International Paper to close Terre Ha...

International Paper to close Terre Haute mill

There are 17 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 24, 2007, titled International Paper to close Terre Haute mill. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

International Paper of Memphis, Tenn., said Wednesday it will close its Terre Haute containerboard mill in the fourth quarter of this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Terrible Haute

Indianapolis, IN

#1 May 24, 2007
Perhaps now the stench will go away.
ptr

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 May 24, 2007
It's unlikely that the stench will go away because of the fertilizer/chemical plant(s) there. I'm afraid you are going to have to continue putting a clothes pin on your nose when traveling by there on I-70.
the original QS

Indianapolis, IN

#3 May 24, 2007
More unemployed bums on the streets of Terre Haute....what a surprise.

Terre Haute sucks.
reality check

Delaware, OH

#4 Aug 7, 2007
Creosote plant and waste treatement facility will still be there. Same smell no paper mill. The real stinkers are still in business.
Jim

Myrtle Beach, SC

#5 Aug 8, 2007
IP sucks....big time....as well as the CEO John Fracci.

This bastard Fracci has run everything he has ever come into contact with into the ground since IP.

He was the head of the Gradner, Oregon mill complex and had the mill set at such a high production rate......logs could not be secured to run the mill. The mill eventually shut down and was sold.

He was give free reign to build an OSB plant in south Georgia.....built the mill and within two years it closed.

Was given control of Masonite after the IP buyout.....Masonite collapsed.....with lawsuits abounding.

Fracci has raped IP and soon will be selling more US papermills (as the land and the wood products no longer exsist. Just wait until more paper production is South America, Europe and China increase. He will close down more US paper mills.

IP is ripe for a buyout due to Fracci and his idiotic management style.
Bill

Mason, TN

#7 Mar 25, 2009
John Faraci is a loser of the highest order. He was hired as a finacial genius. Well, that hasn't worked out very well. He over paid for the Weyerhauser acquisition, tanked the stock price, makes over $13,000,000 per year plus a housing allowance of almost $90k per year, and he and his cronies have ALL set up Rabbi Accts. for themselves... the list goes on and on.. Faraci should have taken a page from Fred Smith at FedEx and taken Just a tiny salary cut, so maybe, just maybe he could have saved some of the jobs he so callously eliminated.. Jerk of the Year... John Faraci ( pronounced
"farce") gets My vote.
IP employee

Arlington, TN

#8 Mar 31, 2009
The sad thing about Terre Haute and all the other mills closing is the loss of jobs, the damage to the economy of the mill towns and the United States economy. If IP were managed better these mills could be saved and if need be innovated for the future. I worry that those in charge are not TRUE IP employees and do not care enough about what IP has stood for over the generations. The only thing they dirty their hands with is money. Why aren't all the stockholders screaming for change of management. Why are all of us standing idly by while American jobs are being chipped away at and sent where labor costs are cheaper and no unions exist (out of the USA).
non-us IP employee

Memphis, TN

#9 Apr 13, 2009
IP employee wrote:
...If IP were managed better these mills could be saved and if need be innovated for the future. I worry that those in charge are not TRUE IP employees and do not care enough about what IP has stood for over the generations. The only thing they dirty their hands with is money. Why aren't all the stockholders screaming for change of management. Why are all of us standing idly by while American jobs are being chipped away at and sent where labor costs are cheaper and no unions exist (out of the USA).
I'm one of those non-US employees except I'm working in a highly unionized country. Anyway, I think its scandalous the policy the company is pursuing now. We as employees are not given the right to express our true thoughts on the matter. So much for the "IP Way".

Lets get the truth out!
John VanChocStraw

Franklin, VA

#10 May 17, 2010
IP sux. Just ask the people of Franklin, VA who have been screwed totally by that company.
Tour Boss

Terre Haute, IN

#11 May 17, 2010
Weston Paper was a successful little company owned by a local family. The mill produced a quality age-old product and was respected throughout the industry. Short of an occasional union disagreement we were a family of hard working dedicated people. Contractors even held allegiance to the plant, treating it as if it were there own. IP bought the mill. We immediately went into decline. Maintenance was shoddy at best, morale plummeted and the product suffered. IP brought in a bunch of educated idiots and things got progressively worse. In a short time we had experienced a near complete rollover in company management and due to this inexperience things were overlooked. Safety became the only thing that IP continued to produce actively. Our incident rate was down but so was business, we were doomed. Then one of the inexperienced burned the boiler down-a total. That was all it took for this dirty butt company to pull the plug. The plant was then parted out by Don Peters who systematically stole anything he could fit out the gate.
Keith

Clearfield, PA

#12 May 17, 2010
I stole that company blind.
Everything I needed I took home.
Employee

Clearfield, PA

#13 May 17, 2010
Keith wrote:
I stole that company blind.
Everything I needed I took home.
I think I know who you are and you are correct you was consider the company thief.
Keith the thief is what several of us new you by.
rick

Terre Haute, IN

#14 Jul 13, 2010
This Mill was still making money but Ip does not care about The city they are in or the employee that work for them many years They are just a tax write off for the money grubbing company.this goes on deaf ears because it is a flat piece of ground NOW
Contractor

Terre Haute, IN

#15 Jul 13, 2010
I was proud to work in that hellhole almost everyday for years. It was like working with family with one goal in mind-to get the product out and keep the machine running. Few plants I work in were of such like mindedness. It was a union plant and we were non union. We were treated with respect by all those that realized that we were on their side-so rare in todays business environment. I think it is absolutely sickening to drive past the old plant today. So much hard work, so many sleepless nights just so see that as the end result. The result of corporate greed. To this day, and it has been 3 years since I last stepped foot in that plant, I refuse to knowingly buy International Paper products. Although my little silent protest means nothing to IP, I know.
Keith

Clearfield, PA

#16 Jul 13, 2010
Contractor
All you need to do is come to my house on Old Paris Rd.
I have half of the plant in my garage,
I stole them blind.

I remember also stealing a generator from my friend Cooper, but he caught me and I had to return it.
I also stole a computer from a guys locker, but I didn't find the charger, and I had to go to Radio Shack to get one.
That was a close call, I almost got caught on that one
KVH
ha ha

AOL

#17 Jul 14, 2010
robbie cooper and keith vanhorn
WTH guy

Terre Haute, IN

#18 Sep 14, 2011
Keith is a thief

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Final consignment for Always New 2 You (Jan '10) Mar 17 You Are Mental 10
News The Carrier Jobs Trump Saved Will Be Automated ... Dec '16 natureboy 2
Cheap Kitchens Units For Sale In Manchester Are... Nov '16 Anonymous 1
News Police report: 67 gangs active in Norfolk (Feb '08) Jul '16 pkpkpkpk Boy 29
News Va. GOP nominee compares Planned Parenthood to KKK (May '13) Jun '16 New World Order 9
News Rebuilding black-Jewish relations? (Feb '09) May '16 Wakeup 102
News Softwood deal not to blame for job losses: Harper (Oct '06) May '16 slow and slower 3
More from around the web