Marvin Windows
Ryan N

United States

#143 Nov 6, 2008
To all who have experienced rotting Marvin windows. From my experience with windows over the years, 99% of the time when a window rots before its time it is caused by poor installation practices. I am a designer for a successful Design/Build firm in Ohio. We have installed thousands of Marvin windows and have had great success throughout the years. Windows can not just be slapped up. Proper installation includes flexible sill flashing & straight flashing on sides & top. Equally as important is installation of Z flashing above the window before the siding material is installed. Window manufactures do not, all the time, honor warranties b/c of poor installation. It maybe in your best interest to question the installer to make sure they properly installed the window before assuming the product is faulty.
Melissa wrote:
I replaced all the windows in my house 14 years ago with Marvin replacements-they are rotting. The vinyl clad is no longer offered as a product-no wonder why. I redid a sunroom with 6 foot windows w/ awnings-they are also rotting. The vinyl is cracked and it looks like driftwood underneath. I have to replace every window in my house. If only Anderson offered the tru-divided lites at the time I would not be facing the expense of replacing my windows. Marvin sticks to their 10 yr warranty! I would not use another Marvin product.
Mark - Merrimac WI

Stevens Point, WI

#144 Nov 6, 2008
Regarding the rotting window I have/had. It had nothing to do with installation. The window sash ( portion that holds the glass) rots from the inside out, that's the problem, you don't see it for lots of years.

I was told by Marvin, that the wicking device in the window, in front of the wood gets plugged with dirt, sand whatever ( very small particals). Then the water stays in the window and does not drain.

The new replacement windows Do Not have the little outside strip that holds
the glass in. They made it that way so thermo pain glass could be changed out if failing, without changing the sash.

The Marvin guy also shared with me... seems like the window that
fail are in houses or area's high up, open spances, lakes etc.
The windows are exposed to more of the sand wind element that
plugs up the drain device in the window.

I hope the problem is gone with the new window, the strip is gone,
so the seal to the thermo pain should seal out the water.

Sorry this got so long, hope it helps.
Mike

United States

#145 Nov 9, 2008
I sell Marvin windows in the Los Angeles area and see problems with clad windows all the time. 95% of the time it is the installer's fault. I also sell Superior Millworks, Jeld-wen and others. All will have problems if installed improperly. Homeowners always want to blame the manufacturer or dealer where they bought the windows because they are easiest to find. Homeowners should spend more time getting a contractor that knows how to install windows. Too many people trying to build a house with not a big enough budget.
Mike B

Quantico, VA

#146 Nov 12, 2008
It sure is funny how people complain about rotting wood windows when, well, they are WOOD! Paint and maintain them like you should and be sure the installation is correct with the proper head flashing and sealant (not latex or silicone)and you can significantly increase the life of any wood or other window. Being an installer of several brands and manufacturers I have the least call backs and warranty issues with Marvin products over most others we have installed like Pella, Weathershield, Anderson. We have installed over 9000 windows and doors since 2004
LUMBER GUY

Crosslake, MN

#147 Nov 13, 2008
I sell an awful lot of marvin products in the course of a year. Marvin Is a great company I wouldn't sell any other brand if I could. When I run into problems like the one's that have been posted here It is usually due to inproper flashing/installation of the unit. If you warrenty has expired I would look at getting compensation from you contractor.
Mike

Tower, MN

#148 Nov 18, 2008
I installed my Marvin clad casements in 1999 & have been battling Marvins ever since re: my constantly frosted windows in the winter. I've had to cover them in plastic every year to keep the moisture off. They're always wet at the top and bottom where the weatherstrip seals. Marvin sez it's my air exchanger. As I write this it is 36% humidity in my house. I've taken my windows down every summer and dry them out in the sun and reprimed and repainted with exterior paint. It doesn't help. AND I've lost 2 windows to the glass cracking. It's been about 5 yrs, but I had a picture window crack last night. They replaced the 1st 2 no charge, but it looks like a fight for this one. I built my house with insulated concrete forms from bottom to top, so I don't think it's my house shifting. I'm definitely NOT happy with Marvin. I read about a guy in CO who built his new house with fiberglass-framed windows and heats his house for pennies. I think I'll check that out a little more.
David w

