U.S. cardinal defends Catholic stance on gay marriage

Mar 31, 2013 Full story: The Daily Star 35

US cardinal Timothy Michael Dolan attends a mass at the St Peter's basilica before the conclave in this March 12, 2013 file photo at the Vatican.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#27 Apr 1, 2013
Minority of one wrote:
<quoted text>If that is true why is congress voting on gun control?
CONGRESS is the U.S. Senate AND the U.S. House Of Represntatives, and CONGRESS is NOT "voting on gun control". The Senate has not voted on a so-called "gun control" bill, and I seriously doubt that the U.S. House Of Representatives will vote on one at all in this session.

And please explain how making certain guns illegal to own or possess prevents criminals (i.e. "people who refuse to follow the law") from carrying out murders similar to the high-profile murders we have seen in the press lately ?

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#28 Apr 1, 2013
....... polygamy

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#29 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy .. you support polygamy .. right ?

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#30 Apr 1, 2013
His-truth wrote:
....... polygamy
cats

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#31 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy .. you support polygamy .. right ?.. Y/N

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#32 Apr 1, 2013
And speaking of "gun control" oneof teh predictable results of people pushing this ridiculous idea, is the fact that now here in Arizona, they are GIVING AWAY FREE shotguns to people !:)

And guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Before guns were invented, nobody was ever murdered. Noboy was ever killed. Wars didn't slaughters millions of people, etc...
Minority of one

Carol Stream, IL

#34 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
CONGRESS is the U.S. Senate AND the U.S. House Of Represntatives, and CONGRESS is NOT "voting on gun control". The Senate has not voted on a so-called "gun control" bill, and I seriously doubt that the U.S. House Of Representatives will vote on one at all in this session.
And please explain how making certain guns illegal to own or possess prevents criminals (i.e. "people who refuse to follow the law") from carrying out murders similar to the high-profile murders we have seen in the press lately ?
Your post in no way answers the question I asked you in response to your statement that constitional rights are not subject to majority vote.

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#35 Apr 1, 2013
welp !!.. looks like we lost foxy .. oh, well .. questions musta run her right into a brick wall .. ouch !!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#36 Apr 1, 2013
His-truth wrote:
welp !!.. looks like we lost foxy .. oh, well .. questions musta run her right into a brick wall .. ouch !!
I think I can answer your question about polygamy. If one believes it is Constitutional, then it is incumbent upon that person to take it to court, and push it all the way to the SCOTUS to find out if he/she is correct. Currently there are laws on the books against it, and they have to be challenged. Unless, of course, you can get your legislature to revoke those laws. But even if you do that you will have to fight the Feds for the benefits. I wish you luck. Personally, I don't care one way or the other, and am to busy working for Marriage Equality for gays and lesbians to be worried about it. I don't have a dog in that fight.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#37 Apr 1, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I can answer your question about polygamy. If one believes it is Constitutional, then it is incumbent upon that person to take it to court, and push it all the way to the SCOTUS to find out if he/she is correct. Currently there are laws on the books against it, and they have to be challenged. Unless, of course, you can get your legislature to revoke those laws. But even if you do that you will have to fight the Feds for the benefits. I wish you luck. Personally, I don't care one way or the other, and am to busy working for Marriage Equality for gays and lesbians to be worried about it. I don't have a dog in that fight.
In a sense, polygamy is not illegal. What the federal government and state governments will not do is legally reconie a polygamous marriage for teh sake of government benefits. For example, if one has a "religious authority" marry a man to more than one wife ("polyandry" is a woman marrying more thanone husband), the man and his wives COULD live together as a family, even happily, and do all the acts and things that married people do together, including sexual relationships, but the government simply won't recognize it. And unless you obtain multiple marriage licenses to try to have the governments legally recognize the plural marriages, they are not going to arrest and you and prosecute you for living as man and wife involving multiple people.

And the people who would engage in these relationships is probably exceedingly small.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#38 Apr 1, 2013
Minority of one wrote:
<quoted text>If that is true why is congress voting on gun control?
They aren't voting to change the constitution.

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#39 Apr 1, 2013
"Gun control" is a dead issue and a "gun control" bill is not going to pass congress. How exactly would a "gun control" bill have stopped the highly-publicized mass shootings of the past few years ? Remember that the mass shooting that took place in Connecticut by that deranged person was committed with guns that were LEGALLY purchased and owned by a person who was LEGALLY allowed to own them.

A strict "gun control" law is obviously not going to have any effect because, criminals, by definition, don't follow teh law.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#40 Apr 2, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
In a sense, polygamy is not illegal. What the federal government and state governments will not do is legally reconie a polygamous marriage for teh sake of government benefits. For example, if one has a "religious authority" marry a man to more than one wife ("polyandry" is a woman marrying more thanone husband), the man and his wives COULD live together as a family, even happily, and do all the acts and things that married people do together, including sexual relationships, but the government simply won't recognize it. And unless you obtain multiple marriage licenses to try to have the governments legally recognize the plural marriages, they are not going to arrest and you and prosecute you for living as man and wife involving multiple people.
And the people who would engage in these relationships is probably exceedingly small.
Well, polygamy in the religious sense is not illegal, but I would think if one tried it with multiple marriage licenses from the state, he or she could be charged with bigamy, correct?

“ WOOF ! ”

33.00, -111.51

#41 Apr 2, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, polygamy in the religious sense is not illegal, but I would think if one tried it with multiple marriage licenses from the state, he or she could be charged with bigamy, correct?
Yes. That's what i said.
Minority of one

Carol Stream, IL

#42 Apr 2, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>They aren't voting to change the constitution.
No, but they are discussing writing laws that many feel violate the constitution- just like many feel DOMA does. My point which seems to have flown right over your head is that laws are sometimes passed to placate the majority that violate constitutional rights and the minority has to fight those laws. The post I responded to said that civil rights are not subject to majority vote- in the real world they often are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Publishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuba and the Ghosts in America's Backyard Thu WE JUST DONT CARE 18
For Obama, a good December, but hard choices li... Thu Guess Who 51
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Oberlin's... Dec 24 Iwantmycountryback 2
No title Dec 20 Baal Zephon 1
Rand Paul: Jeb Busha s Common Core support woul... Dec 17 Cordwainer Trout 3
Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) Dec 16 Ace75 692
Grammy Nominees 2015: The Full List Dec 14 Octopus 12
More from around the web