Bon Jovi: Glad to help

Bon Jovi: Glad to help

There are 57 comments on the Green Bay Press-Gazette story from Mar 1, 2013, titled Bon Jovi: Glad to help. In it, Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that:

On a new song called "What's Left of Me," one of the world's biggest rock stars channels the voices of a farmer, a factory worker, a military veteran, even an unsuccessful musician -- ordinary folks, all struggling to adapt to changing circumstances in our country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Since: Feb 13

Absecon, NJ

#21 Mar 6, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
There is nothing wrong with someone doing honest work for something in return I agree with that. But neither Jon nor Dorothea came up with this idea. Jon probably read Jon steinbeck, ha. However, talk about getting on a soap box. This is and always will be Jon. Its all about him. If he had some class to him he wouldnt even mention it but thats all he does. He uses people and situations to make himself look better. People who dont live here have not a clue what this county has or doesnt have as far as resources or who hel lp s. Seriously, you think Jon is like some God here. Far from it. Nourishing their minds? What do you, these people dont know that their poor? They dont need some snotty rich socialistic elitist reminding them. Jon is nothing to people around here thats why he tries to convince everyone else out there that he is. There are far more here wno give much more for a lot longer than him. Spare me, I dont agree with Bruces political views but at least he has some class to him. Lets see what other books Jon and Dorothea read in the future. Oh what will they bring us next. "please sir, may I have some more."
You don't know what you are talking about. My kids do sports with his kids and he is nothing like your description. Go to the ice cream parlor after the games and you will see. Meet him shopping and you will see. You are just so off base it is a waste of time trying to correct you. You sound like you are jealous and no more than that.

Since: Feb 13

Absecon, NJ

#22 Mar 6, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
sorry bjfan I can be whereever I want just like you. Just because you dont like my views you are a gokd little bon jovi attack dog and call them rants. If you all remember correctly I was commenting on Jons interview in the press. He is the one who said that he had to step aside to let someone wash dishes and that Bruce Springsteen doesnt help others like he does. He is promot ok ng himself. Period. He uses the restaurant to make himself look good. Bruce has done plenty around here. Dont forget people like Bruce and myself included are from hsre not Jon. You dont know what everyone else has done because we are raised to not brag about it nor do we expose others who are poor or sick to make ourselves look better. Jon is a nobody around here compared to Bruce so he should shut up. He must have read the Pavlov experiment, too..he uses innocent people to get what he wants. You dont expose poor people thats not giving them dignity. He has no class.
You don't know what you are talking about. When Jon gave the commencement speech at Monmouth University, he got a standing ovation, not because he is a rock star, but because of his totally inspirational speech to the graduates. He spoke with integrity, respect and real encouragement for the kids in the audience, not about his singing career or his wealth. He was an outstanding orator! Anyone else hear him that day? I'm glad it was him instead of a windbag governor or boring politician! He was inspirational!

And, he is well liked around here! Ask the local people who have actually had a chance to meet or talk to him. You are so off base nofan!

Since: Feb 13

Absecon, NJ

#23 Mar 6, 2013
lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you're not going to be dining at the Soul Kitchen. So be it. You've chosen to see the glass not half empty, but rather not even on the table. Would you like fries with that cynicism?
As far as your mention of fake farming: yes, some people could be accused of that with things like 'farming hay', since even if that is being done the owners can still walk around, ride horses, have their kids play there on that part of the property, etc...but Jon has a section of his property devoted to honey bees. If you had an area of your property swarming with bees would you let your kids play there? Would you lay out trying to get a tan there? Have cookouts during the summer? Of course not, there are bees all over the place. That's the only thing being done there. The land is used for that purpose alone.
The legislation that allows Jon to get that tax break was put in place in 1964 when he was two. He is in compliance with the law. If the law bothers other citizens of NJ that much then they should be lobbying their state legislators to change it. Just b*tching about the fact that Jon legitimately and legally avails himself of such a law does not help the situation.
Further, Lisa, honey bees are being threatened by the excessive use of chemicals. I wish I could have them and contribute to saving them!!
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#24 Mar 6, 2013
Here is a link to the text of Jon's speech.
http://bluehawk.monmouth.edu/~opa/commencemen...

