Charlottesville City Council Looks at...

Charlottesville City Council Looks at Marketing, Rebranding - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News...

There are 14 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Nov 5, 2012, titled Charlottesville City Council Looks at Marketing, Rebranding - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Rebranding the city of Charlottesville was on the agenda at Monday's City Council meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

“bad luck or no luck”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 5, 2012
name one thing easy access around here.
TEX

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Nov 6, 2012
bulldoze the mall finish destroying the peoples park(McIntire)
not a libtard

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Nov 6, 2012
brand all city council as traitors!!
Liberalace

Collinsville, VA

#4 Nov 6, 2012
Always some excuse to send politicians on a vacation. Susan Payne runs the same PR firm who issued Chris Dumler's sorry public statement; she's a Dem. Sounds like more pockets being lined here at taxpayer's expense.
Now, as for the comparison to Austin, more misguided ignorance from the locals:
1) Austin is home to a college student population about 2.5 times that of Charlottesville. Additionally, about 35,000 students attend Austin-area community colleges (way more than our small community college).
2) Austin is the state capital of one of the largest states in the USA. There is a seat of business/resources/tourism inherent in any major state capital city.
3) Austin's music scene is, about, 20-30 years ahead of Chville's. It is professional, well developed and constantly evolving. I cannot fathom a day when writers flock to Chville (as they do to Nashville and Austin) to ply their trade because of the music scene. Sure, I can see it now: Cville City Limits concert series on PBS.
4) Keep instituting meals taxes and locating homeless shelters right on your Downtown Mall and see how well your city becomes a tourist mecca.
5) Why are these people going February 26-28 when, just two days later, there is a major Texas Independence Day Parade and other connected events in Austin? See how the city handles major events while you're there.

We have UVa, wineries and some historical stuff here. That's it. However, this area's ongoing love affair with itself will inspire articles like this, as well as free-spending councilors to hire locally-connected PR firms to spend taxpayers' money on pie-in-the-sky projects that never show metrics to prove success or failure.

Keep on spending, boys and girls.

R.I.P.: Lyndon Johnson
H8tosay

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Nov 6, 2012
Hey Virginia / ABC stores, take notice :
"On Tuesday, Washington may very well become the first state to legalize the possession, cultivation, and commercial sale of marijuana, both Republicans and Democrats say--bringing the state into apparent conflict with federal law if voters approve Initiative 502, which would allow residents over 21 to buy pot from stores licensed and regulated by the state liquor board."
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Nov 6, 2012
Liberalace wrote:
Keep instituting meals taxes
Austin 8.25%
http://taxfoundation.org/article/meals-taxes-...

but I agree, a SXSW here would be a disaster in terms of crowds
The skinny

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Nov 6, 2012
Let's be real...high cost of living, not that many high paying jobs, land-locked city, school budget that cannot be sustained, city clowncil's propensity to spend, increasing tax rates. On and on and on til the break of dawn!
Working Mom

United States

#8 Nov 6, 2012
This is a really dumb idea. But, anything to get city council a paid vacation. Why don't they just research Austin on the Internet, and call their city leaders? SKYPE? COME ON! Quit wasting tax dollars....
bad idea

United States

#9 Nov 6, 2012
going to austin does not make any sense at all.
Captain Obvious

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Nov 6, 2012
Need a slogan? How about "Charlottesville: The New East Germany!"
Crack skooter

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Nov 6, 2012
Pipe dreams!
Susan

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Nov 6, 2012
I guess I am paying for some one elses vacation Again
Same Ole

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Nov 6, 2012
Branding? How about "home of the homeless and misfits" or "watch your back downtown so you don't get robbed or stabbed". Or we could brand it, home of the clueless city council.
Judy

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Nov 6, 2012
Escape from D.C. down 29 south .... right! Is is easier to drive around D.C. than Charlottsville, trust me I am a frequent commuter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Science or Snake Oil: is A2 milk better for you... 12 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 16 hr guest 207
News Jordan Oa Hearn joins Mountain RF Sensors Inc. ... Fri GSohearn 1
News Lucasfilm, Nissan, Gillette, Duracell, General ... Aug 23 George 2
News Www.CoryandTopanga.Com No Longer Exists, Consid... (Aug '07) Aug 14 beastbomb 52
News Former Saulite 'dips toe' into Canadian market Aug 11 Bill 1
News Planning for the next five years Aug 10 yer City 1
More from around the web