Striking Subsidies Could Save Billions of Dollars

Mar 29, 2013 Full story: Fox News 17

Joe Dutra has defied the trend of American confectioners and candy makers who've moved abroad to escape the U.S. government's regime of sugar subsidies.

Full Story
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#1 Mar 30, 2013
Dairy price supports cost taxpayers $1.1 billion a year. They include a quaint, but expensive, provision dating back to the 1930's called "milk marketing orders," which originally restricted how far milk could be transported from farm to market to prevent spoilage. Today, refrigerated trucking invalidates that concern. "There are fewer milk marketing orders, but they still exist," Schatz said.

Another subsidy, on peanuts, costs taxpayers $55 million every year. Peanuts can be grown in a wide range of climates, but the government restricts their planting to a few, mostly southern, states.

This is an example of what congress could be working on to cut spending.

Representatives from any farming region that benefits from one subsidy often vote with members from another region that profits from a different subsidy. Alone, the regional interests carry little power. Together, they wield the kind of influence that has distorted market prices for more than 80 years.

This is the reason they don't.

Defenders of the subsidies make a strong case for their preservation. "Other governments are subsidizing their farmers at a much greater percentage than our government is, so we feel like, in order for our farmers to be able to compete worldwide, we need to have some government support," said Mary Kay Thatcher, of the American Farm Bureau Federation.

In order for our farmers to be able to compete worldwide should be because our farmers are the best, in quality, in taste, in variety, most productive in the world.

Instead, we have insecticide laced, antibiotic stuffed, food coloring added, processed corporate farming factories.

Looking for a HANDOUT from the evil "gubmint" regulators because their "experiment" with the above failed miserably.
August

United States

#2 Mar 30, 2013
Wall Street, your post is exactly why nothing will change. If you or someone else got to Washington, actually got an audience with the lawmakers and spoke to them the common sense that you just posted, 90 percent of their heads would blow right off their shoulders.
Wait a minute, that just might be the 'change' that our government truly needs!
see the light

El Paso, TX

#3 Mar 30, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
Dairy price supports cost taxpayers $1.1 billion a year. They include a quaint, but expensive, provision dating back to the 1930's called "milk marketing orders," which originally restricted how far milk could be transported from farm to market to prevent spoilage. Today, refrigerated trucking invalidates that concern. "There are fewer milk marketing orders, but they still exist," Schatz said.
Another subsidy, on peanuts, costs taxpayers $55 million every year. Peanuts can be grown in a wide range of climates, but the government restricts their planting to a few, mostly southern, states.
This is an example of what congress could be working on to cut spending.
Representatives from any farming region that benefits from one subsidy often vote with members from another region that profits from a different subsidy. Alone, the regional interests carry little power. Together, they wield the kind of influence that has distorted market prices for more than 80 years.
This is the reason they don't.
Defenders of the subsidies make a strong case for their preservation. "Other governments are subsidizing their farmers at a much greater percentage than our government is, so we feel like, in order for our farmers to be able to compete worldwide, we need to have some government support," said Mary Kay Thatcher, of the American Farm Bureau Federation.
In order for our farmers to be able to compete worldwide should be because our farmers are the best, in quality, in taste, in variety, most productive in the world.
Instead, we have insecticide laced, antibiotic stuffed, food coloring added, processed corporate farming factories.
Looking for a HANDOUT from the evil "gubmint" regulators because their "experiment" with the above failed miserably.
Can't believe I'm saying this to you but I agree with all of this. I know our food is full of chemicals and its making us sick. I quit drinking cows milk, now I use almond milk. Tastes exactly the same and so much better for you.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#4 Mar 30, 2013
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>Can't believe I'm saying this to you but I agree with all of this. I know our food is full of chemicals and its making us sick. I quit drinking cows milk, now I use almond milk. Tastes exactly the same and so much better for you.
Interesting.

What does Monsanto spray on almond trees?

The pollination of California's almonds is the largest annual managed pollination event in the world, with close to one million hives (nearly half of all beehives in the USA) being trucked in February to the almond groves. Much of the pollination is managed by pollination brokers, who contract with migratory beekeepers from at least 49 states for the event. This business has been heavily impacted by colony collapse disorder, causing nationwide shortages of honey bees and increasing the price of insect pollination. To alleviate almond growers from the rising cost of insect pollination, researchers at the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) have developed a new line of self-pollinating almond trees.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#5 Mar 30, 2013
The Obama administration mantra is:
government = prosperity.
Simple and effective, at least for those on the receiving side.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#6 Mar 30, 2013
RustyS wrote:
The Obama administration mantra is:
government = prosperity.
Simple and effective, at least for those on the receiving side.
How true.

Although teabaggers think Obama invented government subsidies.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#7 Mar 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Interesting.
What does Monsanto spray on almond trees?
The pollination of California's almonds is the largest annual managed pollination event in the world, with close to one million hives (nearly half of all beehives in the USA) being trucked in February to the almond groves. Much of the pollination is managed by pollination brokers, who contract with migratory beekeepers from at least 49 states for the event. This business has been heavily impacted by colony collapse disorder, causing nationwide shortages of honey bees and increasing the price of insect pollination. To alleviate almond growers from the rising cost of insect pollination, researchers at the Agricultural Research Service (ARS) have developed a new line of self-pollinating almond trees.
Pesticides can be washed off.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#8 Mar 31, 2013
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>Pesticides can be washed off.
Of course it can, plants absorb water and fertilizer but they automatically reject absorbing pesticides.

Very similar to a woman's body rejecting the pregnancy of a "legitimate" rape.

Poor teabagger.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#9 Mar 31, 2013
We should stop subsidizing all the religious cults by letting them not pay taxes...

why do people need their religious faith subsidized? is it that weak?
August

Belleview, FL

#10 Mar 31, 2013
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>Pesticides can be washed off.
Some can't.

http://www.businessinsider.com/monsantos-roun...
see the light

El Paso, TX

#11 Mar 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course it can, plants absorb water and fertilizer but they automatically reject absorbing pesticides.
Very similar to a woman's body rejecting the pregnancy of a "legitimate" rape.
Poor teabagger.
Legitimate rape? Whats wrong with you?

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#12 Mar 31, 2013
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>Legitimate rape? Whats wrong with you?
Ask Akins the Repub troglodyte.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#13 Mar 31, 2013
see the light wrote:
What's wrong with teabaggers?

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Missouri Senate hopeful Todd Akin said in an interview Sunday, explaining why his ideal abortion ban wouldn’t include an exception for rape.“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” he added.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#14 Apr 1, 2013
<quoted text>
What's wrong with teabaggers?
“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Missouri Senate hopeful Todd Akin said in an interview Sunday, explaining why his ideal abortion ban wouldn’t include an exception for rape.“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” he added.
And your'e point......
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#15 Apr 1, 2013
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>And your'e point......
see the light wrote:

It wasn't me who stated rape was "legitimate".
see the light

El Paso, TX

#16 Apr 1, 2013
<quoted text>
see the light wrote:
It wasn't me who stated rape was "legitimate".
Sounds like something out of your'e mouth.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#17 Apr 2, 2013
No , it's a teabagger.

Rep. Todd Akin, the newly-christened GOP Senate nominee in Missouri, said in an interview airing Sunday that “legitimate rape” rarely causes pregnancy.

First of all, from what I understand from doctors,(pregnancy from rape) is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in a clip posted on You Tube.“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Poor grammer deficient teabagger.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marketing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Racist' Baby K'Tan Sling Package Sparks Outrag... 17 hr Go Blue Forever 41
Sustainable ambition on Lake Ontario: Waterfron... Wed winds of change 1
Andreessen exits eBay's board after sparring wi... Tue Philip Cohen 1
Once the FBI has a backdoor into your smartphon... Oct 21 ThinkAboutItMan 3
Def Jam's Top 5 Most Underrated Videos Oct 21 brandy t 1
Municipal election 2014: Ward 2 candidates answer Oct 21 obvious a new voice 1
Shoppers Are Suing Bottled Water Manufacturers ... (Apr '13) Oct 18 Thruth will come out 5

Marketing People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE