Taking the Battle Against OxyContin t...

Taking the Battle Against OxyContin to America's Streets

There are 15 comments on the Salem-News.com story from Sep 16, 2012, titled Taking the Battle Against OxyContin to America's Streets. In it, Salem-News.com reports that:

When I began my work ten years ago at exposing Purdue Pharma, maker of OxyContin for their criminal marketing of OxyContin, I was adamant about certain things that I felt I needed to accomplish.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salem-News.com.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 17, 2012
56% of children over 12 using opiates? I don't know where that figure came from, but if it is accurate, it's more than terrifying.

The stories of people losing young people always hits me hard because I was nearly one of them, several times.

I remember the first time I was ever given a narcotic painkiller, at the age of 12. It was Tylenol 3 given to me by my family physician because I was hit by a baseball bat while playing catcher in a softball game. It crushed my tricep against the bone and the pain was the first real pain I remember REALLY feeling. I never forgot that pain or the pleasure of the codeine in the T3. By the time I hit 15, I was a full blown junkie, living in shooting galleries and on "friend's" couches. It wasn't til years after being clean that I connected that event to my later heroin use.

Now as an adult and CPP, my teenage years are always held in the forefront of my mind because it would be very easy to return to my former ways. It's been nearly 12 years since the last time I abused or recreationally took an opiate medication.
Z BoneSmoker

North Tonawanda, NY

#2 Sep 17, 2012
WhtKncKLed wrote:
56% of children over 12 using opiates? I don't know where that figure came from, but if it is accurate, it's more than terrifying.
The stories of people losing young people always hits me hard because I was nearly one of them, several times.
I remember the first time I was ever given a narcotic painkiller, at the age of 12. It was Tylenol 3 given to me by my family physician because I was hit by a baseball bat while playing catcher in a softball game. It crushed my tricep against the bone and the pain was the first real pain I remember REALLY feeling. I never forgot that pain or the pleasure of the codeine in the T3. By the time I hit 15, I was a full blown junkie, living in shooting galleries and on "friend's" couches. It wasn't til years after being clean that I connected that event to my later heroin use.
Now as an adult and CPP, my teenage years are always held in the forefront of my mind because it would be very easy to return to my former ways. It's been nearly 12 years since the last time I abused or recreationally took an opiate medication.
I hear you, brother.
I've been self-medicating since I was a young Polish tough on the mean streets of Kaisertown.

But I had an awakening when the Irish Hooligan beat me to a pulp and rubbed my face in dog poop.
The dried poo stayed in my mullet for several years until the Navy forced me to bathe.

Navy didn't last too long; bounce, bounce, bounce.

I'm still pilling it up on Uncle Sam's dime.

Location hidden

#3 Sep 17, 2012
First off, I am no one's brother... sister, possibly. LoL.

Secondly, your last statement is dispicable.

Good day.

-w.K.-

Location hidden

#5 Sep 17, 2012
Lifeeeeee Coachhhhhhhhhhh wrote:
<quoted text>
These doctors pass out opiates like candy. Those pills scare me, so I avoid them.
I had small benign growth cut from just under the skin on my stomach. The doctor gave me a vicodin prescription which I did not fill. The only "pain" I ever had from that was some slight itching as it healed
You're a lucky person, in that department then! I hope you can go the rest of your life remaining pain free! My fiance is also terrified of narcotics and won't take anything stronger than Advil/Motrin for anything and while sometimes I can't quite understand it, I admire the strength that can take in today's society. Unfortunately for myself, I was involved in a few more sports accidents as a kid, numerous car accidents, work injuries, and bad genetics and without certain medications a normal life is not a possibility.
It takes all kinds melding together...

-w.K.-

Location hidden

#7 Sep 17, 2012
tbird19482 wrote:
<quoted text>How much do you weigh, slutface?
Have a nice knight!
Grow up. Contribute to a friendly conversation, or be ignored. I don't really care either way.

-w.K.-
tbird19482

Kansas City, MO

#8 Sep 17, 2012
WhtKncKLed wrote:
Grow up. Contribute to a friendly conversation, or be ignored. I don't really care either way.
-w.K.-
I have reported your rude response to the webmaster, hooker breath!

Have a nice knight!

Location hidden

#11 Sep 17, 2012
Lifeeeeee Coachhhhhhhhhhh wrote:
<quoted text>
Hit the "report abuse" icon and report him to the webmaster
Already have. And as I supposedly rudely said to him/her, contribute to a friendly conversation or be ignored. I guess he/she has chosen to be ignored. I will not participate in that type of "conversation" or conflict. It's senseless.

Anyways, thank you.

-w.K.-
Z BoneSmoker

North Tonawanda, NY

#12 Sep 17, 2012
WhtKncKLed wrote:
<quoted text>
Already have. And as I supposedly rudely said to him/her, contribute to a friendly conversation or be ignored. I guess he/she has chosen to be ignored. I will not participate in that type of "conversation" or conflict. It's senseless.
Anyways, thank you.
-w.K.-
Bwaaahahaha

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#14 Sep 17, 2012
The funny thing is that I would have probably bought into this before becoming a cpp. It's easy to say why do people need drugs for pain, and why can't they tough it out. The reason people can't understand the need is that they have only ever experienced acute pain.

