The Shale Gas Debate Gets Personally ...

The Shale Gas Debate Gets Personally Anonymous

Posted in the Natural Gas Forum

Joe Massaro

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Apr 23, 2013
Increasingly, opponents of shale gas are using social media under anonymous names. Janice Gibbs, a victim of this anonymous name-calling, calls out the perpetrators and urges them to exercise the courage of their convictions.

Shale gas development has transformed our lives as Americans; from the national economic revival to the impact fees for local communities. It has truly been a win-win situation all around, especially where I live in Washington County. However, not everything surrounding natural gas development has been a good thing. People who do not agree with it have turned to social media to bash those who do not share their same views. I myself am a victim of what, I would say, amounts to cyber bullying.

I never thought my views on something as positive as natural gas development would create significant backlash. I know I am not the only person that deals with this on a daily basis, and it has almost made me stop wanting to speak out publicly. But this is something that I believe in, not only for my local community, but also for our nation. As I’ve written about before at Energy In Depth (EID), I do not own the rights to the natural gas beneath my land, but I love my community and my country; I absolutely believe natural gas is benefiting and will continue to benefit both. However, I have been attacked over and over again on the Canon-McMillan Patch website, at the Observer-Reporter, and even here on the Energy In Depth blog.

To read the full story click here -

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Natural Gas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help thanks in advance Aug '16 Brey2326 1
Private natural gas well (Jan '06) Aug '16 David Mitchell 772
News Power generating station beginning to take shape (Jan '08) Jun '16 how they get thei... 121
News TranCanada donates $200K to rink expansion project (Nov '12) May '16 how things get OK... 8
News Worker injured at TransCanada plant (Mar '10) Apr '16 tricky trusts en ... 9
News Power company hunting Harry (Apr '16) Apr '16 Flo 1
Natural Gas in my well water Naturally occurrin... (Jan '11) Mar '16 janiegirl1948 9
More from around the web