Marvin Windows

Since: Jan 08

United States

#43 Jan 21, 2008
I put Marvin windows in my home in 1990 when I built it and it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. They are CRAP!!!! I have already had to replace two of them, at my own cost, from rot. Several of the others are pulling apart at the corners. My patio door glass had failed and they refuse to replace it. I put Andersen windows in my detached garage and there is no comparrison. They are twice the window. Marvin knows there is a problem with the windows manufactured in the early 1990s and they refuse to help customers with warranty issues. My windows leak air and get ICE on the inside every time it drops below 30 degrees, and yes I have checked the humidity in my home. It stays around 22%. Marvin, you have done a great job of manufacturing a piece of junk and getting the public to purchase it, then offering no help with warranty!!!!!
james

Auburn Hills, MI

#44 Jan 22, 2008
I am a contractor and have repaired hundreds of
rotten marvin window from the 80s and 90s. They tell me they built windows out of improperly cured
and untested woods that did not meet a certain criteria used when building good windows. supposedly corrected now. It is terrible and all you can do is bondo the rot, mill and replace pcs.
or replace. Good luck to all.
Dasein

New Bedford, MA

#45 Jan 24, 2008
I built my house in 1995 and purchased 60 Marvin windows, all of which had an exterior enamel application of something they called "forever" coating, which I was told would last a life time. Fast forward to 2007 and I discovered rot on a couple of windows, then had all the windows inspected and found out that about 40% of my windows are rotting. And they are rotting because the "forever" enamel coating didn't last forever, just long enough for my windows to be out of warrantee. If you're considering spending your hard earned money on Marvin windows, you're better off throwing the money out of one of your current windows.
travis

Edmond, OK

#46 Jan 28, 2008
first of all there is no such thing as something that will last a lifetime that is made of wood and if that is what you were told i would be disappointed with the rep that told me that. with wood windows the main problem is they are never maintained properly by the homeowner if you purchase solid wood windows and paint them you will have to repaint about every 2-years thats because the epa took all the good stuff out of our paints and preservetives so fast grown pine wood will not hold up to the elements. i would suggest either an aluminum clad exterior or a solid mahogany product marvin produces both of these items. and as far as warranties go marvin has one of the best a full 10 years against rot plenty of time to notice a problem before your out of warranty. get into a habbit of checking your windows no matter what brand every spring along with gutters and your plants. alot of times we seem to ignore the exterior of our homes until its to late.
John

Jacksonville, FL

#47 Feb 1, 2008
I have Marvin double hung windows that were installed in 1996. I got unprimed wood windows with white clad on the outside and have no problems.
After installation, I sealed the inside wood with a clear high gloss polyurethane and they look great. I do have a complaints with the screens though: they use cheap plastic spring clips that don't hold up very well and always have to be replaced.
I have HURD windows in the front of my house that were installed in 1994 and those original screen clips are still in working order.
Peter

Pinole, CA

#48 Feb 6, 2008
Dave wrote:
I'm about to purchase a whole house of Marvin casement aluminum clad windows in Lafayette Ca. I see Peggy from Lafayette Ca. posted with negative comments. Am I making a mistake? Thanks for your response.
Hope you can select a better Company than Marvin. We have had horrible experiences with most of the Marvin windows in our dream house rotting out. Also double pane seals leak, causing moisture in space between glass.

Marvin offered a "discount" equivilant to wholesale price. and then shipped many windows to us with no glass..,just partially painted wood frames.

How this rip-off Company ever got a JD Power rating is hard to imagine.
Jake

Idaho Falls, ID

#49 Feb 11, 2008
I love my Marvin windows. I have never seen better. I had bad problems with Anderson and Pella. They are junk.
Jen

Hamilton, OH

#50 Feb 12, 2008
Contact your local distributor and they can supply you with metal screen plungers to replace the plastic ones that keep breaking.
John wrote:
I have Marvin double hung windows that were installed in 1996. I got unprimed wood windows with white clad on the outside and have no problems.
After installation, I sealed the inside wood with a clear high gloss polyurethane and they look great. I do have a complaints with the screens though: they use cheap plastic spring clips that don't hold up very well and always have to be replaced.
I have HURD windows in the front of my house that were installed in 1994 and those original screen clips are still in working order.
John

