North Haven plant closing doors and c...

North Haven plant closing doors and costing hundreds their jobs

There are 116 comments on the WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut story from Apr 30, 2008, titled North Haven plant closing doors and costing hundreds their jobs. In it, WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut reports that:

North Haven _ A plant is closing its doors costing hundreds of workers their jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
shell

South Glastonbury, CT

#1 May 1, 2008
well this goes to show you no one cares what happens to the little guy any more or ever did.
Concerned

Farmington, CT

#2 May 1, 2008
You're exacly right, no one cares about the little guy living paycheck to paycheck, just trying to make ends meet.
ELM CITY PUNK CHICK

United States

#3 May 1, 2008
My ex-husband worked for Quebecor (aka Northeast Graphics) for 12+ years. I have observed how their treatment of their employees has gotten progressively much, much worse over the years and the company has switched hands a lot in this time. Seems nobody ever wanted to blow the whistle on this place, they deny lunch (or any) breaks to their employees and who knows what other regulations they've broken. It WILL be rough for the employees at first while they try to find new jobs, but I wholeheartedly believe this will be the best thing careerwise that could happen for them. Quebecor is (was) little better than slavery. There are better opportunities out there!
Jen

North Billerica, MA

#4 May 1, 2008
It isn't fair! But, I guess nothing is. I feel bad for all of the people losing their jobs and the little stores they were helping. Maybe one day the leaders of CT will wake up and smell the coffee! When are they going to realize you actually have to leave CT in order to survive comfortably.
jim maclousky press 8

Seattle, WA

#6 May 1, 2008
what we got do know,lot people loss the job,lot people got pay insurance car,morgage home, uiversity, new car, lot people don`t have money just they living whit the pay check,this company is bad place to work,in this company lot managers,boss`s,assistance of managers,they make lot money and they don`t do nothing (ed duffy, tim kahre,for example,so any way just we got look for another job
No longer in printing

Hardwick, MA

#7 May 1, 2008
This is precisely why after 15 years in the commercial printing industry, I've gotten out. Commercial printing is slowly declining and soon there will only be a few dozen profitable printers in CT. It's a shame.
bobbi

Falls Church, VA

#8 May 1, 2008
it's not only businesses that are feeling the crunch in this state. Families cannot afford the taxes. Between, state income (thank you Lowell weiker), state sales, town taxes, and gasoline taxes, the average family is robbing peter to pay paul. Didn't we initiate the Boston Tea Party because of high taxes????
Bob K

United States

#9 May 1, 2008
One more company shutting down in CT. I don't know how they treat their employees but I feel sorry for them. Any older workers will find it difficult to find a decent job here.
New Haven Railroad

United States

#10 May 1, 2008
I guess this means I won't be able to watch them switch the railcars there anymore. Bummer.
clonealone

Milwaukee, WI

#11 May 1, 2008
bobbi wrote:
it's not only businesses that are feeling the crunch in this state. Families cannot afford the taxes. Between, state income (thank you Lowell weiker), state sales, town taxes, and gasoline taxes, the average family is robbing peter to pay paul. Didn't we initiate the Boston Tea Party because of high taxes????
Time for another Boston Tea Party!!!
Incredulous J

Stratford, CT

#12 May 1, 2008
So why is Blue Sky (the animation company) moving to CT? Seems like everyone is shutting down and leaving.

Guess they get some kind of major tax break? Too bad that industry is so specialized, and a company like that is beyond hiring the regular working stiff. Sure it is glamorous to have a Blue Sky moving into CT, but who is going to work there? Animators. Anyone know any animators?

A manufacturing company probabaly gets no tax breaks, but they employ the bulk of what makes the economy go (the regular guy, the people without professional skills who need a job - most of us).

CT is ass-backwards. Give the tax breaks to the little guys, not the big name studios and the richies, or there won't be anyone living in this state beyond Fairfield County.
Bonnie Nadler

Milford, CT

#13 May 1, 2008
I've been in this situation by on the human resources side. I was involved with closing a plant in Moosup, CT. It's disappointing to see so many people getting layed off.
I work for a company called Covidien which is located at 60 Middletown Avenue, North Haven, CT in the human resources dept. On a positive note, we are currently growing and expanding our operation and have many job openings at this time.
We currently have opportunities on 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift. We have a small print shop onsite and are looking to fill 2 printer positions. In addition, we have openings as production operators, assemblers, quality lab technicians, production technicians, maintenance mechanics, etc,. We also have an onsite Covidien temporary staffing department and 80% of our hourly openings are filled by someone who started their career as a temporary employee.
Please refer current and former employees to Covidien. I would recommend individuals to come to the main entrance and ask the security guard for an employment application. When completed, please drop it off with the security guard.
If you would like additional information, please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Thanks!
Bonnie
JUST BECAUSE

Lady Lake, FL

#14 May 1, 2008
Bonnie Nadler wrote:
I've been in this situation by on the human resources side. I was involved with closing a plant in Moosup, CT. It's disappointing to see so many people getting layed off.
I work for a company called Covidien which is located at 60 Middletown Avenue, North Haven, CT in the human resources dept. On a positive note, we are currently growing and expanding our operation and have many job openings at this time.
We currently have opportunities on 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift. We have a small print shop onsite and are looking to fill 2 printer positions. In addition, we have openings as production operators, assemblers, quality lab technicians, production technicians, maintenance mechanics, etc,. We also have an onsite Covidien temporary staffing department and 80% of our hourly openings are filled by someone who started their career as a temporary employee.
Please refer current and former employees to Covidien. I would recommend individuals to come to the main entrance and ask the security guard for an employment application. When completed, please drop it off with the security guard.
If you would like additional information, please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Thanks!
Bonnie
God Bless you, for trying to help this people. Hope many blessings come your way...
Lead-Pressman