Still looking for video.
Vandy4Now

Beach Haven, NJ

#25 Mar 6, 2013
Knock yourself out Greg4now. Buy some bees, no one is stopping you, save the planet.

(BTW, the bees are being wiped out by a virus, not the use of chemicals)

http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/Category...

"The Farmland Assessment Act of 1964, intended to preserve agriculture in New Jersey, is being used by millionaires, developers and anyone with at least five acres to slash their farmland tax bills by 98 percent."

"The so-called fake farmers are likely costing local governments at least $82 million a year in lost property tax revenues, according to the Press’(Asbury Park Press)analysis of 3 million property and tax records."

"The Press found weaknesses in the oversight of farmland assessment and its sister program for woodlands that allow those whose primary income does not come from farming to exploit the tax law."

"for example,.....20.8 acres along the scenic Navesink River in Middletown (Bon Jovi' street), one of the state’s most exclusive areas.
The address is also the home of Hirair Hovnanian, patriarch of the Hovsons building empire. On the palatial estate, complete with tennis court, pool and boat dock, Hovsons Inc. paid $214,000 in property taxes for 10.3 acres of non-farm assessed land.
Yet for the surrounding 10.5 acres of farm-assessed land, the Tinton Falls-based company paid $31 in property taxes."
If it wasn’t assessed as a farm, the tax on the 10 acres likely would range from $150,000 to $250,000 a year, based on the value of the non-farm Hovsons Inc. land and the assessment of a nearby riverfront parcel.
How did Hovsons do it? To qualify for the tax break, the company sold $600 worth of honey produced by 22 beehives, according to tax records."

Middletown is a very large township with properties on the Raritan Bay that were devastated by Hurricane Sandy. There are hundreds of children in our school system who are now homeless. Homes are being abandoned because the owners cannot afford to raise their homes to comply with the new flood requirements. The town recently closed three local library branches because we didn't have the tax revenue to support them.
Why should people who have lost their homes but still must pay property taxes pay more than Bon Jovi in local taxes? Because he has some bees and donates the proceeds to charity?
He isn't just getting a tax break, in affect at 2%, he isn't paying municipal taxes. These bees have cost all of us who live here millions of dollars. Why do I have to pay more to have my street plowed or have my garbage removed or have police protection than he does?
When his house was burglarized the cops found the guy, prosecuted and convicted him. Who paid for that? Not Bon Jovi, we did.

I think it is wonderful that he claps when your kid scores a goal and shakes your hand in Foodtown.

What he should be doing is thanking you for paying his taxes.

He might do a lot of good things, but not paying his fair share of property taxes is not one of them.