Levittown, PA

#51 Feb 14, 2008
Peter wrote:
<quoted text> Hope you can select a better Company than Marvin. We have had horrible experiences with most of the Marvin windows in our dream house rotting out. Also double pane seals leak, causing moisture in space between glass.
Marvin offered a "discount" equivilant to wholesale price. and then shipped many windows to us with no glass..,just partially painted wood frames.
How this rip-off Company ever got a JD Power rating is hard to imagine.
Wood is not what it used to be. If you have rot in your windows you most likely have rot in other places like entry door jambs and facia boards. All window manufactures are using the same perservatives and wood type. You may want to paint your windows every 2 years (depending on exposure to the weather) if you expect them to hold up. Insulated glass has come a long way over the years. It is very rare to have problems with glass anymore, reguardless of the manufacturer. FYI most window manufactures buy their glass from the same company.

Try a clad window if don't want to do any maintenence.
Judy B

United States

#52 Feb 15, 2008
Wow, lucky I found this site. We're replacing windows and are looking at the Marvin Fiberglass and Andersen Fibrex. Any comments?
jesse

Philadelphia, PA

#53 Feb 24, 2008
All of our Marvin windows that we put in our house in 1994 are all rotted. The company doesn't seem to care. I guess we have about 40 windows to repair.
oscar

Checotah, OK

#54 Feb 25, 2008
Jeff wrote:
I guess I can join the club. I purchased over 30 Marvin wood, factory primed replacement windows in 1990 and 1991. Several of the windows, expecially on the south and southwest exposure are rotting. In some cases it is the sash in others the frames and in others both.
I had a terse e-mail forwarded to me from Greg Iverson at Marvin stating "Sorry. 1990-91 is out of warranty and beyond the courtesy discount time frame as well".
It is interesting there is not one good comment on this forum about Marvin.
I wonder why.
Perhaps everyone on this page should e-mail Greg and let him know there is a big problem with Marvin windows.
We also have a problem with
19 Marvin Windows most of them are rotten out and
sills are gone these windows all have to be replaced.Would you please give me Greg's E-mail
address Thank You.
JmP42859

North Versailles, PA

#55 Feb 26, 2008
Stay away from Marvin windows at all costs. I am a builder in western Pa and they have the poorest reputation for product support. I have attempted to have windows serviced or replaced do to premature rot. No luck with the factory or rep. Anderson windows have shown the best product support without question.
Dasein

New Bedford, MA

#56 Feb 26, 2008
Hello fellow Marvin lovers.

Here's the deal as I understand it. Wood framed windows and doors manufactured and sold by Marvin between 1985 and 1989 rotted out. These windows rotted out because of the failure of a wood preservative supplied to Marvin by PPG. In 1994 Marvin sued PPG. Marvin won a judgement. PPG paid Marvin $150,000,000 -- that's right -- one hundred fifty million dollars.

Simultaneously, a class action suit was brought against Marvin by people who purchased the windows and doors treated with this preservative. This suit was settled. What did the settlement cost Marvin? According to the settlement, Marvin was required to offer "discounts" of between 38% and 58% on new doors and windows to the injured parties.

Here's a quote from Susan Marvin : "We are very pleased with the settlement. It gives homeowners an opportunity to get a significantly reduced price on replacement windows or doors. Marvin stepped up to the plate and we were able to make this an appropriate resolution for consumers."

Appropriate resolution? On the one hand, Marvin Windows And Doors pockets millions of dollars, but the real injured parties; the consumers, you and me, get a discount from Marvin. Appropriate?

As for those of us who bought Marvin windows and doors in the mid-90's, apparently, the rot has nothing to do with this wood preservative. After all, Marvin filed their suit in 1994 and it's unlikely that they continued to use the faulty preservative after filing suit. The rotting windows and doors we are all suffering appear to be caused by new faulty materials used by Marvin in the 90's.

