikes.The conduct of foreign policy-including military actions-is strictly left to the executive branch.
lamer

Hamilton, OH

#2 Apr 21, 2014
From the article:

“the government can’t pretend that everything about its targeted killing program is a classified secret while senior officials selectively disclose information meant to paint the program in the most favorable light.”

Sorry you hang on every word the gov tells you Radiofreeamerica, But they do not get to claim national security secrets whiles selectively leaking info to help their legal justifications. That is not how this country or rule of law here works. This country would be a better place if more people questioned their gov rather than pushing for impeachment of judges who are maintaining that rule of law.

And you last line says it all; yes the executive branch gets to call the shots but they still have a legal framework they must abide by, and classifying all their justifications does not fit into that legal framework. Just cause they call the shots doesnt mean they get to do what they want.

And do you care to explain why stating the legal justification they have for using drone in this manner would give "al quida an advantage to strike"?
see the light

El Paso, TX

#3 Apr 21, 2014
Obama and Holder will never disclose anything .Under Obama and the DOJ they will use drones whenever they feel like it.
radiofreeamerica

Tampa, FL

#5 Apr 22, 2014
lamer wrote:
From the article:
“the government can’t pretend that everything about its targeted killing program is a classified secret while senior officials selectively disclose information meant to paint the program in the most favorable light.”
Sorry you hang on every word the gov tells you Radiofreeamerica, But they do not get to claim national security secrets whiles selectively leaking info to help their legal justifications. That is not how this country or rule of law here works. This country would be a better place if more people questioned their gov rather than pushing for impeachment of judges who are maintaining that rule of law.
And you last line says it all; yes the executive branch gets to call the shots but they still have a legal framework they must abide by, and classifying all their justifications does not fit into that legal framework. Just cause they call the shots doesnt mean they get to do what they want.
And do you care to explain why stating the legal justification they have for using drone in this manner would give "al quida an advantage to strike"?
My concern is the security of the United States.I want no more 9/11s.If the drones did not work in the war on terror(which will probably never end)then drones would not be used.That reasoning alone implies that drones are a disadvantage for al-Quida therefore prohibiting drone use would give al-Quida an advantage.I do not "hang on every word the gov tells me".Not the obama government which is a corrupt,incompetent farce.

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#6 Apr 23, 2014
radiofreeamerica wrote:
The hell with these freaking federal judges that are messing with national security.Congress must impeach this one right now.Before -not after al-Quida takes advantage and strikes.The conduct of foreign policy-including military actions-is strictly left to the executive branch.
Have you been around for the last few years?

al-Quida works for us. Recently, we have armed and used them in Syria.

Our current policy with drone strikes is that we will take out entire buildings full of people if we suspect one of them is our target.

When you are killing 30-50 civilians for every "terrorist"... legal justification may come up and better here than in the UN... right?

“Arm the homeless!”

Since: Jul 12

The internet

#7 Apr 23, 2014
radiofreeamerica wrote:
<quoted text>My concern is the security of the United States.I want no more 9/11s.If the drones did not work in the war on terror(which will probably never end)then drones would not be used.That reasoning alone implies that drones are a disadvantage for al-Quida therefore prohibiting drone use would give al-Quida an advantage.I do not "hang on every word the gov tells me".Not the obama government which is a corrupt,incompetent farce.
Drones aren't going anywhere.

If you are taking out 40 innocent civilians to kill one guy... you are down 1 "terrorist".

Congratulations.

Now... how many family members of those 40 civilians will decide that day that they will fight?

What we have here... is a problem with mathematics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Publishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The news media love America. The government, no... 1 hr FormerParatrooper 65
News Clinton: Trump's inauguration speech was 'a cry... 2 hr Red Crosse 148
News Concerns over Fox News prompt further scrutiny ... Sep 21 Trump Curious 1
News News 6 Mins Ago Clinton mocks 'manspreading' Putin Sep 21 Trump Curious 1
News RNC: Spending on legal bills for Trump Jr. near... Sep 21 Trump Curious 1
News Hillary Clinton's New Book Had the Best Opening... Sep 21 Red Crosse 14
News Schiff: Trump has - no ideology' except - his o... Sep 20 USaWARRACEMAKEWOR... 2
More from around the web