Saint Paul, MN

#149 Nov 18, 2008
I am becomming aware of the same issue: a 1994 house full of "Flexicron" coated windows that are showing rot at the sills in about 20% of the windows. Our home has been meticulously maintained. I've a second home with 50 year old Pella windows that haven't been well maintained, but they are still in perfect condition. There is clearly a product defect with the Marvin windows.
mary

Warren, OH

#150 Nov 26, 2008
Steve wrote:
Like Melissa, I replaced all the windows and doors in my house with Marvin 13 years ago. At the time they were selling their wood windows with some sort of a highly touted coating. I don't recall what they called the coating.
All my South facing windows are completely rotten with the casement operators falling apart. Their customer service in Oklahoma City is terrible!
I am considering legal action against Marvin and would like to hear from others who might feel similarly.
Again, like Melissa I would never consider another Marvin product.
Surprise, I have Marvin windows and need to have them replaced because they are rotting. I have had the Marvin rep out and he offered me 44% off new windows. I'm not sure if I should even think about putting Marvin's back in.
mary

Warren, OH

#151 Nov 26, 2008
Mike wrote:
I sell Marvin windows in the Los Angeles area and see problems with clad windows all the time. 95% of the time it is the installer's fault. I also sell Superior Millworks, Jeld-wen and others. All will have problems if installed improperly. Homeowners always want to blame the manufacturer or dealer where they bought the windows because they are easiest to find. Homeowners should spend more time getting a contractor that knows how to install windows. Too many people trying to build a house with not a big enough budget.
When someone builds a home and spends thousands of dollars on windows, and 95% of them are installed improperly don't you think it would be in the company's best interest to inform the customer or check out the installation? I had the Marvin rep at my house when building because the builder was having trouble with installing french doors that leaked. And 80% of my widows need replacing after 10 years. Would that be my builders incorrect installation or bad windows?
Ross Alex

Rowley, MA

#152 Dec 4, 2008
I have sold Marvin Windows for 10 years and several post have alluded to this. All the rot that people complain about is never all over the window it is always at the bottom of the window or the sill. This is the part of the window that is most exposed to the weather. If Marvin made bad windows then the windows would be rotting at the tops as well. If Marvin had to concede to every complaint and 90% were created by bad installs then they would be out of business. Check consumer reports #1 Marvin #2 Integrity. Mike from LA is right most bad windows equals bad install. P.S. The ex-Marvin employee is propbaly a ex employee for a reason
larry oleck

Daytona Beach, FL

#153 Dec 4, 2008
I installed Marvin aluminum clad casement windows in a new house in 2005. The inside corners of the clad window frames are separated and water can enter the wood. I was told by Marvin that they do not apply sealant from the inside corner to the outside of the window....that the aluminum is pressed together. The windows have leaked and ruined our wood floors. Has anyone else had a problem with the cladding separating like this. I have a window from the original order that was never installed and it also has a gap in the cladding at the same window corner. Seems like a manufacturing defect to me.
Tom from Kettering

Cleveland, OH

#154 Dec 9, 2008
Jay wrote:
I have a small company in the twin cities that repair rotted frames among many other things to do with windows,and most of the time we can get sashes only(if needed)the repairs are done by replacing the entire piece or pieces of rotted wood.its quite a bit cheaper than replacing windows (especially double or triple units)give me an e-mail if your interested [email protected].
Our church will need to replace our 11 year old windows because 1/3 of them have rotted. Marvin is offering to do at about 50% of full retail. Anyone have better approach?
Dee

Aurora, NE

#155 Dec 15, 2008
I was glad to find this site as we have so much trouble with two aluminum clad Marvin casements. It was -5 this morning and they had a inch of ice on the bottom of the glass down the sash and also water standing all along the frame surrounding the glass. They are about 9 years old and have had a ice and moisture problem since the first winter we had them. The rep. just says to raise the heat in the house and run a dehumifier! We replaced the rest of the windows with Andersons and they are much better so far.
Kent

