Nuts & Bolts / Auto Industry Notes: Feds investigate VW Passat fires

Oct 26, 2007 Read more: Atlanta Journal-Constitution 15

“You identify the arrow pattern faster than a light”

Federal regulators are expanding an investigation of reported fires in 2000-03 Volkswagen Passats. via Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Read more
Bill Mc

Tarzana, CA

#1 Dec 31, 2007
My 2000 VW Passat caught on fire Dec 28, 2007. I had it towed to a nearby dealer for service and was informed that the fire was caused by a faulty ignition coil. The final cost to repair (if it can be repaired) is still being investigated. I find it very perturbing to find out that VW knew of these (coil) defects yet did nothing to inform owners. I had two small children ages 2 and 4 in the vehicle at the time of the fire. Fortunately, my quick instincts put the fire out with limited engine damage and without casualties.

Since: Dec 07

the woods, Pa

#2 Dec 31, 2007
Interesting. I had an 86 dodge caravan/mitsubishi and was on my way to the beach when I decided to turn on the ac, not knowing that the compressor had burned up. At first it blew warm air, so I have it a second to cool off. Then, it blew smoke through the vents! I pulled over, popped the hood, and pulled it up to find my engine litereally on fire! I threw a beach towel on it to smother it, and ultimately saved my vehicle.
Boston Fire

Fall River, MA

#3 Jan 21, 2008
I have a Volkswagen Passat 2005. I drove 2 miles and I saw my check engine light start to blink. Before I could pull the car over I noticed my hood was starting to melt and there was black smoke bellowing from under it. I called 911 before my care even stopped. I was on a Highway with no breakdown lane during rush hour. All I could think of was my car exploding or being rear ended by a 45' truck. The deal said that he has never heard of a VW catching on fire. He alsp pointed out that the ignition cables were totally melted. This just happed 2 days ago and this is a holiday weekend. I can not believe that this is a known problem. I would have thought the problems with the Valve recall that Volkswagen had a few years back would have taught them a lesson. I have had BMW's and VW's the last 21 years. I am thinking twice about my next auto purchase.
New owner

Westbrook, ME

#4 Apr 20, 2008
Here's a great one - I bought a 2007 Passat yesterday and today, the car caught fire. Engine started knocking and the check engine light went off. My husband opened the hood and it was smoking. Luckily, it didn't burst into complete flames because our two little kids were in the car. Hopefully, the dealer will take it back. Too bad because I really loved the car.
New to Me

Sanford, FL

#5 May 31, 2008
Our 2005 Passat that we bought certified from a dealer 11 days ago burst into flames last night. The check engine light began to flash and the auto was behaving strangly. Fortunately my wife had just began to drive from the lot at her office an was able to pull over in the back of the lot. The car burst into full flames in the front end. The Fire Dept. was called and was able to put it out. The entire front end was burned. I dont know that modern cars should burst into full flames these days. Very concerning.
Jupiter-FL

Owensboro, KY

#6 Jul 29, 2008
My husband's 2006 Passat just caught fire. He was looking at a condo with a realtor and heard his alarm go off. He went to the window and saw smoke coming from his Passat. He ran out side as it burst into flames. He called the insurance company but by the time they arrived it was completely burnt up! It is still under factory warranty; has received every service on-time and only has 15,000 miles on it. Very disturbing! The fire department just completed their investigation a few moments ago and concluded that it is electrical in nature.
Jupiter-FL

Owensboro, KY

#7 Jul 29, 2008
Typo in the above. insurance company is supposed to be fire department. Sorry this just happened 1 hour ago and I am still upset.
Jorge Satt

Leesburg, FL

#8 Jul 27, 2009
Bill Mc wrote:
My 2000 VW Passat caught on fire Dec 28, 2007. I had it towed to a nearby dealer for service and was informed that the fire was caused by a faulty ignition coil. The final cost to repair (if it can be repaired) is still being investigated. I find it very perturbing to find out that VW knew of these (coil) defects yet did nothing to inform owners. I had two small children ages 2 and 4 in the vehicle at the time of the fire. Fortunately, my quick instincts put the fire out with limited engine damage and without casualties.
My 2002 Passat just caugh on fire, for no apparent reason. Did you got any resolution from VW? Who did you called and made a claim too? soto848@gmail.com
Sadea

Bellingham, WA

#10 May 29, 2010
We purchased a 2005 Volkswagen Passat brand new. My husband drives an hour or so to work. He was driving on his way home and he was on the freeway.
He was in the right lane and a vehicle pulled up into the other lane next to him. The person was wavin his hand and pointing. This guy finally went by my husband. My husband thought he was strange. Aminute or two later another vehicle did the same thing to my husband.My husband realized he needed to pull over because they were pointing at his car. He had to drive a few more miles until he got to an area of the freeway with a shoulder space.By this time smoke was billowing out of the front end of the Passat.He finally pulled over and flames were billowing out from under the hood.He had already called 911 eight minutes ago.Luckily a guy pulled over to help my hubby.He had a fire extinguisher and started spraying the passat as the fire had gotten much worse.They got the fire out.The fire truck arrived 20mins. later.We had the car towed to our local dealer where it was purchased.The Volkswagen Passat was a burned up mess.The fire was all caused from a faulty ignition coil.We learned this has happened to several passats.The Volkswagen dealer would not replace the car. They insisted on repairing everything.The car was in for repair for a long time.We have had to take it back twice for problems related to the fire.The car has had several mechanical issues.Needless to say, we were very disappointed.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#11 May 29, 2010
Buy quality vehicles from American companies.
Ghost

Bowling Green, KY

#13 Oct 26, 2010
I'll keep a fire extinguisher in the trunk from Now on.
Ghost

Bowling Green, KY

#14 Nov 2, 2010
Yes the vehicle do have electric issues but are you sure you are not confusing fire with hot water steam from cheap parts radiator or cooling system.
Ghost

Bowling Green, KY

#15 Nov 2, 2010
JJFADS wrote:
Buy quality vehicles from American companies.
Ford is a piece of sh***. I would never ever never ever buy a ford vehicle again in my life. No matter how cheap or new look they get. Pics of junk.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#16 Nov 2, 2010
Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Ford is a piece of sh***. I would never ever never ever buy a ford vehicle again in my life. No matter how cheap or new look they get. Pics of junk.
cool
Paula

Alexandria, VA

#17 Sep 25, 2013
I have a 2009 Volkswagen Turno Passat that caught on fire due and ingnitian coil shortage. Had anyone else had this problem? If so please email me, Paula.merlos@yahoo.com, thanks a lot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stop Hillary marketing victory: GOP generates $... Sat Cat74 123
News Www.CoryandTopanga.Com No Longer Exists, Consid... (Aug '07) Apr 15 katjerine 42
News Huge Trouble at Foreign Toyota (May '09) Apr 15 Nasty Canadian 315
News Nestle Waters adds propane trucks in LA market Apr 14 Activists shut em... 1
News DRDO launches 'Lukoskin' herbal care product fo... (Sep '11) Apr 14 narinderk 1,130
News Do You Really Need an SEO Expert for your Local... (Mar '14) Apr 14 Jason 7
News How Content Marketers Can Tell Better, More Str... Apr 13 calebhart54 1
More from around the web