International Paper lays off 1,600, c...

International Paper lays off 1,600, closing mill in OK

There are 15 comments on the KFOR story from Oct 22, 2009, titled International Paper lays off 1,600, closing mill in OK. In it, KFOR reports that:

International Paper Co., the world's largest maker of cardboard box materials, said Thursday it is cutting 1,600 positions, nearly 3 percent of the current payroll, as it brings capacity into line with sharply diminished demand.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFOR.

Amy Sawyer -IP Spokesman

Memphis, TN

#1 Oct 22, 2009
This story's reference to the Valliant, OK, mill is incorrect. In fact, the Valliant mill operates three paper machines, one of which has been indefinitely shut down since last November. That machine is now being permanently shut down. This change will have no further impact to employees at Valliant, and the mill's other two machines will continue to operate.
For a copy of the company's official announcement, visit www.internationalpaper.com .
Joey Fergueson

Columbia, SC

#2 Oct 22, 2009
IP sucks.....Amy Sawyer the spokeman for this group of idiots sucks as well.

I'll be glad to see IP totally out of business.
George

Elgin, SC

#3 Oct 23, 2009
Joey Fergueson wrote:
IP sucks.....Amy Sawyer the spokeman for this group of idiots sucks as well.
I'll be glad to see IP totally out of business.
Why would you say this? How has this impacted you in Myrtle Beach?
Personally, I appreciate Amy delivering the message.
time traveler

Mabank, TX

#4 Oct 26, 2009
Today folks I bought some lumber that was imported from SWEDEN. Now how can home depot buy lumber from SWEDEN chaper than a saw mill in WRight City can saw it plane it, and shilp it from a closer place. Yes I know W.C. is shut down courtesy of Weyerhauser. Has the Mill been tore down and moved yet??
stuckinfranklin

Aylett, VA

#5 Nov 1, 2009
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you say this? How has this impacted you in Myrtle Beach?
Personally, I appreciate Amy delivering the message.
George probably because Joey just cares about people in general, Does it have to affect you personally to be sick of seeing what this co. is doing to every mill it purchases. They are the most ruthless co. in the us. wait till they reach their goal and shut all paper mills down in the us and then go to china and brazil and try to sell a case of paper over here at prices you never heard of before!!! Then maybe you will care in SC.
smalltowngirl

Tarawa Terrace, NC

#6 Nov 3, 2009
I agree with the previous poster. IP cares about no one. They have come to Franklin and completely devastated 1100+ people right before the holiday. They are closing a very profitable mill that the wonderful (overpaid) CEO came here a few months ago and assured everyone was safe. IP doesn't want mills in the US or competition. After they finish buying up the competition, and stomping out all of the US jobs they will make most of their products oversess with little regulation & labor cost. But our government will still reward them for being a US corporation. Right now they are being rewarded with alternative fuel credits, while destroying job after job. Is is sickening! Every American should care how these companies are allowed to get by with this.
Dick Patt the Diplomat

Norfolk, VA

#7 Nov 3, 2009
smalltowngirl wrote:
I agree with the previous poster. IP cares about no one. They have come to Franklin and completely devastated 1100+ people right before the holiday. They are closing a very profitable mill that the wonderful (overpaid) CEO came here a few months ago and assured everyone was safe. IP doesn't want mills in the US or competition. After they finish buying up the competition, and stomping out all of the US jobs they will make most of their products oversess with little regulation & labor cost. But our government will still reward them for being a US corporation. Right now they are being rewarded with alternative fuel credits, while destroying job after job. Is is sickening! Every American should care how these companies are allowed to get by with this.
I whole-heartedly agree with you!! What is International Paper going to do when Washington, DC demands that workers overseas be payed the same minium wage we get payed in this country?
Barnhill

Memphis, TN

#8 Feb 24, 2010
time traveler wrote:
Today folks I bought some lumber that was imported from SWEDEN. Now how can home depot buy lumber from SWEDEN chaper than a saw mill in WRight City can saw it plane it, and shilp it from a closer place. Yes I know W.C. is shut down courtesy of Weyerhauser. Has the Mill been tore down and moved yet??
The mill is slowly being eaten away by other mills (2010) just a part of history now.
time traveler

United States

#9 Feb 24, 2010
Lots of people in the office print business are buying from their only source of supply--CHINA FOR PAPER PRODUCTS. It wont be long before CHINA produces most of the paper coming into this country, a lot of the products of card board are also produced in CHINA, especially on the manufacuret products produced in china are in paper paper and plastic products produced in china. So there gooes more jobs to CHINA. pAPER OR OTHERWISE. And we loose more of our manufacturing base alonfg with those lost jobs
whiskeymaker

Valliant, OK

#10 Apr 16, 2011
time traveler wrote:
Today folks I bought some lumber that was imported from SWEDEN. Now how can home depot buy lumber from SWEDEN chaper than a saw mill in WRight City can saw it plane it, and shilp it from a closer place. Yes I know W.C. is shut down courtesy of Weyerhauser. Has the Mill been tore down and moved yet??
Yes they are tearing it down the town is hurting really bad
Quinton

Clayton, NC

#11 Apr 18, 2011
They don'care and they are not very smart about who they shut down ? You would think they all came from D.C.
Jeffery

Memphis, TN

#12 Jun 15, 2011
Here's my thinking. China only produces linerboard made from OCC (Old Corrugated Container) which can only be made into a box a few times before it loses all its' strength capabilities. China is not about to go all out to import Pine trees, build Wood Yards, erect Kamyr Digesters for virgin fiber. Hence, there will always be a need for virgin fiber mills in the US. Since you can no longer get permits from the EPA to build a Paper Mill in the US, the ones here that are profitable must produce.
momof4

Katy, TX

#13 Jun 21, 2011
how about the fact ip sucks because they do not give a damn that an employee is the prime suspect in his wife's disappearance and murder. He lies non stop and abused his wife, then murdered her. This after he had an affair wit a woman who murdered her husband
pappy

Bedford, TX

#14 Jul 3, 2011
MOM, thats real strong language. Bet your a tough old gal to speak your mind. Did you hear about the 54 acres that were searched in Wright City by the law and some possible evidence that was found half buried there???
MarkinCincinnati

Wilmington, OH

#15 Jul 23, 2013
Many of you were awfully hard on International Paper. Realize that they've done the same thing overseas - bought, operated, and then shutdown mills that were no longer profitable: Maresquel and Anould in France, Inverurie in Scotland, and others.

This is the nature of business. Other companies do the very same thing in different industries.

I was "downsized" in 2009, or as my manager at the time said, "We are downsizing, and you've been impacted." Sounds like I was struck by a meteorite!
Life moves on ... More mills will shutdown, and more communities will be gravely impacted. The world is changing, and paper is not needed as much now (though you can't tell that by my desk).

Good luck to all!

Sincerely,
Mark
IP Technology Until October 31, 2009

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Final consignment for Always New 2 You (Jan '10) Mar 17 You Are Mental 10
News The Carrier Jobs Trump Saved Will Be Automated ... Dec '16 natureboy 2
Cheap Kitchens Units For Sale In Manchester Are... Nov '16 Anonymous 1
News Police report: 67 gangs active in Norfolk (Feb '08) Jul '16 pkpkpkpk Boy 29
News Va. GOP nominee compares Planned Parenthood to KKK (May '13) Jun '16 New World Order 9
News Rebuilding black-Jewish relations? (Feb '09) May '16 Wakeup 102
News Softwood deal not to blame for job losses: Harper (Oct '06) May '16 slow and slower 3
More from around the web