TRW Layoffs

TRW Layoffs

There are 641 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Aug 21, 2008, titled TRW Layoffs. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

A major employer in Clark County, Ill. announces a layoff. TRW Automotive in Marshall let about a dozen employees go on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

survivor

West Union, IL

#583 Oct 29, 2009
Horse wrote:
no raise last year, probably no raise this year, insurance going up 11%, no christmas dinner, no ham, casual time cut, no gain sharing anymore, no compnay match on retirement, the list goes on and on. uppers keep getting their awards and money but not the rest.....were the happiest bunch of people. the way i see it is they know nobody is happy but nobody is doing anything about it. it's all going to backfire one of these days when the quality goes down the toilet and the next major recall is because of something from trw....then nobody will be getting anything
We had our chance to do something about it but not enough people had the balls to stand up and do it. Now they are crying "oh we should have done it when we had the chance." It is sad that you have to pay to have your RIGHTS protected!! But that is what it is coming to...I wonder when enough is enough if they will stand up then?? We all have bills to pay and families to feed and they have taken everything away from us that they possibly can...so ask yourself "whats next?" The only thing left is cut our pay...hhuummmmm will that be the straw? Will we fight back then for our rights? Or maybe we should all just bring our own jar of vaseline??? Cause they sure arent going to hand it out....TD wont sign that rec!!!!
Curious

Marshall, IL

#584 Nov 2, 2009
survivor wrote:
<quoted text>We had our chance to do something about it but not enough people had the balls to stand up and do it. Now they are crying "oh we should have done it when we had the chance." It is sad that you have to pay to have your RIGHTS protected!! But that is what it is coming to...I wonder when enough is enough if they will stand up then?? We all have bills to pay and families to feed and they have taken everything away from us that they possibly can...so ask yourself "whats next?" The only thing left is cut our pay...hhuummmmm will that be the straw? Will we fight back then for our rights? Or maybe we should all just bring our own jar of vaseline??? Cause they sure arent going to hand it out....TD wont sign that rec!!!!
I think know you survivor. Are your initials DW?
Dude

League City, TX

#585 Nov 2, 2009
survivor wrote:
<quoted text>We had our chance to do something about it but not enough people had the balls to stand up and do it. Now they are crying "oh we should have done it when we had the chance." It is sad that you have to pay to have your RIGHTS protected!! But that is what it is coming to...I wonder when enough is enough if they will stand up then?? We all have bills to pay and families to feed and they have taken everything away from us that they possibly can...so ask yourself "whats next?" The only thing left is cut our pay...hhuummmmm will that be the straw? Will we fight back then for our rights? Or maybe we should all just bring our own jar of vaseline??? Cause they sure arent going to hand it out....TD wont sign that rec!!!!
You speak of having rights. What rights do you really have? You have the right to work...and TRW has the right to pay you. Nothing more.... why do you expect that you have the "right" to more? If you want to have the proceeds that TRW gains, you should start your own business. The work you are doing at TRW isn't hard...and you are getting paid fairly well for what you do. Sure they have pulled some things away from you in the past few years but so has most businesses. If you are unhappy, go find a job elsewhere. You will find that you actually have a pretty good job where you have. Just my 2 cents...
Hoosier Hicker

Britton, MI

#586 Nov 5, 2009
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You speak of having rights. What rights do you really have? You have the right to work...and TRW has the right to pay you. Nothing more.... why do you expect that you have the "right" to more? If you want to have the proceeds that TRW gains, you should start your own business. The work you are doing at TRW isn't hard...and you are getting paid fairly well for what you do. Sure they have pulled some things away from you in the past few years but so has most businesses. If you are unhappy, go find a job elsewhere. You will find that you actually have a pretty good job where you have. Just my 2 cents...
Dude, Spoken like a peasant.
survivor

West Union, IL

#587 Nov 11, 2009
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I think know you survivor. Are your initials DW?
You probably do know me if you work dayshift. But no, those are not my initials.
survivor

