Snap decisions at red lights

In the lobby of RedSpeed Illinois' office in Lombard, awards and accolades share wall space with framed "first tickets" from Bolingbrook , Elmwood Park and Rosemont. Full Story
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
name witheld by request

United States

#1 Apr 7, 2009
These people and their companies are only marginally better than the towing companies... Once it is well known what the company does, their profit margin will drop as they need to add hi-security parking and access control to protect the employees.

WE can get rid of them either by passing (revoking actually) the law that put them into business, or altering their profitability radically by mandating standardized - visible signage that can be seen RIGHT NEXT TO the actual red light signal and a countdown warning to yellow - as well as an INCREASED yellow time. Voting out of office those officials that contract for red-light camera services "in our name" will also work well if the outrage can be focused into the vote..

This red-light camera issue was just one of my philosophical dislikes of the Bensenville hometown party, who JUST lost.

The red light companies are building quite a constituency of angry people - sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost, ESPECIALLY with their abuse of the right turn on red rules and equipment settings. Plenty of room for standards set by law for THAT TOO.

The changes, while altering their profitability by reducing entrapment, should INCREASE safety, while not affecting those blatant lawbreakers who CHOOSE to break the law - ignoring the ample warnings.
John J Coughlin

United States

#2 Apr 7, 2009
name witheld by request wrote:

WE can get rid of them either by passing...
We can rid ourselves of this nuisance only by ridding ourselves of the crooked politicians that put them there in the first place.
PhotoRadarScam

Queen Creek, AZ

#3 Apr 8, 2009
Nice puff piece.

It's been proven that if yellow light times are extended by a second, violations drop 70-80%. Why not just extend the yellow light times and make the intersections safer that way? Plenty of studies show that cameras make intersections MORE dangerous.
halfemptyglass

United States

#4 Apr 8, 2009
PhotoRadarScam wrote:
Nice puff piece.
It's been proven that if yellow light times are extended by a second, violations drop 70-80%. Why not just extend the yellow light times and make the intersections safer that way? Plenty of studies show that cameras make intersections MORE dangerous.
I like the idea of longer yellows. Somebody will come along and say it creates more congestion due to decreased traffic flow. I don't think people will obey the 'new yellow'. They will just take advantage of having more time before the red. That's how people who run red lights are. You can't change them. Making more laws doesn't change the behavior of a criminal. Jail doesn''t even scare them. Sarcasm is fun.
A cops point of view

AOL

#5 Apr 8, 2009
Those camera's look cold and they get wet when it rains....they should be covered :)
hhh

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 8, 2009
A cops point of view wrote:
Those camera's look cold and they get wet when it rains....they should be covered :)
yes, they should be covered, the lens and the flash bulb that is, so that these machines can stop robbing people of their hard earned money!!
name witheld by request

United States

#7 Apr 8, 2009
PhotoRadarScam wrote:
Nice puff piece.
<snip>
Amen - but it's MORE than that, it's BLATANT propaganda!!!! SOMEBODY'S got an agenda!! Does the Tribune own stock in the company? Or only the reporter?

BTW I haven't been nailed by one yet, BUT I have trained myself to look for the signs, and if there's one where I want to turn right, I make sure I go through on the green, unfortunately to the annoyance of those behind me. Thus traffic is IMPEDED!!

OH, and if they do the right turn on red thing, it should be at ALL 4 corners, not just the lucrative hi-traffic to low traffic turn, but also the more perilous lo-traffic to hi-traffic right turn on red. Make them spend MORE on cameras!!
KBob

Rogerson, ID

#8 Apr 8, 2009
I think it is time to level the playing field. Have you ever taken an 18 wheeler cross country and been expected to operate at the posted speed .. but then they throw you a two second yellow light that a VW couldn't stop at .. and you are a fully loaded semi?

Get real with the length of the yellow lights and give some consideration to the posted speeds where the light is operating.

One traffic light does not "fit all." You need a yellow light three times longer in a 45-55 mph posted speed situation than you do at 35 .. but .. you never see it!
Pelon

Harvey, IL

#9 Apr 8, 2009
Nothing to do with safety!

It's all about making or should I say "stealing money" from the people!

Even towns and cities count this money in their revenue projections now!

