Marvin Windows
landlord in Seattle

Seattle, WA

#310 Aug 10, 2010
I have a house full of tilt-pac windows. the wood is fine, but the top half of the double hung pair has a tendency to flip OUT of the window and plunge for the ground. I was badly injured last week by one of them and wondered if ANYONE has had experience with Marvin on this?
Brian

Uxbridge, MA

#311 Aug 22, 2010
I built my house in 1992 using all Marvin insulated windows w/argon and the XL coating on the outside which was the baked on coating that didn't need to be painted and was one of the top of the line windows at the time. Well to our surprise, the company realized the coating was "CRAP" but decided not to say anything to any of the customers that bought the windows and when the customers started complaining about rotting windows, they turned their heads and just said, "sorry, out of warranty". Unfortunately, I also think that the dealers of the windows were notified but failed to notify their customers who bought the windows from them. There have been class action law suits, but again, I think that only the dealers profited from that and not the actual customer who now has to deal with replacing rotting windows from a defective product that was know about. I used to think Marvin was a reputable company. NOT anymore! I would certainly not recommend to anyone to buy a Marvin window, especially if you expect it to last. As for customer service, it is non-existent!
Christine

United States

#312 Aug 25, 2010
claudia wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Steve. We have same problem. I'm just sick.$28,000 (not including installation) of rot. Let me know if you learn anything re legal action. Thanks.
The wood preservative that Marvin used was bad and all my windows have been rotting also. They do not stand behind their products.
T Franke

Beloit, WI

#313 Aug 29, 2010
we built a new home in 1997, beginning in 1997 we noticed that rot was beginning on the bottom of one window. Since then 3 additional windows are rotting at the bottom. These are metal clad wood windows. The distributor for marvin came out and told us all the windows (44) will eventuall rot at the bottom because of a defect in the 2 piece cladding. Water leaks at the juncture of the glass andthe cladding down to the wood. I have yet to hear back from the distributor or Marvin.
farmgirl

Sudbury, Canada

#314 Aug 30, 2010
We bought 11 Marvin windows in 2000. The screens are very poor quality and let lots of bugs and flies in the house. Three upstairs windows are covered with ice in the winter (and we run a dehumidifier!) The windows are all double-hung and three have broken sash latches and/or opening mechanisms (cord things in the frame). They were a considerable expense for us and we good poor quality for our money.
Scott

Braddock Heights, MD

#315 Sep 6, 2010
In 2003 we bought a 1928 house that had steel casement windows replaced with marvin casement windows around 1991. They are rotted as everyone else here has described. The ironic thing is that (if I understand correctly) the windows were supplied by marvin for an advertising photo in a magazine. I'd like to advertize the current condition!
John

Dracut, MA

#316 Sep 12, 2010
Patrick,
Our house is nine years old and has all Marvin Integrity double hung windows and every window has mold on the track, some much worse than others, but all nonetheless. we too spend a day every spring cleaning the mold. We are going tp pursue this w/Marvin and are wondering if you, our anyone else had had success in doing so?
Thanks John
Has anyone had a big mold issue in the track of the integrity double hung windows?? I have tried everything and cannot keep it from occuring every year. This is ridiculous that I have to spend a day every spring cleaning the mold out of the window tracks. Marvin claims that it is my fault and won't stand behind their product which, obviously, is defective. One note: I have one newer style Integrity window in my house and it has none of the same problems I listed above. I just heard that Marvin re-designed the integrity window again - if it is a great design, why do they keep changing it?
Steves

Upper Marlboro, MD

#317 Sep 17, 2010
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm looking at buying a house that has all Marvin windows. About $30,000 in windows. All the sashes are rotting but the frames are mostly untouched. I've had a couple of sales people from local marvin dealers out to look at them and all they want to concentrate on is finding an installation problem. Has anyone seen a problem with sashes rotting at the bottoms and mostly in the corners?
Yes-I have about 50 marvin windows in my houuse-The windows are 10 years old and the bottom of the frame trim is rotting on many of them-I met with the dealer and they suggested I replace the frames with a compostite wood-They eplained to me that Marvin used inferior wood when they wre making the windows in the late 90's-I really did not expect the windows to rot out after 10 years but they can be fixed
TREX

Edmond, OK

#318 Sep 23, 2010
News flash all of you people on here are idiots. There is now such thing as a window that doesn't have its fair share of problems. All hail to the almighty Pella corp. that has one of the largest class action lawsuits in the fenestration history making Marvin lawsuit look like chump change. if you own Windows that are made of wood , fiberglass, vinyl or aluminum guess what your gonna have trouble sooner or later.You'll spend 2 or 3 thousand on a flat screen tv and when it goes out in 5-7 years i don't hear people saying their going to sue someone, nope you just go out and by another. We live in a disposal world this is what everyone wanted and guess what we've got it know. So shut up already about your rotten windows.
Tnns1

Lynbrook, NY

#319 Oct 17, 2010
TREX wrote:
News flash all of you people on here are idiots. There is now such thing as a window that doesn't have its fair share of problems. All hail to the almighty Pella corp. that has one of the largest class action lawsuits in the fenestration history making Marvin lawsuit look like chump change. if you own Windows that are made of wood , fiberglass, vinyl or aluminum guess what your gonna have trouble sooner or later.You'll spend 2 or 3 thousand on a flat screen tv and when it goes out in 5-7 years i don't hear people saying their going to sue someone, nope you just go out and by another. We live in a disposal world this is what everyone wanted and guess what we've got it know. So shut up already about your rotten windows.
I agree there is no such thing as a "maintenance free" window that is why they have a 10 year warranty, even the seals go on aluminum windows. Wood windows, even Viny Clad facing the East and Southin particular will always be suseptible to damage. Vinyl and rubber gasquets have a shelf life.
JTR