Since: Feb 13

Absecon, NJ

#26 Mar 6, 2013
Vandy4Now wrote:
Knock yourself out Greg4now. Buy some bees, no one is stopping you, save the planet.
(BTW, the bees are being wiped out by a virus, not the use of chemicals)
http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/Category...
"The Farmland Assessment Act of 1964, intended to preserve agriculture in New Jersey, is being used by millionaires, developers and anyone with at least five acres to slash their farmland tax bills by 98 percent."
"The so-called fake farmers are likely costing local governments at least $82 million a year in lost property tax revenues, according to the Press’(Asbury Park Press)analysis of 3 million property and tax records."
"The Press found weaknesses in the oversight of farmland assessment and its sister program for woodlands that allow those whose primary income does not come from farming to exploit the tax law."
"for example,.....20.8 acres along the scenic Navesink River in Middletown (Bon Jovi' street), one of the state’s most exclusive areas.
The address is also the home of Hirair Hovnanian, patriarch of the Hovsons building empire. On the palatial estate, complete with tennis court, pool and boat dock, Hovsons Inc. paid $214,000 in property taxes for 10.3 acres of non-farm assessed land.
Yet for the surrounding 10.5 acres of farm-assessed land, the Tinton Falls-based company paid $31 in property taxes."
If it wasn’t assessed as a farm, the tax on the 10 acres likely would range from $150,000 to $250,000 a year, based on the value of the non-farm Hovsons Inc. land and the assessment of a nearby riverfront parcel.
How did Hovsons do it? To qualify for the tax break, the company sold $600 worth of honey produced by 22 beehives, according to tax records."
Middletown is a very large township with properties on the Raritan Bay that were devastated by Hurricane Sandy. There are hundreds of children in our school system who are now homeless. Homes are being abandoned because the owners cannot afford to raise their homes to comply with the new flood requirements. The town recently closed three local library branches because we didn't have the tax revenue to support them.
Why should people who have lost their homes but still must pay property taxes pay more than Bon Jovi in local taxes? Because he has some bees and donates the proceeds to charity?
He isn't just getting a tax break, in affect at 2%, he isn't paying municipal taxes. These bees have cost all of us who live here millions of dollars. Why do I have to pay more to have my street plowed or have my garbage removed or have police protection than he does?
When his house was burglarized the cops found the guy, prosecuted and convicted him. Who paid for that? Not Bon Jovi, we did.
I think it is wonderful that he claps when your kid scores a goal and shakes your hand in Foodtown.
What he should be doing is thanking you for paying his taxes.
He might do a lot of good things, but not paying his fair share of property taxes is not one of them.
Since you sound just like the very unhappy old guy who hates the Art Program in town, I'll call you the "fraud with 2 names" until I see any reason to do otherwise. Therefore, I won't be reading your fraudulent crap that you concoct because you know NOTHING about the facts. It's Greg or nothing, like I told you once before.
ImHurtByMeanGreg

Beach Haven, NJ

#27 Mar 6, 2013
Hmmm. Quotes from a local paper's investigation are not facts?
But you meeting Bon Jovi in a supermarket makes him a swell guy, was he buying honey by any chance?
Besides, I love Art and his program, I watch it all the time.
You sound like that guy Greg who when faced with a reality he doesn't like just attacks the person who presented it to him while ignoring the reality.
This is an anonymous forum my friend.
Forget the names and deal with the facts and knock off the personal attacks.
You might hurt my anonymous feelings again.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#28 Mar 6, 2013
http://www.redbankgreen.com/2011/02/fox-sprin...
According to Fox reporter Barbara Nevins Taylor, Bon Jovi’s Navesink River estate in Middletown, on which he pays $296,000 a year in local property taxes, is cited for paying just $104 on 6.85 acres used to raise honeybees.

You know it's interesting...if you try researching this topic you can find one site after another with complaints of how little Jon pays for the acres being used for bees...but if you are trying to find the amount of taxes he DOES pay, well that info isn't quite as readily available. I managed to find the above quote and a couple of other sites where those same numbers are referred to, but overall it is very clear that people just want to complain.

One more time:
* The law was put in place when he was 2.
* It is not his fault that lawmakers have not changed the law since then.
* Jon is in good faith compliance with the law since the land is swarming with bees and is not being used for anything else. It is, as the law intended, remaining as open undeveloped space.
* If NJ residents are unhappy about it they need to contact their elected officials to bring about change.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#29 Mar 6, 2013
For those who keep criticizing Jon, watch this video and pay particular attention to 3:15 to 4:00


Jon and Dorothea could have sat in a hotel room in NY and just waited for word that their penthouse or house had power back. Hell, he's got a plane. They could have just jetted off to somewhere with no storm devastation. Instead they halted the normal operation of the Soul Kitchen and spent their days providing meals to first responders and people in shelters. That's the kind of people they are. No, they didn't help every person hurt by the storm, they didn't single-handedly fix every problem created by the storm, but they stepped up and did what they could. And they did it simply because they knew that they could.

If he had never opened the Soul Kitchen they wouldn't have even been in a position to provide those meals. Why don't you ask one of the 300 people who got lunch or one of the 500 people who got dinner that day if they care if Jon gets a tax break for his bees.(And by the way, it was 600 lunches and dinners the next day.)
Gregsbiach

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

#30 Mar 6, 2013
Swarming with bees? Please.

How old was Bon Jovi when they passed the law that said he must declare the 6.85 acres as farmland?

You act as if he has no choice in the matter because the law was passed when he was two.

Another law says you can't drive over 65.

