Crash closes eastbound I-270 near Worthington | The Columbus Di...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

A bad crash has closed the eastbound lanes of I-270 near Worthington this morning.
Comments
1 - 20 of 55 Comments Last updated Apr 15, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hmmm

Monroe, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Little green car pancaked under a truck/trailer with a tractor on it...
Chad B

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

"traffic is reportedly heavy in the area." That would be an understatement. It is backed up all the way past 33/161
Wow

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Oh no, prayers going up for the family of the person or persons in the car. What a terrible tragedy :(
TOM

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

Hmmm wrote:
Little green car pancaked under a truck/trailer with a tractor on it...
Driver of little green car probably did something stupid.
A heavily loaded semi can't stop on a dime.
Nucnac

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

That is a hooribly dangerous road every working day. Suicide merges and exits. Can't ODOT prioritize this project?
Just Think About It

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

Nucnac wrote:
That is a hooribly dangerous road every working day. Suicide merges and exits. Can't ODOT prioritize this project?
Agreed. Even on the best of days, this is a mess.
270 traveller

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

No surprise- that stretch of 270 is a nightmare- whoever designed those merges around 270 and 315 should be shot. I'm surprised more horrible accidents don't occur along here. I HATE driving this stretch of highway.
Tiffany

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

I just started working in Westerville last week, after working downtown for the past five years. I would take the downtown commute over the highways up here any day. I feel like I'm taking my life in my own hands everytime I get on 270.
JLO

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

270 traveller wrote:
No surprise- that stretch of 270 is a nightmare- whoever designed those merges around 270 and 315 should be shot. I'm surprised more horrible accidents don't occur along here. I HATE driving this stretch of highway.
Those merges, etc. were designed when the north side of Columbus stopped at Worthington. Even Dublin was still farm country. They worked just fine for the traffic they were designed for. Obviously things have changed and the freeway systems and roads always seem to be the last things to get fixed to keep up with the increase in housing/population. It is the same over on my side of town, the far west side, too. Dangerous backups every night to get off on Broad St. off 270, Rome-Hilliard off 70, Cemetery off 270...etc. And I work downtown - you should try the 70/71 split merges - talk about suicide merges, those are the worst....No matter what I sure hope the person/people in the car are okay!!!
Unrepentant Cynic

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

270 traveller wrote:
No surprise- that stretch of 270 is a nightmare- whoever designed those merges around 270 and 315 should be shot...
Well, if government keeps doing the great job they're doing, and with a little luck, you just never know.

I've always agreed with the argument, "the risks of working for government should always outweigh the benefits."

I just hope everyone involved in the accident gets through. Especially the families with loved ones.
TOM

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

Perhaps it's time for an outer outerbelt? Something to remove the "just passing through Columbus on my way to someplace else" traffic from the daily commuter traffic?
Just Think About It

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

TOM wrote:
Perhaps it's time for an outer outerbelt? Something to remove the "just passing through Columbus on my way to someplace else" traffic from the daily commuter traffic?
Wasn't this discussed a few years ago? I seem to recall some survey or such about putting an outer-outer belt through Delaware county, but I have no idea where that would be, considering how built up the area has become. I agree though, it sounds like it might be time to consider something like that.
hay hay

Blythewood, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

and i wonder why geico charges me redic rates... i THINK its cus they know between our ethnic crowd with no insurance and 270 your bound to get hit by someone or u hit them every 4 years...THEY KNOW!!!
the truth hurts

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

TOM wrote:
No way that would happen. It would be cost prohibitive and people are already whining about taxes. For brand new road, it costs about $4 million per mile. With all of the development north of 270, where, honestly, would you get the land? Plus all of the local residents complaining about a highway moving next door to them and the people that would end up losing their homes from "big government" through eminent domain, the idea would be killed before it started.

You will not see that type of expansion in our lifetime. The best you could possibly hope for is a double decker road like the ones that you see in Los Angeles - the upper deck being for through traffic and the lower deck for local traffic. That would end up costing probably $15 million+ per mile. I do not see that happening either.
5XNW

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

An 'outer' outer-belt?! What would be the point? Maybe we can do what Houston has done, and is in the process of doing. Build an 'older' outer-belt, then build another one, and then build another one even further out. Why not, right???

Traffic in Columbus does not warrant the construction of another outer-belt by any stretch of the imagination.
knowbettadenu2

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

Columbus needs a light rail system that goes north/south and east/west. A good rail system would lighten the traffic on the roads. Sigh...I know I'm just dreaming...
Act Like An Adult

Saint Joe, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

Just Think About It wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't this discussed a few years ago? I seem to recall some survey or such about putting an outer-outer belt through Delaware county, but I have no idea where that would be, considering how built up the area has become. I agree though, it sounds like it might be time to consider something like that.
You may be thinking of the proposed I-73 project, an interstate running between Michigan and Myrtle Beach. It would come into Delaware County and merge with I-71.

http://www.i73sc.com/maps.htm
Nick

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

The same people who say that these highway designers should "be shot" will be on here complaining about construction when they get around to fixing that area. It's not a dangerous stretch at all if you drive the speed limit, pay attention to traffic, DON'T talk on your phone, and drive like a thoughtful, considerate person.
Just my opinion

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Judged:

I was headed west bound and saw the pickup truck that was totally smashed... I don't know how the driver could have survived and if there was a passenger they'd have even less chance. I hope everyone pulls through okay. Very scary... My thoughts are prayers are with everyone involved... I'll be even more cautious when driving home tonight.
Just Think About It

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Act Like An Adult wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be thinking of the proposed I-73 project, an interstate running between Michigan and Myrtle Beach. It would come into Delaware County and merge with I-71.
http://www.i73sc.com/maps.htm
Thanks, I think you are right, and that is what I am recalling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••