Old Greenwich, CT

#320 Oct 18, 2010
I am a high end builder and used Marvin ADL on my own waterfront house. The house is a show piece and is painted every 3 years. Guess what? My windows to are rotting as well!! The yard that sold them doesn't want to know anything because they are 10 years old. MARVIN hasn't responded and I have probably used 1 million dollars worth of marvin products!
GPM - Shoreview MN

Minneapolis, MN

#321 Oct 26, 2010
We have approx. 50 Marvin Integrity double hung windows installed in late summer of 2005 (new construction). In February of this year we had a leak in one of the patio doors, which was caused by a cracked frame. Between the contractor and the local Marvin rep (Harmony Homes), they replaced the frame and agreed to pay 1/3 of the cost of removing the old one, reinstalling the door, etc. About a month ago, we had another leak in our 2nd floor windows, which leaked down to the 1st floor, apparently due to a caulk problem. This time the Marvin rep blamed it on faulty caulking on the trim pieces. I hear that there was a problem with defective caulking in the last few years. Anyone else experienced leaking or have information about faulty caulking?
Mary

Saint Albans, WV

#322 Nov 2, 2010
The plastic keepers on our screens are dry rotted how do we replace them in order to keep our screens in place-we have 37 windows-
Mary

Saint Albans, WV

#323 Nov 2, 2010
Our keepers on our screens have dry rotted-how do we replace? we have 37 windows
Jeff

Calumet City, IL

#324 Nov 6, 2010
I recently had Marvin Integrity windows installed. I like the look and they seem to operate smoothly. However, I have noticed air leaks along the sides of the bottom sash on all 7 of the windows. I double checked the installation on all. Accept for one of the windows, they are all plumb, level and square. Also on the bottom left of each window I can see light which amounts to the size of a pin hole. Has anyone had similar problems? Is there anything I can do to fix the air leaks?

Thanks
Brance Anderson

Remer, MN

#326 Nov 16, 2010
I live in northern Minnesota and have Marvin Glider windows facing the lake. They are 6 years old. During the winter they ice up at 25% humidity inside at the window. That's right.........25% verified by two humistats. During the summer with 30+ mph winds our windows inside where the glider slides were filled to the brim with water. Marvin guy came out and said too bad, you have to expect this in northern MN. You should have bought storm windows with your Gliders. Exact windows built in 06 on the other side of the house had NO problems. These are not the same window Marvin use to build back in the 80s. The only sure answer you can get from Marvin now is: "I UNDERTSTAND YOU ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED IN OUR PRODUCT.: Boy, you got that right!!
David

Center Ossipee, NH

#327 Nov 18, 2010
I've been a builder in New England for 40 years & deal with windows 150 years old in our historic homes that seldom saw paint & have held up better than any Marvin window I've ever seen. Rotten sills, rotten sash, failed glass seals, disintegrating weather stripping - dozens of houses - I have replaced Marvin sash with Marvin replacement sash that didn't last five years. I am disgusted, homeowners are screwed. Unfortunately, Marvin is only one of many companies turning out garbage now, we've had our best luck with Anderson products & their service, but they have only just begun to pitch to the NE market with New Englandy looking products.
edith rae brown

Brooklyn, NY

#328 Nov 21, 2010
Melissa wrote:
I replaced all the windows in my house 14 years ago with Marvin replacements-they are rotting. The vinyl clad is no longer offered as a product-no wonder why. I redid a sunroom with 6 foot windows w/ awnings-they are also rotting. The vinyl is cracked and it looks like driftwood underneath. I have to replace every window in my house. If only Anderson offered the tru-divided lites at the time I would not be facing the expense of replacing my windows. Marvin sticks to their 10 yr warranty! I would not use another Marvin product.

er=====
edith

Brooklyn, NY

#329 Nov 21, 2010
I am in the same situation except that I have 70 windows which were custom Integrity by Marvin. They are all rotting and splitting. These windows cost the price of a house and I was told they would be here well after I was gone. So much for that one! Marvin is not standing behind their product and has offered me 10% off of the price of new Marvin Windows! We need to get all purchasers together and have Marvin stand up for what they sell.
edith

Brooklyn, NY

#330 Nov 23, 2010
Steve wrote:
Like Melissa, I replaced all the windows and doors in my house with Marvin 13 years ago. At the time they were selling their wood windows with some sort of a highly touted coating. I don't recall what they called the coating.
All my South facing windows are completely rotten with the casement operators falling apart. Their customer service in Oklahoma City is terrible!
I am considering legal action against Marvin and would like to hear from others who might feel similarly.
Again, like Melissa I would never consider another Marvin product.
How do we contact one another regarding marvin windows?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Online Music Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Online Music Promotion For Musicians (Jul '17) Feb '18 AshleyWoodruff 4
News 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Ste... (May '15) Sep '17 Titan 3
Can I Sync Apple Music to iPod Classic/Shuffle/... (Apr '17) Sep '17 Anonymous 2
The fonz (Jun '17) Jun '17 Enos 1
Cheap Kitchens Units For Sale In Edinburgh Area UK (Nov '16) Nov '16 Anonymous 1
Sell your Music - UNSIGNED ARTIST WHOTUNE.COM... (Dec '10) Nov '16 aurae williams 2
[Mac] Easily Make Your iTunes Music Library Cle... (Jan '14) Sep '16 JoshFox 5