Snap decisions at red lights

Snap decisions at red lights

There are 314 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 7, 2009, titled Snap decisions at red lights. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

In the lobby of RedSpeed Illinois' office in Lombard, awards and accolades share wall space with framed "first tickets" from Bolingbrook , Elmwood Park and Rosemont.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

“things that make you go "hmmmm”

Since: May 08

Homewood, IL

#22 Apr 8, 2009
Revenue enhancement at its' finest.
Mike

Montgomery, AL

#23 Apr 8, 2009
So obeying the traffic laws is optional and if you get caught breaking the law then you whine - amazing leaps of logic some of you have.
u gotta be kidding

Hoffman Estates, IL

#24 Apr 8, 2009
People working for this place should be ashamed of themselves. Unemployment is more honorable.

Since: Apr 09

Chicago, IL.

#25 Apr 8, 2009
Personally, I like that these people are getting caught. There are too many drivers who simply ignore speed limits, traffic signals, and right-of-way laws endangering pedestrians and other drivers. They drive their mobile living rooms like they own the street. Since we can't post cops at these intersections all the time, this is the next best thing. Nail them!
JMM

Palatine, IL

#27 Apr 8, 2009
I recvd a right turn on red ticket, stopped and then turned. In watching the video 4 people did not stop and hopefully were ticketed. Where is our right to turn right on a red light?
This is truly for the money. In my video a cool $500 was made in a period of 55 seconds. Let's correct the law and make it no turn on red then instead of raping people who are not causing a hazardous turn on red.
hello

United States

#28 Apr 8, 2009
Questions the Tribune should have asked:

Who are the owners of Red Speed?

How much did Red Speed pay in lobbying to get their contracts?

How much does Red Speed make per ticket?

How much does each muni. make per ticket?

C'mon, did a 9-year old write this article?
SSS

Chicago, IL

#29 Apr 8, 2009
Obey the law. Stop blaming everyone else because the law has had to take extra steps because of the universal attitude "I'll do what I want if I can get away with it". All the excuses I ever read are about problems that are caused by people ignoring traffic rules (crashes/tailgating, running through late yellows instead of stopping, demanding countdown timers, rolling through red lights, countdown timers instead of going a reasonable speed). Yellow lights are already long enough if you are going the speed limit and if you DONT try squeezing into the intersection on a yellow. Yellow is there just to allow enough time for those who were already in the intersection or just entering to get out... not to give 5 more cars time to gun it and get through. If you CAN safely stop, it's illegal for you to enter the intersection on a yellow so there's no need for a long delay. I'm sorry you're so inconvenienced that the law shouldn't apply to you, but you DO have an obligation to obey it.
Len

Evanston, IL

#31 Apr 8, 2009
As someone who walks everywhere in my community -- even to work -- I have to say I'm glad these lights exist. Maybe it will make drivers think and LOOK twice before blasting through a light or turning right on red, which is really not good if there is a pedestrian in the walkway who said driver hasn't yet seen. I've experienced that often.

As a pedestrian, I long ago lost the notion that I had any sort of right of way. There must be a lot of drivers who never walk anywhere and therefore don't get that part.
txb457

Miami, FL

#32 Apr 8, 2009
If we wanted to decrease red light running, we should change the lighting system to what they have in Europe. When they get a a yellow light, the red light is on. Then when the yellow goes off, it is full red. A simple change on how we view the yellow light would help the most.

This is course, is about money, not fixing the problem. What probably will happen over time is that people will learn which lights have the cameras and change their driving habits to avoid them. This will end up making more traffic on the side streets which will make traffice worse which will lead to more cameras.
not concerned

Chicago, IL

#33 Apr 8, 2009
You know people, after reading most of these comments I am not convinced that we should remove these cameras. You are responsible for driving under the speed limit and for not taking red lights. I remember a time before these cameras where dumb $$$ drivers would cause horrific "accidents" when they took the red lights and killed innocent people.(think the time a driver struck young girls crossing 55th and Western to go the park) If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Or in this case, if you can't pay the fine, don't take the light!
lamont

Brookfield, IL

#34 Apr 8, 2009
so a bunch of idiots that are not accountable to anyone get to say who will or will not get a ticket? counties all across the country are removing these cameras because the people are rising up against big brother looking for ways to fine the people. if people start voting their alderman and state congressmen out of office - i bet you will see a decline in these cameras
1984 now