They expect to make a certain dollar amount! SO may the sand bagging begin!$$$$$$$
Mike

Montgomery, AL

#10 Apr 8, 2009
You can't beat technology. all you have to do is follow the rules of the road and STOP at STOP signs and red lights.
Jon

Griffith, IN

#12 Apr 8, 2009
If I compiled a list of desirable people I would put the employees of this company a notch or two below sex offenders. These companies are shameless cash grabs that have no intention or desire to actually improve safety.
LMAO

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 8, 2009
A cops point of view wrote:
You're right. Those poor cold cameras. Someone needs to give them a hug. With a can of spray paint.
Albert

Ellicott City, MD

#14 Apr 8, 2009
Redspeed knows or should have known that installing cameras at red lights can and does lead to rear end accidents. Anyone involved in a rear end accident at a red traffic light, whether or not there is a camera in place, should sue Redspeed for damages. Any fair and unbiased jury will agree that a driver slamming on the brake at a yellow traffic light in fear of the red light camera will have an increased probability of being rear ended, and the potential presence of the red light camera is at least a contributory cause of the accident.
tom

United States

#15 Apr 8, 2009
They did remove one of these cameras in the burbs, drivers figured out that it was there and stopped at the lite (after a years time), now with minumal fines being written the company can not maintain the camera so the village must PAY the company to do this. Now wasn't this easy!
Big Brother

Batavia, IL

#16 Apr 8, 2009
Welcome to the age of "guilty until proven innocent", people. Remember, by the time you get the ticket notification, you've lost all recollection as to the circumstances occuring at the time of the infraction. Also no initial opportunity to "plead your situation" to a discretionary or possibly compassionate real officer. Yep, your "guilty until proven innocent" unless you actually have the time to try to appeal something like this in court.
Monty

Chicago, IL

#17 Apr 8, 2009
Too many people want to ignore the law, and then everyone complains when the powers that be make it too dfficult.

If people weren't speeding, the cameras would not generate one dollar. This company puts it through two reviews, and then the cops review it. Then you can fight it if you want.

Or, you can stop speeding and then stop at red lights.
Monty

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 8, 2009
After all, the idea behind the law is that we follow it all the time, not just when a cop is watching. Or vote out those who put in speed limits and red light laws in the first place, and elect those who think they should be optional.

Whatever you do, quit whining.
SRM LRM

Carol Stream, IL

#19 Apr 8, 2009
Wait, the cameras *cause* other people to rear-end other drivers that actually slow/stop for yellow and red lights? So, maintaining an assured stopping distance is the responsibility of the driver ahead of me? Wow, and here I thought all this time that tail-gating someone else was my problem, when clearly they need to just speed up!

It's pretty simple, really. Slow down, obey the posted speed limits, slow for yellow lights, stop for reds. The End. If you don't obey the traffic laws then you deserve a ticket.

Personally, I would like to see this enforced for everyone, including the cops that turn on their flashers just to cruise through an intersection when they don't want to wait for a light to change.

“Electric Blue Sunshine”

Since: Oct 07

Riverside, CA

#20 Apr 8, 2009
PhotoRadarScam wrote:
Nice puff piece.
They aren't interested in safety- they are interested in MONEY. Its a PRIVATE company- it wants to make a profit at all costs...and that is the problem.
Monty

Chicago, IL

#21 Apr 8, 2009
SpEd Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
They aren't interested in safety- they are interested in MONEY. Its a PRIVATE company- it wants to make a profit at all costs...and that is the problem.
And if you don't speed, or run red lights, you won't be contributing one dime to their bottom line.

The only people who can put them out of business is us, by not giving them any.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Billboard in Virginia Brazenly Proclaims 'Nobod... 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 52
US Marine charged in Filipino transgender slaying 10 hr amc 5
FileMaker Offers Free Guide to Designing High-P... Tue kelsey compars 1
The marketing of home care shifts into high gear Mon Karen Lorenzo 1
America's shift in attitude toward gays started... Mon Norwood 43
DRDO launches 'Lukoskin' herbal care product fo... (Sep '11) Mon maria 1,113
Are vitamins from USANA worth price? (Mar '08) Dec 12 Tagumpay 217