Martin Guitar Still The Top After 175...

Martin Guitar Still The Top After 175 Years

There are 16 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 14, 2008, titled Martin Guitar Still The Top After 175 Years. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Just don't ask him to play one in public. "I'm an abysmal guitar player," confesses Martin, sixth-generation CEO of the guitar maker C.F. Martin & Co.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Gregory L Banks

United States

#1 Jun 17, 2008
Best acoustic guitars in the world!
Somewhere In Connecticut

Newington, CT

#2 Jun 17, 2008
Gregory L Banks wrote:
Very good--but then so isn't a Gretch Country Gentleman for an electric. I know both quite well.
Some Jerk

Baltimore, MD

#3 Jun 17, 2008
I have a D28 Marquis which is nice. But if my house was on fire, I would grab my Gibson J45 first.

And what's up with that John Mayer quote? He is the most narcissistic rock star since Axl Rose.
gitaar

United States

#4 Jun 17, 2008
There are a lot of very good guitars available today from nontraditional sources like China. Guitars made of all solid woods and have bone nut and saddles that cost hundreds less than Martins.
Fred

Granby, CT

#5 Jun 17, 2008
.....but they do not sound like a Martin!
Some Jerk

Danbury, CT

#6 Jun 17, 2008
Another thing about that article is misleading. Almost any famous guitarist has played a Martin at some point but not all of them are primarily known for it. The included Bob Dylan even though Dylan is far more famous for playing Gibson acoustics than Martins. Dave Matthews does still play Martins for solo gigs but almost always plays a Taylor when he's playing with his band--like this weekend at the Dodge.
Captain Morgan

United States

#7 Jun 17, 2008
Fred wrote:
.....but they do not sound like a Martin!
Not everyone is in love with the sound of a Martin. They are very nice, well made PRODUCTION guitars. That doesn't nearly qualify them as the best acoustic guitars in the world as someone here suggested. I recently played one of their Roger McGuinn 7-string models for a few days, and it was interesting. The 7th string thing really worked out well. When I first heard about it, I thought it sounded like a dumb idea, and basically a gimmick.
Brent

London, UK

#8 Jun 18, 2008
Martin soes have a nice sound
Pablo

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Jun 18, 2008
There are other fine guitars out there, no question, many of them deliberate copies of classic 1940s Martins, others veering off in different directions. But Martin's own guitars have a combination of tone, playability and affordability that's very hard to beat. I've had mine for over 25 years, and while I can pick all kinds of nits about it, I've never found a guitar I liked better.
Brent

London, UK

#10 Jun 19, 2008
For a brand they are among the best
Conn Jankeey

Linden, NJ

#11 Jun 19, 2008
very nice- now how about an article on Johnny Winter
Conn Jankeey

Linden, NJ

#12 Jun 19, 2008
I'm not from Linden
Prospect Expert

Hyattsville, MD

#13 Jun 19, 2008
Conn Jankeey wrote:
very nice- now how about an article on Johnny Winter
That would be a good read. Also, how about an article on the National Resonator?
Panhandle Pete

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#14 Jun 19, 2008
Is a Martin acoustic guitar as good as a Gibson acoustic guitar?

How do the new guitars compare to the guitars built 40-50 years ago?
Brent

London, UK

#15 Jun 19, 2008
I like the tone better
Hopefulist

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Dec 14, 2013
Gregory L Banks wrote:
You would not know, Greg as you are mentally ill

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Music Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News News 1 HRS Ago Country star cancels 25K tickets... Tue okimar 1
News Fox News host Brenda Buttner dies at age 55 Tue okimar 1
News Life in Limbo: Diary of a Syrian Mom Affected b... Feb 17 USA Today 1
News News conferences raise issue of Trump seeking s... Feb 16 ardith 2
News Fake news: Tips on how to distinguish it from t... Feb 16 ardith 2
News News 10 Mins Ago Ap Fact Check: Are immigration... Feb 11 USA Today 1
News The Final Solution: No News is Good News Feb 9 USA Today 1
More from around the web