As for redress from Marvin, I don't think a class action suit is the way to go. The only people who see any real benefit from a class action suit are the lawyers. Class action suits usually involve so many people that, by the time the lawyers have deducted their fee and the rest is split up, there's little left for any one person. As for suing Marvin individually, their corporate lawyers know that it's the rare person who can afford to take them on. They have deep pockets. The average person just cannot afford it. It's extremely expensive. Case in point : John J. Keleher Jr. vs Marvin Windows in New Hampshire. Keleher won a judgement of $57,000. But Marvin appealed the decision to the New Hampshire Supreme Court. By the time it was all over in 2005, Keleher's legal fees were $120,000.

Despite all that, I'm going to give it the old college try with Marvin,(even though I didn't go to an old college). Speaking of college, hello JmP42859. I lived in Canonsburg, PA while attending grad school in Pittsburgh. Nice town.
Robert

Dartmouth, Canada

#57 Feb 26, 2008
Dear Elaine:
I am the manager for Marvin in Halifax and am not aware of your problem, it will be hard to take care of. Please contact me asap so we can address your concerns. [email protected]
not happy wrote:
elaine, don't, All our Marvin Infinity Fiberglass Windows leak.
We are still waiting for Marvin to come up with an acceptable solution.
Stephen

Secaucus, NJ

#58 Feb 27, 2008
Hi. My name is Stephen and I am a Marvin Windows and Doors customer service supervisor for the Long Island, New York City, Westchester, New Jersey, Western Connecticut, and Northern Pennsylvania/Deleware territory. I would be happy to assist anyone who has concerns about their Marvin products. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will contact you directly.
David

Lynchburg, VA

#59 Mar 3, 2008
Steve wrote:
Like Melissa, I replaced all the windows and doors in my house with Marvin 13 years ago. At the time they were selling their wood windows with some sort of a highly touted coating. I don't recall what they called the coating.
All my South facing windows are completely rotten with the casement operators falling apart. Their customer service in Oklahoma City is terrible!
I am considering legal action against Marvin and would like to hear from others who might feel similarly.
Again, like Melissa I would never consider another Marvin product.
i built a new house in 2006 and spent over 70k on Marvin windows and doors,,some were electronic openers as the windows are 14 feet high,,,none of them worked from day 1,my builder went under and the Marvin window dealer went out of business...Marvin is telling me that the electronic parts are not made by them and only have a 1 year warranty,,,i now have 5 Marvin windows i can't open or close....great company?
David

Lynchburg, VA

#60 Mar 3, 2008
i built a new house in 2006 and spent over 70k on Marvin windows and doors,,some were electronic openers as the windows are 14 feet high,,,none of them worked from day 1,my builder went under and the Marvin window dealer went out of business...Marvin is telling me that the electronic parts are not made by them and only have a 1 year warranty,,,i now have 5 Marvin windows i can't open or close....great company?
bud

Honesdale, PA

#61 Mar 9, 2008
i ,ve sold all types of windows in my 20 years in sales ,residential and commercial construction. i have been on many jobs that have had window problems, many of the problems i have found when the window is removed come from installation,(not using and,or using inferior sealant, using inferior tape to wrap the window like an asphault based tape, not properly leveling and shimming). a lot of this also depends on the housewrap that is used and the material used on the exterior, brick drivit,vinyl manufactured stone. all these factors play a role in the life of the window and all installation instructions must be followed exactly from each manufacturer.
Jack Dos Santos

Cummington, MA

#62 Mar 11, 2008
Dave wrote:
I'm about to purchase a whole house of Marvin casement aluminum clad windows in Lafayette Ca. I see Peggy from Lafayette Ca. posted with negative comments. Am I making a mistake? Thanks for your response.
Don't do it!!! I've had nothing but problems with my NEW windows. Absolutely stay away from this company!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Online Music Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Did new Michael Jackson anthologies empty the v... (Jul '13) Apr '16 Rome 25
Beyonce Hangs A "Snitch" Named Kendrick Mar '16 KnutesNiche 2
The Thrill Feb '16 KWAN 1
News A look at iTunes over the years Jan '16 grabbetterlife 1
Aggro Driver '81 industrial music app (FREE!) (May '15) May '15 rivetjoe 1
Britney Spears and Iggy Azalea Perform "Pretty ... (May '15) May '15 musicjehad 1
News 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Ste... (May '15) May '15 A Whistling Tune 1
More from around the web