I always cosidered myself a tough person with a high pain threshold. I could take a punch or a hit or a fall and tough it out very well, but that is all acute pain. With acute pain there is an immediate intense feeling of pain, but then your body releases endorphins and that feeling subsides rather quickly. The feeling that remains is what people remember and usually associate with their definition of "pain". If that initial intense feeling would not subside, that would be chronic pain.

That is the main difference. Chronic pain does not subside and there is never any relief. The body's natural endorphins do not do their job and you are stuck at that level. There is no oppoptunity to "tough it out" because "toughing it out" is bearing it until the body makes it not so intense. Even the strongest man in the world could only hold a 10 pound weight over his head for a certain amount of time before not being able to take it anymore.

This is why it is impossible for people to "imagine" what chronic pain is like. All they can do is relate it to their own experiences and say "I made it through that without pills". This is also why people will balk at the idea of chronic pain being a disease rather than a symptom ... I would have felt the same way.

Unfortunately chronic pain IS a disease and only those who experience it can possibly understand. And since those in cp are the only ones who understand they are the only ones who can fight for their right to be treated. Sadly, there just aren't enough to fight the ones who have only had acute pain.

Location hidden

#15 Sep 17, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I know that opiates are abused by uses, doctors, and pharma companies. I also know that they unfortunately do cause death, addiction, and heartache. The problem is when you have people like the woman who wrote this article that want to convince people that is the oinly side to them.

That is just not true. While they shouldn't be the only treatment they ARE a necessary part of the treatment for millions of people who suffer with cp. If prescribed and taken responsibly the amount of good they can do for a cpp and their families is immeasurable.

Location hidden

#16 Sep 17, 2012
Speaking openly and candidly opens one up for plenty of shots and rude comments. Reality is that this is Topix and some people never grew up or just simply don't know how to have a discussion or conversation without resorting to unwarranted juvenille name-calling and foul mouthed comments for really no reason. I'm not the one that looks like an ass here.

-w.K.-

Location hidden

#17 Sep 17, 2012
Last thing ... As far as the writer's claim that our country being responsible for 90% of the world hydrocodone usage she fails to mention one thing. Many doctors in our country will only prescribe hydro because they fear repurcussion from the DEA. In other countries where Drs don't have that worry, they will prescribe one of the many more effective medicines instead.

A more accurate represantion would be to look at the prescription rates of all opiates ... Not just a specific one.

Location hidden

#18 Sep 17, 2012
kataj wrote:
The funny thing is that I would have probably bought into this before becoming a cpp. It's easy to say why do people need drugs for pain, and why can't they tough it out. The reason people can't understand the need is that they have only ever experienced acute pain.
I always cosidered myself a tough person with a high pain threshold. I could take a punch or a hit or a fall and tough it out very well, but that is all acute pain. With acute pain there is an immediate intense feeling of pain, but then your body releases endorphins and that feeling subsides rather quickly. The feeling that remains is what people remember and usually associate with their definition of "pain". If that initial intense feeling would not subside, that would be chronic pain.
That is the main difference. Chronic pain does not subside and there is never any relief. The body's natural endorphins do not do their job and you are stuck at that level. There is no oppoptunity to "tough it out" because "toughing it out" is bearing it until the body makes it not so intense. Even the strongest man in the world could only hold a 10 pound weight over his head for a certain amount of time before not being able to take it anymore.
This is why it is impossible for people to "imagine" what chronic pain is like. All they can do is relate it to their own experiences and say "I made it through that without pills". This is also why people will balk at the idea of chronic pain being a disease rather than a symptom ... I would have felt the same way.
Unfortunately chronic pain IS a disease and only those who experience it can possibly understand. And since those in cp are the only ones who understand they are the only ones who can fight for their right to be treated. Sadly, there just aren't enough to fight the ones who have only had acute pain.
That was very well put and explained. Thank you!

Location hidden

#19 Sep 17, 2012
kataj wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I know that opiates are abused by uses, doctors, and pharma companies. I also know that they unfortunately do cause death, addiction, and heartache. The problem is when you have people like the woman who wrote this article that want to convince people that is the oinly side to them.
That is just not true. While they shouldn't be the only treatment they ARE a necessary part of the treatment for millions of people who suffer with cp. If prescribed and taken responsibly the amount of good they can do for a cpp and their families is immeasurable.
I agree 100% with this. And people do often only look at one side of the coin. Many fail to see the countless number of people that can longer get the medications they need to have any sort of "normal" life because of the people that have abused the system to acquire the same medications. All around the system is screwed and people are hurting because of it. But what is the solution? Realistically.

-w.K.-

Location hidden

#20 Sep 17, 2012
Just for clarification purposes. I want to let everyone know that the real tbird19482 ( the 1 whose name comes up is registered ) and II have spokeen and he/she would not say any of the things that I've been posted on this thread. Please disregard this juvenile attempt to soil someone else's name. Thank you!

-w.K.-

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) Mon guest 155
News From bad hats to shower gel - the worst Euro 20... Jun 15 8541 MARINE 3
News Dial Restyles Pure & Natural As Purer and More ... (Apr '08) Jun 13 Patuchi 127
News Www.CoryandTopanga.Com No Longer Exists, Consid... (Aug '07) Jun 12 lucyyyy 49
News Haredi Community - , 5:42 AMNetworking, Learnin... Jun 7 BONDI for sale 1
News 3 Offbeat Ways to Grow Your Company Jun 6 Kasick of Pancakes 2
News Racism comes out in the wash Jun 6 SeanOsorioLee 1
More from around the web