You can do 60 if you want.

"Why don't you ask one of the 300 people who got lunch or one of the 500 people who got dinner that day if they care if Jon gets a tax break for his bees."

No thanks, they don't care and neither do you.

Why don'y YOU ask the people in Middletown if they think it is fair for him to pay $100 a year on 6.85 acres of some of the most expensive real estate in New Jersey?

“It's Just Me”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#31 Mar 6, 2013
Gregsbiach, I get why you think he should pay more for those acres, undeveloped, swarming with bees, as they are, but you are barking up the wrong tree as to who you are angry at. The law that allows ths may well be outdated and wrong, but being angry at Jon, or more correctly Jon's obviously astute, and capable accountants, for doing what, at this time is well within the law is just crazy.
Your anger should be pointed at those that have control over, or the ability to change your states laws, close the loopholes etc...

Since: Feb 13

Absecon, NJ

#32 Mar 6, 2013
lisa wrote:
For those who keep criticizing Jon, watch this video and pay particular attention to 3:15 to 4:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LytuuaSknV0XX
Jon and Dorothea could have sat in a hotel room in NY and just waited for word that their penthouse or house had power back. Hell, he's got a plane. They could have just jetted off to somewhere with no storm devastation. Instead they halted the normal operation of the Soul Kitchen and spent their days providing meals to first responders and people in shelters. That's the kind of people they are. No, they didn't help every person hurt by the storm, they didn't single-handedly fix every problem created by the storm, but they stepped up and did what they could. And they did it simply because they knew that they could.
If he had never opened the Soul Kitchen they wouldn't have even been in a position to provide those meals. Why don't you ask one of the 300 people who got lunch or one of the 500 people who got dinner that day if they care if Jon gets a tax break for his bees.(And by the way, it was 600 lunches and dinners the next day.)
You are marvelous, Lisa!! Keep the good words and truth coming and the crabby nay sayers have no legs to stand on!! ;)
Nofanofjbj

Little Falls, NJ

#33 Mar 6, 2013
Jon got grants from his buddies in washington to open soul kitchen. Soul foundation supplied donations to soul kitchen by way of donations from the public. Food is donated to soul kitchen from various charities. Jon cooked hurricane sandy meals with jar sauce made by the bongiovis which was not selling anyway.tax write offs, tax write offs, tax write offs. Not for new jerseans. For jon bon jovi. publicity? for jon bon jovi. Its everyone elses money that feeds these people. Not jon bon jovi. Oh and votes for his buddies. Hes full of bee honey. We all did just as much during hurricane sandy. We just didnt get on tv and brag about it. He needs to shut his mouth when it comes to what Bruce does around here. Again, Bruce has class.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#34 Mar 7, 2013
Gregsbiach wrote:
Swarming with bees? Please.
How old was Bon Jovi when they passed the law that said he must declare the 6.85 acres as farmland?
No one said he HAD to go this route, but it is a legal option for him and there is nothing wrong with the fact that he has chosen to do this. Please see post #28: he DOES pay close to $300,000 in property taxes. You and others complain about this bee stuff as if he pays nothing at all.

As I said, he is in full compliance with the legislation. If you're not happy with the legislation then talk to your elected officials.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#35 Mar 7, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
Jon got grants from his buddies in washington to open soul kitchen. Soul foundation supplied donations to soul kitchen by way of donations from the public.
Soul Foundation is a charitable organization that applies for grants just as other charities do. It is not beholden upon Jon to personally and indefinitely fund the Soul Foundation (and by extension, the Soul Kitchen) by himself. You referred to Washington and the public as if there is something wrong with such an organization receiving funds from those sources. There is nothing wrong with the government giving a grant to an organization that builds homes and provides meals, nor is there anything wrong with people donating to such a cause. Not every person who agrees with the mission can be there to carry it out. For many of us, our way of helping to improve the situation is to donate.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#36 Mar 7, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
Food is donated to soul kitchen from various charities.
First, there is nothing wrong with that. Second, you state that as if that is how they get all of their food. When people pay for their meals, it helps to purchase more food. Have you not paid attention to the explanation of how this works?
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#37 Mar 7, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
Jon cooked hurricane sandy meals with jar sauce made by the bongiovis which was not selling anyway.tax write offs, tax write offs, tax write offs.
I’m sorry to disappoint you…well, actually I’m not…but the fact is the Bongiovi Brand Sauce has just recently gone from online-only sales to grocery store shelves. The stores would not have given shelf space to the sauce if the company did not have strong sales figures to show for it. Tony just put a message on the company’s Facebook page asking people to contact Publix to stock the sauce because they are in competition with 50 other brands for shelf space. The fact that other stores have chosen to stock it speaks to the demand for, and quality of, the product.