United States

#156 Dec 16, 2008
-5 in Texas....interesting. Also Marvin and Andersen glass is very similar and produced by the same company, Cardinal Glass.
Dee wrote:
I was glad to find this site as we have so much trouble with two aluminum clad Marvin casements. It was -5 this morning and they had a inch of ice on the bottom of the glass down the sash and also water standing all along the frame surrounding the glass. They are about 9 years old and have had a ice and moisture problem since the first winter we had them. The rep. just says to raise the heat in the house and run a dehumifier! We replaced the rest of the windows with Andersons and they are much better so far.
Kimberly Cook

Wausau, WI

#157 Dec 22, 2008
Mark - Merrimac WI wrote:
Remember everyone from earlier post...all the manufacters had this problem,
Pella, Anderson etc.
I will be out of town till Tuesday, and respond to anyone off line as to how
to get Marvin to step up to the plate.
My windows we're in for twelve years, on a lake, high up, all that can go
bad. They replace all 28 window at no charge, I aggred to stain and install,
not a big deal.
mark
Mark,
I am currently trying to get marvin to look at me windows. We bought them in 2004 and are EXTREMLY MOLDY. I am lookin for some help to figure out what to do. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!! Please contact [email protected]
Janice

Charlotte, VT

#158 Dec 29, 2008
Susan wrote:
We are having major problems with our Marvin windows. we have replaced some and just noticed rotting on other now. What are you doing about this problem. We have only been in this house for 6-7 years??? Thanks for any info
I, too, had/have Marvin windows and they have almost all rotted out. All their windows from 1986/1987 have a product failure. There was a class action suit that was settled a long time ago. You may be able to convince the dealer to give you a break on the cost of the new ones because of the suit. Good luck!
Marc

Bristol, PA

#159 Dec 30, 2008
All window manufacturers had problems in the late 80's through 1995. Specifically rot problems. Pella, Marvin, Andersen and other industry leaders all have the same issues. All manufacturers attribute this to a "coating" problem, basically the paint/finish that was used back then. If you replace windows now, be sure to use an Aluminum clad exterior product.
Doug

Tulsa, OK

#160 Jan 4, 2009
travis wrote:
i am the distributor for marvin in the state of oklahoma if there is anything i can do please call me at consolidaated builders supply in oklahoma city or tulsa
Yes you can fix my leaking doors that CBS installed in 2008.
Mile 99

Westwood, MA

#161 Jan 8, 2009
Marvin warranty is not so long for coastal applications, but generally Marvin will make good on their problems -- But they have had some doozies over the past 20 yrs or so.
another -ex

Randolph, MN

#162 Jan 9, 2009
as an ex-employee (and not a customer after seeing even parents of employees fight for their window repairs) i still take away not so much how they treat their customers, but how they treat their employees.

the official policy is to choose only the most remote and economically destitute areas for manufacturing plants- only those areas with no other employment alternatives. then they hire people 'full time' and reduce their hours brutally (called voluntary furlough) whenever there is a dip in sales.

i can't express how sad and trapped people are when they realize they will only get paid 10 hrs this week, have no idea what/if they will get paid regularly for months then trying to decide if they should sell everything or hang on for another un-pay period

..all while the company publicly boasts of never having 'lay-offs'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Online Music Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheap Kitchens Units For Sale In Edinburgh Area UK Nov '16 Anonymous 1
Sell your Music - UNSIGNED ARTIST – WHOTUNE.COM... (Dec '10) Nov '16 aurae williams 2
[Mac] Easily Make Your iTunes Music Library Cle... (Jan '14) Sep '16 JoshFox 5
Orlando Shooting Was a Hoax - Drill - False Flag (Jun '16) Jun '16 TheMediaLies 1
News WeRmp3.com Has Over 5 Million Songs and Only 8 ... (Feb '09) May '16 ohyesidid 46
News Did new Michael Jackson anthologies empty the v... (Jul '13) Apr '16 Rome 25
Beyonce Hangs A "Snitch" Named Kendrick (Mar '16) Mar '16 KnutesNiche 2
More from around the web