Deer Valley: snowboarding ban will re...

Deer Valley: snowboarding ban will remain intact - The Park Record

There are 28 comments on the Park Record story from Nov 25, 2011, titled Deer Valley: snowboarding ban will remain intact - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

Deer Valley Resort says it intends to keep its snowboarding ban intact, a policy that has been in place since the resort opened in the early 1980s.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Occupy Deer Valley

Herriman, UT

#1 Nov 25, 2011
OPC should move to that resort in favor of snowboarders, unbelievable we still have discrimination in the century we live in.
Uninterested Bystander

Lansing, MI

#2 Nov 26, 2011
Occupy Deer Valley wrote:
OPC should move to that resort in favor of snowboarders, unbelievable we still have discrimination in the century we live in.
Being born white, black, asian or heterosexual is a completely different deal than being a snowboarder. Snowboarders chose willingly their affliction.
dgg

Waukegan, IL

#3 Nov 26, 2011
"..Coleen Reardon, the marketing director for the resort, said in an interview Deer Valley's skiers consistently indicate they prefer the skier-only policy. "
Biased survey. You are interviewing the people who are already at the resort! What about those that didn't come due to no boarding. You have to interview them. Where did you get your marketing degree Coleen? Maybe you need a refresher course.
If you want to say , "we are making a ton of dough just allowing skiers", then say it.
Scott

Park City, UT

#4 Nov 26, 2011
Thats the beauty of PC! All 3 resorts are so different in clientle and terrain. Deer valley is what is and it works for them. Their only problem is when the grey hairs die off and the next generation wants to ski parks. Deer valley dosent need to allow snowboarding but the lack of terrain parks will be a mistake. Snowboarding Deer Valley wouldn't be good anyway, it's too flat....
Part time resident

Miami, FL

#6 Nov 26, 2011
As a Skier whose wife was run over by a snowboarder, we ski Deer Valley. I don't dislike the boarders but feel safer without them. There are numerous resorts in the PC and SLC area that allow boarders so who cares if DV excludes them. As for the other poster that thinks that the grey hairs will die out and leave no demand for DV, think again. My teenagers, and the teenagers and kids of the grey hairs that you mention love skiing at DV. So you just keep boarding all over town, just not at DV. It will continue to thrive. Have a nice life and respect the choices that we all make and where we choose to spend time with our families.
Matt

Coes Creek, Australia

#8 Nov 26, 2011
This "debate" is a complete waste of time. The skier v snowboarder, DV hate club should save their breath.
Let me make it simple. Deer Valley is a BUSINESS. They operate their business on private land. They choose to make their resort skier only. That is their choice as a business.
As soon as it hurts that business, they will change the policy. Right now, that's not the case at all. So it remains.
Arguing that they are being discriminatory is a joke. It's the exact same as me going to Burton and arguing with them because they don't make skis. Or going to McDonalds and asking for a fancy Italian feast with all the trimmings. They just look at you funny, offer you a hamburger and ask you to leave quietly.
So put your ski v snowboard debate away, go back to the mountains, ride some pow and enjoy it any which way you like to slide down the mountain. Real mountain riders don't care and roll their eyes up yet again.
If it's such a huge issue for you and you feel like you're missing out. Here's an idea for you....
Go and find some private land and build a successful snowboarder only resort. No-one will get in your way. Seriously, go for it, it might work, who knows?
The funny part is when someone says, I don't want to ride that lame hill anyway as their final retort. Well that's you're own choice ( remember choice? Like DV's skier only policy business choice?) Most people out there aren't advanced riders in this industry and DV happens to be largely intermediate fall line runs to high speed lifts. Something that a lot of snowboarders would love.
So let the debate rage on. But realise that you are fighting a non-existent battle on a playing field that will just tell you to get off your soapbox and go home.
Scott

Pleasant Grove, UT

#9 Nov 26, 2011
captain obvious wrote:
In the 18 years I've been snowboarding, I've come to the realizations that not all Skiers are hypocritical two faced xenophobic douchebags...... their mostly just pretentious spoiled rotten filthy rich fruitbooting pansy plankers........ so keep your mountain to your self deer valley, and soon enough your clientele volume will atrophy away into nothingness
You forgot, one piece fagbag wearing...
david

Coalville, UT

#10 Nov 26, 2011
deer valley...alta... mad river glen...my 3 favorite places to ski
DV skier

West Jordan, UT

#11 Nov 26, 2011
LOVE skiing DV because they don't allow snowboarders.
Snowboarders criticize DV so much, I don't know why they care that they don't allow boarders.
Like Matt said: DV is a business and they can do whatever they want.
If you want to snowboard, there are plenty of other places you can go.
Im Just Sayin

Lutz, FL

#12 Nov 26, 2011
Wow. Last week all the hate was towards Canyons. This week Deer Valley. Look out PCMR. Your up next week.
Snow Goose

Scottsdale, AZ

#13 Nov 26, 2011
Deer Valley voted the most likely place to ski into a mine shaft.
Park City Ski Family

West Jordan, UT

#14 Nov 27, 2011
We ski at Deer Valley because they don't allow boarders! And the great service. And the clean bathrooms. And the great grooming. And the carrot cake, don't forget the carrot cake!
DV is for poachers

