Is Mormonism Still Racist?

Mar 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Slate Magazine

A statue of Brigham Young, second president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and namesake of Brigham Young University, stands in the center of Salt Lake City "God has always been discriminatory." So says Randy Bott, a professor of religion at Brigham Young University, in a Washington Post piece by Jason Horowitz .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of82
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2012

Judged:

Hell yeah it is!
yes

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2012

Judged:

it always has been and still is by all of it's leaders and prophets.
Just Google Mormons and black
it is really SICK!!!!
And Romney is getting a free ride cause all of the reporters are afraid to say anything and so are his opponents
veedub

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2012

Judged:

Nice headline. Along the lines of "Do you still beat your mother?" and "Is the Washington Post still an unprofessional rag?"
Osirica

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2012

Judged:

3 Nephi 2:15 reads:

"And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites."

(Moses 7:8)
"...the Lord shall curse the land with much heat...and there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people."

"And Enoch also beheld ...the sons of Adam; and they were a mixture of all the seed of Adam save it were the seed of Cain, for the seed of Cain were black, and had not a place among them." (Moses 7:22)

"And the skins of the Lamanites were dark...which was a curse upon them because of their transgression against their brethren...therefore they were cursed; and the Lord God set a mark upon them. And this was done that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren, that thereby the Lord God might preservehis people..." (Alma 3:6,8)

Read more: http://crcmin.org/Articles_on_Mormonism.html#...

"I've been beating my wife for years" - Mormon apologist.

veedub wrote:
Nice headline. Along the lines of "Do you still beat your mother?" and "Is the Washington Post still an unprofessional rag?"

Since: Oct 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2012

Judged:

Not really racist, they hate plenty of people who are "white and delightsome." If you are a gay atheist pothead, they will think you are possessed by Satan himself, and therefore worse than being black.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2012

yes wrote:
it always has been and still is by all of it's leaders and prophets.
Just Google Mormons and black
it is really SICK!!!!
And Romney is getting a free ride cause all of the reporters are afraid to say anything and so are his opponents
lol...yeah right. Apparently you've never read the Bible. It's full of discrimination and bigotry and segregation themes, practices and commandments.
Osirica

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2012

Judged:

You actually thought you'd get this past me?

First of all, yes there is bigotry in the Bible. But its all based on religion based on the fact that some people did not recoginze their own creator... so the Hebrews dealt with them. I don't agree with it but oh well.

However. MORMONISM... with their whole "skin of blackness" curses and marks and crap from the "mark of Cain"... THAT is totally on another level.

First of all, the Bible is from ancient times.

The Mormon prophet Joseph SMith tries to REINSERT his "curse of cain" crap... that was so popular with the baptists and methodists... that crap that wasn't around during the days of the Bible, but was made up in the 1600s or 1700s...

He tries to reinsert it back into the Bible in his "book of moses" (basically his version of Genesis).

Now get this, he claims he got the whole "blackness" mark of cain from God "restoring" the Bible. since it's only as good as Mormons think it's translated correctly.

Just one problem. It's not in the Bible, never was... AND dumb Mormon Smith takes the thing and tries to put itIN .
Stratton

Arlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2012

There may be racial discrimination among the leaders of the Mormon church, but I don't think most Mormons are racists, anymore than most Catholics are pedophiles or most Lutherans are anti-Semites.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

Osirica wrote:
"And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites."
"...the Lord shall curse the land with much heat...and there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people."
"And Enoch also beheld ...the sons of Adam; and they were a mixture of all the seed of Adam save it were the seed of Cain, for the seed of Cain were black, and had not a place among them." (Moses 7:22)
"And the skins of the Lamanites were dark...which was a curse upon them because of their transgression against their brethren...therefore they were cursed; and the Lord God set a mark upon them. And this was done that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren, that thereby the Lord God might preservehis people..." (Alma 3:6,8)
<quoted text>
This is evidence of an "apostate" religion that seeks to create its own religion in opposition of God's word, the bible. It is clear that the cannanites were white and not black as erroneously written in the so-called Mormon Bible and they had to back off of their spurious claims once that was proven.

One thing is interesting though. When Moses, sister, Miriam, made insulting remarks concerning Mose's choice of Zipporah, as his wife, God struck her down with leprosy, in effect changing the color of her skin. Moses' wife was "black."

I remember the newsreporter, Jack Jones, who was a black mormon being excited and happy over the annoucement that an edict was made by the Mormon Church to allow blacks to enter their so-called holy temple and thinking to myself, what a Tom!

If it's one thing that most organized religions seem to work hard at it's dividing people not bringing them together.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

Osirica wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone wants to accept their teachings, might as well accept the Koran. It's much older and in some instances coincides with what is written in the OT. However, hypocritical Americans are willing to not only accept this apostate faith, but install a member of this cult in the White House!

There is no freaking difference, no matter how hard they try to clean it up. For that matter, let's vote for a Jehovah Witnesses, Hindu, or whatever, lol.

Placing that Mormon in the White House is a grave error.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

Judged:

Are white people still white...hell yeah its still racist as hell.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

Judged:

fedupwiththemess wrote:
Are white people still white...hell yeah its still racist as hell.
I'm feeling you, you this, right? LMBAO!! Sorry I had to run out of that thread, but had business to take care of.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2012

Judged:

It is a man made up religion dominated by white folks therefore it is racist as hell.
Open eyes

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2012

God saved the blacks in the flood why would mormons be racist if god saved them. Christ cared for the samaritians when jews at the time did not like them. He gave the story of the good samaritian to get a message across. Mormons are not raciest in teaching due to the fact they teach god loved all peoples and even saved those that were righteous at the time of the flood even the black. So why are mormons raciest? Tribe of Levi was seperated and their gerations were given what? Were the other tribes being discriminated against by moses?
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2012

Judged:

Salt Lake City is the only airport in the country where white people are pushing the wheelchairs and picking up the garbage.
David

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

God you sound racist.

"even the black"

The racism is in the teaching that somehow "EVEN" the black were anything.

The racism is based on the teaching that blacks were ever cursed in the first place, or that their physical appearance came from a mark on cain and/or canaan.

It's racist because blacks were NOT cursed, and their skin color did NOT come from a mark.

This erroneous teaching came out of Baptists and Methodists, who preceeded Joseph Smith's writings on this subject. The hate taught from that got picked up by Mormon leaders and is further proof of the fruit of it as being false.
Open eyes wrote:
God saved the blacks in the flood why would mormons be racist if god saved them. Christ cared for the samaritians when jews at the time did not like them. He gave the story of the good samaritian to get a message across. Mormons are not raciest in teaching due to the fact they teach god loved all peoples and even saved those that were righteous at the time of the flood even the black. So why are mormons raciest? Tribe of Levi was seperated and their gerations were given what? Were the other tribes being discriminated against by moses?
David

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

No it's not.

But you simply saying that it is, oh that was so compelling since it sounds so "revelational"
Frisbee wrote:
Salt Lake City is the only airport in the country where white people are pushing the wheelchairs and picking up the garbage.

Since: Jun 12

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

Mormons beieve Black people are cursed.

Come to think of it I have heard many Black people say before that Black people are cursed.....

Since: Jun 12

Brewster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Frisbee wrote:
Well with their 20 kids?
Don't their kids need to work some where? Like the airport?
David

Oak Park, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

yes a lot of black people hate themselves.

Look up "Tyra Banks Show black self hating" for one example.
HugeKielbasa wrote:
Mormons beieve Black people are cursed.
Come to think of it I have heard many Black people say before that Black people are cursed.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of82
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••