As far as a tax write-off is concerned, they gave a couple of hundred jars, which produced 600 pasta meals. The jars sell online for $8, but are less in the stores. Even if the company claimed the full $8, at around 200 jars that makes for a donation valued at approximately $1,600. Nowhere near enough to act as a major tax write off that would truly change or impact their accounting for the year.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#38 Mar 7, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
Its everyone elses money that feeds these people. Not jon bon jovi.
As I said earlier, I can write a check to the American Cancer Society. It doesn’t mean I am going to find the cure myself. I’m not a scientist, I’m not going to be part of the end result when a cure is found. I’m a part of the solution at the beginning of the process when I make a donation to help fund the research.

Jon was part of the end result. He did not personally fund all of the food they served, but he and Dorothea and the small group of people who were there at the Kitchen are the reason hundreds of people ate that day. They prepared the food, they got it to the people who needed it.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#39 Mar 7, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
We all did just as much during hurricane sandy. We just didnt get on tv and brag about it.
First of all,“we all did just as much”? Really? You fed 600 people a day? Well then I applaud you.

If you watched that spot on Katie Couric’s show and felt that he was bragging about what they were doing, you’re a very sad, cynical individual. Do you honestly feel there was any party of that interview that was bragging or do you just hate Jon and this is the currently convenient thing for you to complain about?

If the coverage on the news was just a reporter at a desk saying “there was a storm and there’s been damage” people would only pay it minimal attention. Pictures and video of the damage, interviews with people who have been displaced…those are the things that make people sit up and take notice. Those are the things that bring in the donations. He doesn’t need people to donate to the Soul Kitchen so he can have a meal. He can provide for himself quite easily. He provided for others and he was able to do so because people had given money prior to Sandy.

You claim that Jon just looks for publicity for himself. Really? He participated in the NBC telethon where they asked for donations to the Red Cross. He participated in the Madison Square Garden show and raised money for the Robin Hood group in NYC. Those two events were of a much higher profile than his appearance on Katie Couric’s show and they were not to benefit the Soul Foundation or Kitchen.
lisa

Jamaica Plain, MA

#40 Mar 7, 2013
Nofanofjbj wrote:
He needs to shut his mouth when it comes to what Bruce does around here. Again, Bruce has class.
Bruce may have class, but he is not the reason hundreds of people got meals in the days after Sandy hit. You don’t seem to realize this, so I’ll explain it for you. You keep saying that Bruce doesn’t brag about what he does, but the fact is Bruce does not have a foundation. He may mean well, he may make appearances, help others raise funds, etc. but he himself does not make anything happen. Jon started the Soul Foundation to help resolve (not solve the problem on his own, but help to resolve) the issue of homelessness. His foundation has built homes, his foundation has provided meals. His foundation is the reason that hundreds of people have roofs over their heads and food on their plates.

When you have an organization like that you have to get the word OUT or you’re not going to get the funds IN. If Bruce had his own foundation he’d be in the same position.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Non-Profit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pence visits Focus on Family amid change for re... 23 hr cpeter1313 6
News LA County leaders to consider $3 million legal ... Thu spytheweb 4
News Bon Jovi was surprise guest at Jefferson Awards... Jun 20 BJ Fan 1
News Pro-Trump group targets Ossoff in Ga. special e... Jun 6 Trump your President 4
News Former sex slave whose charity helped other sur... May '17 Speaking Reality 2
News Hillary Clinton Announces New Political Group O... May '17 okimar 33
News Editorial: An outrageous arrest May '17 Frank 1
More from around the web