Help Removing Ethanol from E10 gasoline

Help Removing Ethanol from E10 gasoline

Posted in the Oil & Gas Forum

Nerys

Houston, TX

#1 Jun 28, 2011
OK tied of the losses from ethanol. SO I want to get rid of it.

I am not averse to bending the law. the law created this problem so I don't feel much pity for it but I DO wish to stay as safe and legal as possible. so any suggestions in that regard are desired.

Removing ethanol is easy. Mix a gallon of water with 10 gallons of E10. stir Let sit and the ethanol will phase separate from the gasoline and join the water. Once its clear get rid of the water and alcohol and what you have left is Gasoline with no Ethanol.

The problem is every cheap CLEAR container I have found so far to do this process reacts badly to the alcohol. IE it attacks it and the container does not last very long.

They make GLASS 16 and 20 gallon containers (carboys) for wine making etc.. but they are insanely expensive.

suggestions? For storage I plan to only keep a months supply on hand. 40 gallons aught to do it SO in an effort to remain both safe and legal I plan to make a trailer out of a pickup truck bed with twin 20 gallon tanks and store the gas in their. A battery and the existing fuel pumps will allow me to "gas up" my car and my lawn equipment and motorcycle etc.. with E0 and as I use it up I process more and dump it in.

I need to be able to SEE the fuel as I process it for 2 reasons.

#1 to tell when its settled enough that the water has left the gas (ie the fuel is clear)

#2 as I drain off the water ethanol mix I need to see when its drained off and stop it so I don't waste gasoline.

so this makes opaque containers less useful for this process ie needs to be CLEAR.

I also plan to see if there is any market to SELL the 1:1 water ethanol mix at say race tracks etc.. I hear they like to use this combo for direct injection in their engines.

is that viable? if I got $2-$3 a gallon I would be happy as it would "pay" for the loss in removing 10% of my fuel. I just want to break even if possible.

also is there anyway to remove the water from the ethanol to make it more pure? I am wondering if I can use it in an alcohol stove (if that is even safe??)
Bonanza 90D

Sicklerville, NJ

#2 Aug 13, 2012
I strip alcohol from gasoline 50 gallons at a time and fly the gasoline in my airplane. I have been doing this for over 5-years.

I die the water with printer ink I picked up at a computer show.(3 cc's in 5 gallons of water) The ink does not dissolve in gasoline and if it shows up in my sump drain I know it's from the process, not from leaking gas caps.

I calculate the amount of water to give me a 50/50 mix of alcohol & water. I use 2-55 gallon drums. one has a pipe welded into the bottom to remove the alcohol water mix.

I burn the water mix in a steel bucket that contains some scrap pipe. The pipes heat the mix and help vaporize the alcohol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oil & Gas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Japanese solar firm to take on Tesla in roof ti... Dec 12 Solarman 1
Which Gasoline Companies Do Not Use Ethanol? (Aug '07) Dec 12 old green 543
Oilcoin Dec 8 Mwcbg 1
Dr. Daniel Fine on Oil and Gas: Prices and supp... Nov 29 Robert johns 1
News TranCanada donates $200K to rink expansion project (Nov '12) Nov 27 what they do 2 ot... 13
News Oil business seen in strong position as Trump t... (Jan '17) Nov 19 C Kersey 21
News Statement on TransCanada Oil Spill on Keystone ... Nov 17 anonz 2
More from around the web