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Nov 27, 2011
Hide your woman! Those crazy Snowboarders are gonna get ya!
SKIING ONLY DV

Toledo, OH

#16 Nov 27, 2011
My sister has been hit and injured 2x by snowboarders, after her surgery and 6 mo rehab, she is coming to DV this year because she would like to ski with no snowboarders around to hurt her again. I love that DV is skier only. As for the comments about white hair, look at all the children skiing DV and my nephew who started at 2 and now at 27 only wants to ski DV. Keep the niche market alive DV.
PC Rules

Salt Lake City, UT

#17 Nov 27, 2011
I ski and think DV is ok. The terrian does not impress me, but it does have some other great attributes. But if you ski DV with plans not to get hit by boarders, you will get hit by skiers. Anyone remember the accident with Stein Erickson smacking into someone at DV going 50 mph! Both my 10 year old and 6 year old have been hit by Skiers, with one of those times being at DV. The issues is not being on a board or skis, it's the person on the equipment. Both "DV Skier" and "David" are the types of idiots who ran over my kid at DV and they are the issue... not the equipment.
Really

Park City, UT

#18 Nov 27, 2011
Matt wrote:
This "debate" is a complete waste of time. The skier v snowboarder, DV hate club should save their breath.
Let me make it simple. Deer Valley is a BUSINESS. They operate their business on private land. They choose to make their resort skier only. That is their choice as a business.
As soon as it hurts that business, they will change the policy. Right now, that's not the case at all. So it remains.
Arguing that they are being discriminatory is a joke. It's the exact same as me going to Burton and arguing with them because they don't make skis. Or going to McDonalds and asking for a fancy Italian feast with all the trimmings. They just look at you funny, offer you a hamburger and ask you to leave quietly.
So put your ski v snowboard debate away, go back to the mountains, ride some pow and enjoy it any which way you like to slide down the mountain. Real mountain riders don't care and roll their eyes up yet again.
If it's such a huge issue for you and you feel like you're missing out. Here's an idea for you....
Go and find some private land and build a successful snowboarder only resort. No-one will get in your way. Seriously, go for it, it might work, who knows?
The funny part is when someone says, I don't want to ride that lame hill anyway as their final retort. Well that's you're own choice ( remember choice? Like DV's skier only policy business choice?) Most people out there aren't advanced riders in this industry and DV happens to be largely intermediate fall line runs to high speed lifts. Something that a lot of snowboarders would love.
So let the debate rage on. But realise that you are fighting a non-existent battle on a playing field that will just tell you to get off your soapbox and go home.
Right on, Matt. There are 14 resorts in Utah and boarders are welcome at 12 of them. Boarding is a great sport but it is different from skiing. It isn't that boarders are more likely to injure someone. It's just a different sport. The snow is molded differently...different shaped bumps for example. It's great that the skiers have a couple of pure spots. I love DV for a lot of reasons and ski-only is high on the list. By the way, I don't have any gray hair.
Run and tell that

Salt Lake City, UT

#19 Nov 27, 2011
DV is for poachers wrote:
Hide your woman! Those crazy Snowboarders are gonna get ya!
Hide your kids! Hide your wife! HIde your kids! Hide your wife! And hide your husbands cuz they're crashing into everyone out here!
Boston Bourne

West Jordan, UT

#20 Nov 27, 2011
Occupy Deer Valley wrote:
Please "Occupy" a library and educate yourself. Your comments are misguided abuse of the word discrimination. Considering how much real discrimination there is in our world, diluting its meaning by attempting to apply to a situation of legal choice by a business is just plain ignorant. In the same way our constitution projects your right and the "Occupy" movement's right to free speak (despite how wrong or misguided they might be), our laws appropriately allow businesses to make decisions as to the type of goods and services they provide and their selected target markets. Fortunately Snowboarder are NOT a protected class and DV choices to only service skiers. These are the facts and our law despite how disappointing this reality might be your entitlement mindset.
Mumbo jumbo

Salt Lake City, UT

#21 Nov 27, 2011
Love DV and the "No Boarder" policy. I wear a one piece and enjoy groomers year after year at DV.

I love the food and the Green Bay colors on the workers.

If DV allows knuckledraggers I will go to Alta.
Scott

Pleasant Grove, UT

#22 Nov 27, 2011
"Fortunately Snowboarder are NOT a protected class and DV choices to only service skiers. These are the facts and our law despite how disappointing this reality might be your entitlement mindset"
It's pretty obvious you're the one with the "entitlement mindset".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 2 hr neighbor 2,043
Innovation in Medical Social Media Marketing Jul 13 SummerBB8 1
News Protesters, security gather for opening of Trum... Jul 12 canuckistan probz 20
News Haredi Community - , 5:42 AMNetworking, Learnin... (Jun '16) Jul 11 L I G E R 4
News Questions Surround HPV Vaccine Gardasil (Jul '08) Jul 9 Delacanal 113
Best Way To Market In To Make An Announcement Jul 5 Heather 1
News Broadcast expertise lasted a lifetime (May '08) Jul 1 Budd 15
More from around the web