West Union, IL

#588 Nov 11, 2009
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Your absoleutly right about rights. Just makes me steam when they say we dont get a raise and then the CEO gets 5.8 MILLION dollars and they couldnt even afford to give us a Christmas ham....its not all the economy. And paid fairly well....I havent had a raise in 4 years...will be 5 after they screw us this year. And they havent taken a few things away...they have taken everything away with one exception and that is they still offer insurance for the time being. We arent talking about a fly by night company either, keep that in mind!!!! They seem to find enough $$ for pretty blue letters in the hall and pull down charts to put information on that can already be found on the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars worth of HUGE screen computers scattered throughout the plant. They dont seem to have any concern with dumping more of a work load on us either...oh ya...and no compenstation for that either. Ya, Im happy to have a job but it used to be someplace to be proud to work too. Now its a job...just a job and nothing more.:( And as far as the work being easy...ya, its not to much on the mind, but its physically draining on your feet and back 10-12 hours a day on concrete floors and usually not much opportunity to sit down except at breaks. I know...waawaa...but arent things suppose to get better and not worse....or at least stay the same? The economy is not all to blame for what has happened at TRW....but its sure a handy excuse!!
yow

Terre Haute, IN

#589 Nov 15, 2009
quality is already in the toilet. won't be a recall because it gets swept under the table every time.
T Ferguson

North Liberty, IA

#590 Nov 17, 2009
All-Hands meeting Thursday, standing room only...really...it's being held in the north end of building 2!
sad

Milford, MA

#591 Nov 17, 2009
for the temp posting You should watch what you say you weren't there when things were good at TRW.. I was a temp for 6 mo and worked there full time for 3 years and I thought it was great until they started taking everything away. And very thankful that my dad didn't apply to work there like I had told him to. IF you get hired on you will go to the meetings and see how it really is ... when they own you.. Don't be so quick to judge full timers. They went through a lot getting where they are or should I say LOSING a lot. Especially jobs and good insurance!
Adecco

West Grove, PA

#592 Nov 19, 2009
I've been pumped by the Adecco temp group. Should I think about working as a temp at TRW? Who is the head of HR there?
sad

Milford, MA

#593 Nov 20, 2009
I liked working as a temp for 6 months and full time for 3 and 1/2 years but that was 5 years ago... I don't know how it is now. Good luck at least it is a job for a while and possibly lead to full time just do your job ... Temps don't have to worry about insurance or some of the other BS. The work is not hard it is a lot of standing!! The people you will work with are very nice and helpful. As long as you do your job and give them respect. If you do this sometimes they have some pull as to you getting full time employment.

“otr trucker”

Since: Feb 09

ionia mi

#594 Dec 6, 2009
if this trw plant is union like the other 5trw plants i've visited recently, no wonder why many plants are bankrupt (needless waste of spending) but i'll take it. And again some very lazy union workers on the docks case in point made me waste 40bucks in fuel and 2hrs of personal time because mr high almighty hilo guy didn't want to move 2 pallets 30ft off my truck day before thanksgiving thanks so i had to comeback. Then morning dude was also rude, is that the company motto.
7Down

Terre Haute, IN

#595 Dec 16, 2009
I can't believe no one posted about the return of the Holiday Ham. Yeah, it was Petite, but it was a ham. I'm sick of the Head of Quality who wouldn't know his butt from a hole in the ground... acting like he knows what he's talking about and trying to get everyone else to do his department's job for them since so many of them have left cause they can't stand working under him?

Everybody's running around trying to make TD's Rose Room work. He'll never admit that it isn't working until Oreck moves in. You know what scent they use to cover up the smell of crap? Why that would be Rose. Merry Christmas everybody. Enjoy your time off, your Holiday Ham, your 2 liter of Pepsi, your $2.50 sammich, and your can of corn.
Hoosier Hicker

Curwensville, PA

#596 Dec 17, 2009
Oh yes, The Hams. I got my god da**ed Ham back. It was a nice gesture, and highly appreciated.
As far as the Rose room, well Im sure scrap is through the roof, but Im sure that too can be hidden from the need to knows.
Parke County Stud

United States

#597 Dec 17, 2009
You need to quit if you are not appreciative of your employer's gesture for its employees. You get a Christmas break and ham and you are bitching??? No wonder that place is messed up with morons like you. The auto industry fully hasn't recovered and you are complaining about a gift from your employer? How pathetic. You need to write a note to your management and thank them for a job well done if they are still able to give such gifts.
Enough

United States

#599 Dec 17, 2009
Ham or not, I'm just thankful to have a job.
Lori

Portage, PA

#600 Dec 17, 2009
7Down wrote:
I can't believe no one posted about the return of the Holiday Ham. Yeah, it was Petite, but it was a ham. I'm sick of the Head of Quality who wouldn't know his butt from a hole in the ground... acting like he knows what he's talking about and trying to get everyone else to do his department's job for them since so many of them have left cause they can't stand working under him?
Everybody's running around trying to make TD's Rose Room work. He'll never admit that it isn't working until Oreck moves in. You know what scent they use to cover up the smell of crap? Why that would be Rose. Merry Christmas everybody. Enjoy your time off, your Holiday Ham, your 2 liter of Pepsi, your $2.50 sammich, and your can of corn.
Why are you bitchin, at least you still have a job! if you dont want it then quit. there people out there that wants a job and can't find one!
Jill booted thuggette

Terre Haute, IN

#601 Dec 17, 2009
Jessica wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm where have you been? We have had more businesses sell out to other countries since Bush came into office...at least jobs were added w/ the Clinton administration. You tend to buy more forein parts when less are made in America.
Jessica. heres what happened. During the Clinton administration one single thing stimulated the economy more than anything. CREDIT. During the Clinton administration people had TONS of money. One other term not heard before Clinton. Home Equity Line of Credit. 62% of homeowners cashed equity out of their homes to pay off debts and purchase goods and services. no single one thing in the history of the US has ever injected more money into the economy than Home Eq. Loans. The problem? People burned up all of their equity. Ran the credit cards back up and now have NO recourse. Hence, Home foreclosures, no money to spend and it all wraps up and boi;s down to a near depression. Worse yet, Washington forced this hand, not the fat cat bankers by enacting legislation forcing credit card companies to increase minimum payments so consumers would be forced to reduce debt and actually pay them off in their lifetime. Problem #3, people didnt have more money, forcing the influx of bankruptcies. Now, Washington has made the bankruptcies that they caused more difficult to obtain. And turned their finger toward the banking industry and the bad, bad bankers making the big bucks. They control the media and supply the newsfeed to them, its very simple, its a propaganda war designed to take the attention off of them.
Les

Portage, PA

#602 Dec 18, 2009
Jill booted thuggette wrote:
<quoted text>Jessica. heres what happened. During the Clinton administration one single thing stimulated the economy more than anything. CREDIT. During the Clinton administration people had TONS of money. One other term not heard before Clinton. Home Equity Line of Credit. 62% of homeowners cashed equity out of their homes to pay off debts and purchase goods and services. no single one thing in the history of the US has ever injected more money into the economy than Home Eq. Loans. The problem? People burned up all of their equity. Ran the credit cards back up and now have NO recourse. Hence, Home foreclosures, no money to spend and it all wraps up and boi;s down to a near depression. Worse yet, Washington forced this hand, not the fat cat bankers by enacting legislation forcing credit card companies to increase minimum payments so consumers would be forced to reduce debt and actually pay them off in their lifetime. Problem #3, people didnt have more money, forcing the influx of bankruptcies. Now, Washington has made the bankruptcies that they caused more difficult to obtain. And turned their finger toward the banking industry and the bad, bad bankers making the big bucks. They control the media and supply the newsfeed to them, its very simple, its a propaganda war designed to take the attention off of them.
your right!!!! and Bush didnt help things, it went all down hill when he was in there!!! and Bush could of care less with his millions!!!!!
Hmm

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#603 Dec 18, 2009
Not that this really has much to do with the daily ins and outs of TRW, but credit is evil. If people lived within their means (pay cash for things) we'd be much better off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manufacturing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Equipment-maker Caterpillar to locate offices i... (May '16) Feb 15 follow the money 5
News Eaton, US Department of Energy to Enhance Colla... Jan '18 Solarman 1
News IAC's future in limbo (Jun '07) Dec '17 dylan f 69
News Professors worldwide boycott University of Roch... Nov '17 Mrs L 4
New Andon software Nov '17 nateandon 1
News Goodyear Tire recalls Eagle RS-A 18" TIRES (Feb '09) Oct '17 Daniel 14
Can manufactures use W.O.T.C. ? Oct '17 Larry Potter 1
More from around the web