Vallejo, CA

#35 Apr 8, 2009
Steadieddi wrote:
<quoted text>
What, you think the next group of elected officials are going to get rid of the red-light cameras? HAHA No way! But hey...how dare they anyway take away your right to run red lights. I mean really...you're being held as a slave to red lights, and slavery was abolished in 1868, and it's right there in the Constitution, so why are the public officials illegally denying you your rights? It's time for a protest, I tell you. It's time to stand up and say you're not going to take it anymore. It's time for you to go shoot up the office of the red light company. Don't come back here and tell us about it. We'll see your fool asz on television, being taken away in handcuffs.
You are an idiot steadieddi...probably a democrat too.
HankB

United States

#36 Apr 8, 2009
KBob wrote:
I think it is time to level the playing field. Have you ever taken an 18 wheeler cross country and been expected to operate at the posted speed .. but then they throw you a two second yellow light that a VW couldn't stop at .. and you are a fully loaded semi?
No. But I am not a professional driver. Perhaps you need to look into a little less demanding occupation if you find stopping at red lights impossible. And please do this before you kill someone.
Feedup

Palatine, IL

#37 Apr 8, 2009
I noticed a few of the cameras go up in Countryside. I sent an email to the village and to the managers of Countryside business I frequent. I will no longer shop there or in any other town/village that decides to make revenue from bogus tickets.
1984 now

Vallejo, CA

#38 Apr 8, 2009
Monty wrote:
Too many people want to ignore the law, and then everyone complains when the powers that be make it too dfficult.
If people weren't speeding, the cameras would not generate one dollar. This company puts it through two reviews, and then the cops review it. Then you can fight it if you want.
Or, you can stop speeding and then stop at red lights.
You must be one of those people who drive 45 in the left lane...move over moron.

Since: Jan 09

Schaumburg, IL

#39 Apr 8, 2009
hello wrote:
Questions the Tribune should have asked:
Who are the owners of Red Speed?
How much did Red Speed pay in lobbying to get their contracts?
How much does Red Speed make per ticket?
How much does each muni. make per ticket?
C'mon, did a 9-year old write this article?
I have a few of those for you:

Redspeed spent 35,000 on donations to over 60 local officials.

Redspeed takes 30.00 of every 100.00 ticket.

Red light cameras lead to an increase in accidents at an intersection where they are installed.

Some states have outlawed these cameras as some shorten the yellow as well to increase revenue. Others have mandated that all monies collected go to local schools.(these places have no cameras, safety, don't think so.)

TotalScam

Glen Ellyn, IL

#40 Apr 8, 2009
This company violates and falsifies court records?

Did Redflex and Redspeed tell you that accident rates often INCREASE at intersections where cameras are installed? It's true. Did Redflex tell you they have been found guilty of falsifying court documents and using unlicensed equipment? Did Redflex tell you how often their equipment malfunctions? http://PhotoRadarScam.com .

As soon as they also are allowed to track speeding they will add to their theft. The Wall Street Journal has articles on how this technology is abused by local government to help them pay for past financial mismanagement mistakes.

Go Tell Tom Cross to continue to not support this garbage. I did and he agreed this is totally unnecessary!!!
W-T-F

San Jose, CA

#41 Apr 8, 2009
I am surprised that the judicial system accepts this process. These people are not officers of the court.

Every ticket should be taken to trial and run these people out of business.
Soooo

Hanover Park, IL

#42 Apr 8, 2009
So, what is this article saying? I was waiting for this article to state something that was not already known. Waste of space. Once again, we see why the traditional newspaper is no longer relevant.
AEM

Clarendon Hills, IL

#43 Apr 8, 2009
I try to avoid intersections with these cameras, I never drive into the city and with costs of going into the city for anything, this is just another reason to not spend anytime or money in the Chicago

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 8 hr neighbor 1,834
News Bon Jovi was surprise guest at Jefferson Awards... Tue BJ Fan 1
News Barks & Blues Festival to provide fun at PAWS H... Tue Victor Hugo 117
News Conservative Serbia to get first openly gay pri... Jun 15 Baptist ism by Proxy 1
News Security procedures to be reviewed in wake of s... Jun 13 Reality Speaks 13
News 8 Diy Seo Tips to Optimize Your Mobile Marketing Jun 7 jojay 1
News Uber moves to repair tainted image with 20 firi... Jun 6 discocrisco 1
More from around the web