Newell, IA

#15 May 1, 2008
It's a disaster what the effects are to all the family's and children, I started printing when I was 16 and that's all I have ever done It always scared the hell out of me what if my plant closed what would I do toward the end you were right Elm City I felt like a slave working such long hours I didn't know if I was coming or going, the locker room always smelled of Ben gay because everyone was hurting somewhere But I can tell you there is life after QW one door shuts and another opens our plant has not shut down (Yet anyway) I was fired after 28 yrs for blowing my knee out at work But My thoughts and prayers lie with all of you and your family's who have been wronged,
QW just bought up allot of plant's for there contracted work loads and then planned on moving the loads to other plants and then giving everyone the AXE
These same people at QW will find closed door's also someday but it will be at the Pearly gates of heaven !!!!!!
Redneck

Waterbury, CT

#16 May 1, 2008
It's great too see Bonnie's post. I hope some of the folks from Northest can go there. There is still the issue of working people not being able to afford to live in CT. Motion picture studios get tax breaks, but no breaks for those who produce valuable products and services, like farmers, tradesman, and good solid manufacturing. I'm an electrician, I feel my job is very important, as are plumbers, mechanics, bakers, Butchers and so on. I'm not sure what all these college grads do, but we have far too many paper pushers, and not enough of us doing real work. Rell, and the legislature should immediately roll back back business taxes, eliminate the income tax and the property tax on vehicles, and cut the state gas tax. This would cause a short term short fall in income for the state, however the long terms gains would be tremendous. Businesses would move back here, they would employ people, the people would spend money, there fore employing other people. It is absolutely IDIOTIC to think you can tax a society into properity. Right now we have proof throughout the country that over taxing doesn't work. I didn't even finish high school and it's obvious to me, why isn't it obvious to our elected officials?????
Business Owner-New Haven

Naugatuck, CT

#17 May 1, 2008
Maybe the Democratic leaders in CT can quickly establish a exit tax to take advantage of the companies closing up. Just one more example of how the out of touch they are with manufacturing in this state. As long as they get well taken care of thats all they care about. Everyone is laying off but they want to expand state payrolls.
Sandy

Guilford, CT

#18 May 1, 2008
I know someone who has been working there for less then one year after getting laid off from a similar company in New York where he was commmuting for four years just to have a job in his field. This is tragic for the persons involved.
Hosed by the system

Wallingford, CT

#19 May 1, 2008
And the hits just keep on commin..........way to go Hartford..........how do spell " BIGGER DEFICIT"??????????
Nobody Special

Berlin, CT

#20 May 1, 2008
While I dont disagree with any of the comments regarding Connecticut, lets also not forget that Quebecor is a terrible company, mismanagement and lack of vision has led this corporation into the sorry state its in. Any corporation who hires Wes Lucas to be the CEO after what he did to Sun Chemical only goes to show that they have no clue.

Quebecor has always lacked synergy between thier facilities and allowed each plant to either sink or swim on thier own. that to me is a formula for disaster and that my friends is exactly what has happened.

So again, the blame needs to be two fold here.

Good Luck to all those at Northeast Graphics. You all will be better off in the long run, but for now you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
You people are retarded

United States

#21 May 1, 2008
Folks,

Let me help you with something: There is no conspiracy to screw you or your friends in the plant. Trust me, you're not that important to the powers that be.

The folks at Quebecor are not a group of supervillians sitting around a big table laughing it up because they are taking jobs out of Connecticut. Their duty as a company, first and foremost, is to stay in business-- not to employ you (or me, for that matter). If it no longer makes business sense to manufacture in Connecticut, then they have to leave. It is their obligation to do so. If you do not stay competitive, you go out of business.

If jobs are leaving Connecticut, its not Quebecor's fault, its Connecticut's fault for being such an expensive (read: high-tax and union-friendly) place to do business.

And for the fellow who proposed an exit tax: I hope that he can dress himself in the morning without crapping in his shoes. That is the single dumbest thing I have ever heard (and I hang out with Italians, so that means something).

What do you think an exit tax does? Yes, it takes a pound of flesh out of a company like Quebecor. But, how do you think it affects companies that considering moving to Connecticut? Does it make our state or more attractive or less attractive place to do business?

I'll let you think about that a second....

Correct, it would discourage companies from moving here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Publishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wash Post: Trump's Taiwan Phone Call Was Planne... 3 hr USA Today 1
News Florida woman wins $590.5m Powerball jackpot (May '13) 10 hr Greed is Fun 111
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) 12 hr chuckles 1,062
News Police: Fake news story led man to shoot inside... 14 hr Reaganism 7
News Heather's Picks: Indigo founder shares her favo... Dec 3 EL1SE ELEESE ELYSE 1
News Did the Russians Interfere in the U.S. Presiden... Nov 28 USA Today 1
News Trump's Term-Limits Push to Face Opposition . .... Nov 26 YouDidntBuildThat 2
More from around the web