Former Quad/Graphics building is under contract for purchase

May 22, 2012 Full story: Buffalo News 31

The 850,000-square-foot facility is under contract to a prospective buyer, said Richard Schechter, senior director with Pyramid Brokerage Co.'s Buffalo office.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Buffalo Swami

Buffalo, NY

#1 May 26, 2012
RRD was in the parking lot last week. TR knows who it is.
ITS OVER

Dickson, TN

#2 May 27, 2012
I pray that RRD steps in and buys up all Quad buildings and puts Joel right down the tubes.It would be nice for him to feel what the thousand of employees felt when they lost their jobs just so he could line his pockets with more money.Corporate qreed at its best.What comes round goes round!!!!!!!!!!
jeff loos

Rockton, IL

#3 May 27, 2012
it sure would f**K BLUE
Buffalo

Buffalo, NY

#4 May 27, 2012
Buffalo Swami wrote:
RRD was in the parking lot last week. TR knows who it is.
And did you yourself see them there and how do you know it was RRD? I would love to see them put in a couple presses and a few binders and take over Harlequin I WOULD JUST LOVE IT!
smoken1

Graniteville, SC

#5 May 27, 2012
wrong quad is keeping it for a cheese factory
Reality

Menomonee Falls, WI

#6 May 28, 2012
RRD has closed plants lately and put people out of work as well. Still too much capacity out there, RRD won't purchase that old, useless building.

Buffalo, NY

#7 May 28, 2012
Reality wrote:
RRD has closed plants lately and put people out of work as well. Still too much capacity out there, RRD won't purchase that old, useless building.
So if it is "useless" how come it is being purchased ?? HUH ??

Jonesboro, AR

#8 May 28, 2012
Probably to use for something completely different. There was a factory next to the Jonesboro plant that shut down and was leased out and used to expand the bindery and shipping departments. A year from now, it'll just be another empty building.
Buffalo Swami

Buffalo, NY

#9 May 29, 2012
Guest wrote:
Probably to use for something completely different. There was a factory next to the Jonesboro plant that shut down and was leased out and used to expand the bindery and shipping departments. A year from now, it'll just be another empty building.
RRD is not who you think it is OH Canada!!!!!! More later

Buffalo, NY

#10 May 29, 2012
Perhaps the Toronto Globe ?? They are looking for a large plant to produce their ads !!
Raven

Quitman, TX

#11 May 29, 2012
old quebecor building turned into a hanger factory after we left. Made it a year. Just another "empty" building". fumes still linger - from gravure area.
hello

Oshawa, Canada

#12 May 29, 2012
To be honest the Toronto star( Torstar)(metroland)
owns Harlequin and I wouldn't be surprised if they start printing it themselves.They have 2 huge print centers in Toronto and are hurting for work
They own one of the largest Man Roland presses in the world and a KBA and have more than enough room for equipment
WildZombie

Buffalo, NY

#13 Jun 4, 2012
W T F ??

Since: Apr 12

Portland, OR

#14 Jul 12, 2012
Have to agree that RRD wouldn't go for such a building, and it's really anybody's guess what it will become. It's not as if quad graphics buildings can only be used for large format printing. Would be cool if RRD did happen to move in there though.
Bobby

Jackson, TN

#15 Jul 13, 2012
GrahicsPortland wrote:
Have to agree that RRD wouldn't go for such a building, and it's really anybody's guess what it will become. It's not as if quad graphics buildings can only be used for large format printing. Would be cool if RRD did happen to move in there though.
RRD doesn't need another run down old printing plant, they have plenty of their own. And, they don't have enough work to fill them either.

Portland, OR

#16 Jul 14, 2012
Ah my mistake, I was under the impression that they had enough work to warrant another building. Albeit one that is in a little better condition.
WTmotherF

Buffalo, NY

#17 Jul 17, 2012
Building is going to Sonwil Industries.
They have a large building off of Gennesse by the Buffalo/Niagara Airport, actually have that road named for them.
They just want it for logistics and parcelling out.
Nothing to do with printing.

Portland, OR

#18 Jul 17, 2012
Awesome! I'm glad someone was finally able to get to the bottom of this. I'm curious as to how you got this information, but glad you did.
quad screws another on

Buffalo, NY

#19 Jul 25, 2012
"If they would just do what was humanly right and decent," Eskew added.
The retirees said that they'd be happy just to get their premiums back, which for most of them would be about $1,500.
But, at this point, it doesn't even look like that's going to happen.
QuadGraphics said that, when it bought the company two years ago, the pension program was at risk and so they're funding it now. While that is great for other folks who worked for the company, it doesn't help these retirees who left 20 or more years ago.

Most of them opted for a lump sum when they retired.
E-mail: jkraus@newschannel5.com

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19093646/re...
Read statement from Quadgraphics
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 7:20 PM EDT
Statement from Quadgraphics:

Thank you for the opportunity to share some additional information about our decision to discontinue retiree life insurance coverage. This was not a decision we entered into lightly as we know it was valued by a number of retirees.

As you're already aware, this was a benefit promised to these individuals through their former employer, Arcata Graphics. Through a series of acquisitions, Arcata Graphics came to be owned by Worldcolor. In July 2010, Quad/Graphics acquired Worldcolor.

It's important to understand that when Quad/Graphics acquired Worldcolor, Worldcolor had recently emerged from bankruptcy and was facing a series of serious financial challenges, including nearly $547 million in underfunded pension liabilities. It was necessary for us to set priorities for addressing Worldcolor's financial challenges, and we felt strongly that no retiree's pension payments should be at risk. To that end, we decided to focus on funding Worldcolor's underfunded pensions so that monies would continue to flow to retirees. This decision directly impacted the Arcata Graphics retirees such as those with whom you spoke; they are participants in these underfunded pensions.

Whenever you bring together two large organizations, change is inevitable. As we've integrated the two companies' operations, at a time when we're experiencing a lackluster economy and myriad industry challenges, we have had to make hard choices. Both current employees as well as retirees have been impacted. We know people may struggle to understand the necessity of these changes. We are attempting to do the greatest good for the greatest number of people, and the decisions aren't always easy. In light of the large and complex integration we have been undergoing for the past two years, maintaining retiree life insurance coverage became cost
ITS OVER

Dickson, TN

#22 Aug 2, 2012
I would love to see Joel have to work a Min wage job and have no benifits then Justice would be served in part anyway He is a greedy bast--- that needs to get something kike losing all his money happen to him but he is just one of many in that position that needs to be knocked off their thrown

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Publishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legendary Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee dies 5 hr Hooogle It 3
Fall lawn care reaps benefits for spring 12 hr American National 1
Ukraine urges Russia to stop separatist elections 12 hr Lukashenko is Dr ... 10
John Forbes Cenedella 18 hr Kevin Pawlak 4
Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) 18 hr GinaLover 633
Ukraine's Neo-Nazis Demand Respect 20 hr Swedenforever 43
Cuba's Sending Doctors to Fight Ebola in West A... Oct 19 WE JUST DONT CARE 12

Publishing People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE