Opponents rush to judgment on tire-to-energy plant

There are 9 comments on the GoErie.com story from Oct 21, 2007, titled Opponents rush to judgment on tire-to-energy plant. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

When the factory's boilers started howling on Friday afternoon, the phones in our newsroom started ringing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
andrew j langham

UK

#26 Sep 15, 2009
ref' dioxin control refuse burning incinerators need to be fitted with very fine high pressure mist spray water sprinkler system at top of chimney; Dioxins do not easily dissolve in water, so they tend to settle to the bottom and cling to the sediment. Dioxins last for a very long time in the environment but note can be dissociated by collection as stated and vibrated with high energy ultra sonic waves so they break up or can be made to fuse together in clumps forming large molecules that are less harmful, and which then do not enter the lungs of people therefore do not get into the blood stream and body fat storage; or water reservoirs ie drinking water; andrew j langham
Toots

Erie, PA

#29 Sep 17, 2009
It doesn't matter. This type of industry does NOT belong here or anywhere.
andrew j langham wrote:
ref' dioxin control refuse burning incinerators need to be fitted with very fine high pressure mist spray water sprinkler system at top of chimney; Dioxins do not easily dissolve in water, so they tend to settle to the bottom and cling to the sediment. Dioxins last for a very long time in the environment but note can be dissociated by collection as stated and vibrated with high energy ultra sonic waves so they break up or can be made to fuse together in clumps forming large molecules that are less harmful, and which then do not enter the lungs of people therefore do not get into the blood stream and body fat storage; or water reservoirs ie drinking water; andrew j langham
Observer1

Erie, PA

#30 Sep 17, 2009
Toots wrote:
It doesn't matter. This type of industry does NOT belong here or anywhere.
<quoted text>
Kind of sums up the opponent's thinking "it doesn't matter" that there are means of minimizing the dioxins and other hazardous substances, or that this plant would put out a fraction of the pollution that Hammermill did. "This type of industry does NOT belong her or anywhere?" Why would that be, other than because of an irrational, reflexive fear? A zero-pollution world is not yet possible, but we live in an increasingly clean industrial environment. Stop shunning and demonizing the progress and entrepreneurship which can take us into a better, cleaner and more prosperous world.
I have no connection to or interest in this plant, or anything Greg Rubino is involved in whatsoever. I just want to see jobs and sensible environmental standards, because we face the prospect of being overwhelmed by the industrial advancements of China, India and other developing nations which have little or no concern for the draconian green standards being promoted here.
edge

Erie, PA

#31 Sep 17, 2009
Observer1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want to see jobs and sensible environmental standards
http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...
paul

Maryville, TN

#32 Sep 18, 2009
dennis wrote:
<quoted text>
OK teacher here's my "home work"
Erie Renewable Energy LLC's air-quality permit application to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection include:
nitrogen oxides -- 354.12 tons a year;
sulfur dioxide -- 99.25 tons a year;
particulate matter (dioxins and furans) 229.95 tons a year;
volatile organic compounds -- 27.9 tons a year.
What is wrong with "0"..........
If you talking 0 you must be talking about the jobs that are available in Erie. Step down from you high horse Do you own a Manual Clean diesel car that runs WVO? Do you use Electricity? "Environmentalist" are a joke because everybody in America is a contradiction. In the mean time, what do we do with all the tires? We know the spread of dieses and misquotes hibernate in them, so what are you going to do other then protest? It is easy to make a sign and yell out people, but it is beyond me if any environmentalist would roll up their sleeves and actually invent, use, or try to bring that alternative energy to Erie. I would suggest using wind mills, but unfortunately the Environuts would be opposed because the seagulls would get stuck in them and die, so let’s just continue to use coal power and turn every other alternative energy away. Let us open another Medical building apparently they give off “0” pollutants. Why don't you go to the reasearch on the pollunts of Medical waste, that make you think twice before drinking a glass of water.
Observer1

Erie, PA

#33 Sep 18, 2009
edge wrote:
The Pennsylvania director of "environmental health" for the American Lung Association is paid and expected to be a highly zealous advocate for zero air pollution risk. His opinion has to be considered is relation to all the information, and the ultimate risks vs. benefits. I used to live near the Continental Rubber works and the Urick foundry when I was a child in the 60's. Those places belched out clouds of highly noxious smoke and vapors on a regular basis. They could never get away with doing it today, and would have to seal, scrub and treat those emissions to the point that no one would notice them. Newly-built industries such as this one have to be so much cleaner than similar industries of of the past, and yet people act as if an open tire-fire pit is being planned.
Toots

United States

#34 Sep 18, 2009
You are right I am an opponent of the tire plant. And yes a zero pollution world is not yet possible. However it will never be if we keep pushing these kinds of businesses. I am not being irrational and yes I do fear the effects this will have on our city and rural areas. Not to mention the lake water.
Entrepreneurship!! There are other energy producing alternatives. A wind farm is a perfect example.
Please don't bring up Hammermill. That was many years ago and is long since gone. We did not know how harmful the emissions were back then. We sure do now. As far as the jobs go, that is like pulling the race card. Just think about it. How many jobs will be lost. With the mind set of most people/companies nowadays toward pollution, do you think any high tech business will want to locate in Erie, knowing the harm these toxins could cause? Not likely.
Your going to tell me you would trust any government agency to monitor this place....does Coke plant bring anything to mind? I repeat. This plant should not be built anywhere! There are to many alternatives.
Observer1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of sums up the opponent's thinking "it doesn't matter" that there are means of minimizing the dioxins and other hazardous substances, or that this plant would put out a fraction of the pollution that Hammermill did. "This type of industry does NOT belong her or anywhere?" Why would that be, other than because of an irrational, reflexive fear? A zero-pollution world is not yet possible, but we live in an increasingly clean industrial environment. Stop shunning and demonizing the progress and entrepreneurship which can take us into a better, cleaner and more prosperous world.
I have no connection to or interest in this plant, or anything Greg Rubino is involved in whatsoever. I just want to see jobs and sensible environmental standards, because we face the prospect of being overwhelmed by the industrial advancements of China, India and other developing nations which have little or no concern for the draconian green standards being promoted here.
just-pokin-about

Mount Juliet, TN

#36 May 4, 2010
this is ridiculous...yes tires emit scary toxins BUT do cars? don't the coal powered plants? wood and biomass have drawbacks as well the truth of the whole scenario is that the people opposed to forward motions do not look into the tax incentives....the jobs created..saving on electricity (this wont go down but stay stagnant instead of the water in the tires in the illegal dumps being stagnant) The sheer electricity and clean up of the tires is one advantage but they burn cleaner than some coal hotter and with more efficiency than coal and oil. The standards of these would have to be increased and scrutinized to avoid abuse like paying a simple fine BUT make it more liable for the plants to operate with consequences IF they fail to meet or upgrade when needed to meet the standards with a proper continuous improvement process in place and a community watch dog group working WITH them to achieve it This meets the jobs, tax savings, electricity, and economic improvement can be met while pleasing the community to meet their standards and working on ADVANCING to new technology better than that out there now. I do not know any side of this topic personally BUT I do operate a company which reduces waste going to landfills by 70% and produce 20 new products and create 38 new jobs for each facility I also see advantages to this facility for the community IF it is done with cooperation and compromise between both to make a common goal for a cleaner environment where all win. This is not a cut and dry issue of dont build it or dont operate it. thats the height of ignorance and shows with barges of trash being sent down the coast and mississippi to New Orleans only to be baled and shipped to China for them to do the jobs we say shouldnt be done here and then support them by paying them to take our trash and buy the products back they produce from it with very little tariffs imposed on the green products...do your homework is about the best statement I have seen just my opinion and you know what they say about those take it or leave it I personally hold no grudges for those willing to discuss something logically and open minded.
hammer mill worse

Erie, PA

#37 Dec 4, 2011
So the people's reactions pretty much shows furture corperation looking to build and create job in Erie that no one wants them around because they might have to go threw that same hasle. So people just blame yourselves in the future when all the industries leave this town and are replaced by these peanut making tourist jobs. Also an other thing Hammer was probably 10 times worse as they never did anything to improve there emission instead they just kept paying the fines because it was cheaper then upgrading the plant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Dictators Make Good Bosses (Dec '11) May 1 global gaza 45
News Kimberly-Clark Gets It Perfectly Right In Attra... Dec '14 PD_Lape 2
News Lawsuit: Surgical Gowns Let Disease Pass Through Dec '14 PD_Lape 2
News Kleenex maker plans 1,300 cuts Dec '14 PD_Lape 2
News U.S. Ebola fears fuel new demand for protective... Dec '14 PD_Lape 2
News U.S. Ebola fears fuel new demand for protective... Dec '14 PD_Lape 2
News Bank of America and Walgreens Most Active Stock... (Jun '12) Dec '14 fayebryant00 6
More from around the web