Pasadena district broke ground with 6...

Pasadena district broke ground with 6-4-4 system - Pasadena Sta...

There are 2 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from Mar 2, 2008, titled Pasadena district broke ground with 6-4-4 system - Pasadena Sta.... In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

In 1928 in Pasadena, the numbers 6-4-4 were as well known as 9/11 is today. On May 22 of that year, the Star-News wrote: "Superintendent of Schools John A. Sexson, in a remarkable exposition of the `6-4-4' ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

Janet Strutt Hart

Riverside, CA

#1 Mar 3, 2008
As a product of the Pasadena City Schools system under the 6-4-4 plan I feel I received an excellent education. Completing necessary high school course work the first semester of twelfth grade, I jumped at the opportunity to take college classes. They fulfilled University of California general education requirements (and transferred to UCLA) without having to pay college tuition! Almost all of my John Muir College classmates took advantage of those two years of college.
A great system (sometimes difficult to explain to those with conventional high school experience!) at a great school which is now experiencing difficult times.

Jan Strutt Hart
Tustin, California
Ken Wheeler

La Grange, TX

#2 Apr 29, 2014
I struggled through the 6-4-4 plan back in the early fifties. This hair-brained scheme of Sextons left a lot to be desired. I particularly remember one unusual arrangement; Because of the way it was set up, sixteen-year-old eleventh grade girls were on PCC's open campus along with twenty-one year old vets fresh from combat in Korea. You can bet that created some interesting dynamics. If it would have been a traditional setup where the students entering junior college were at least the age of traditional freshman, eighteen or thereabouts, those two additional years of maturing might have made a considerable difference in what was unquestionably a tricky social situation. If there had been any real merit to the 6-4-4 plan, other school districts would have adopted it. But it was a notion doomed to failure. Pasadena switched back to a traditional high school setup years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Publishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ann Coulter Takes on Pro-Amnesty Media 1 hr The Mack 5
News Why Islamic State Is Winning 2 hr Lamer 37
News 'Father' Marries His 'Son' 6 hr Pat Robertson s F... 16
News Letter to Obama discussed at Post reporter's tr... Thu USA Today 1
News Esther Cepeda: How sincere is Clinton's Latino ... Wed 287g ICE 3
News A former Reagan aide says Fox News is bad for R... May 27 kuda 11
News NYT: Blacks Have Lost Jobs Due to - Anti-Govern... May 26 Ver1 4
More from around the web