TRW Layoffs

TRW Layoffs

There are 642 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Aug 21, 2008, titled TRW Layoffs. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

A major employer in Clark County, Ill. announces a layoff. TRW Automotive in Marshall let about a dozen employees go on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

FirePlace

Crystal Lake, IL

#235 Dec 21, 2008
bc rich wrote:
Don't hold your breath on anything. Once again- a lot of the folks who moved up to this plant from Cookeville bought houses that are in neighborhoods where although the houses are expensive, they sell very quick. I know a guy who, even in last February's slump, was able to sell his half a million dollar house in Idle Creek after his wife had to find a new job after the Pfizer close. That is how a professional careerist thinks- they take advantage of the relocation packages. Did someone delete my original post about this? Could have sworn I posted this before....
Including the plant manager, a total of three came from cookville.
Betsy

United States

#236 Dec 21, 2008
Hoosier Hicker wrote:
<quoted text>
But presently at Indiana State there is a 2 semester waiting period unless you have already been accepted in that major. This is a problem that a few TRW people are running into.
I SEE I GUESS I DIDNT THINK ABOUT THAT. IT MEANS WHO IS GONNA PAY THE BILLS WHILE THEY WAIT.
Dreamer

United States

#237 Dec 22, 2008
Not a "Happy New Year" for fellow TRW workers in Georgia, see what I mean:

http://mirror.augusta.com/stories/2008/12/18/... .

Will this be the new trend?
Waiting and Hoping

Edison, NJ

#238 Dec 22, 2008
Well, I heard through the grape vine this evening that TBM has been let go.
Not sure if they just meant until everyone comes back, or if they completely got rid of the service?
May be an interesting New Year !!

Since: Dec 08

Milton, FL

#239 Dec 23, 2008
Hoosier Hicker wrote:
Hey Topper2 Maybe we should have taken that layoff? LOL. I suspect they will be calling our homes every couple weeks till spring telling us not to come in. Just got in a new lot of a 1000 hardbacks to supplement my loss wages. Was wondering if you ever sell Art Prints? and if so were they lithography taken off copper plates? Anyway, gonna hunker down for this storm. A new bottle of Smirnoff is going to help. Chow
I have sold prints before, but they were new ones. I'm sure the older prints from copper plates are worth more, but don't know much about them.

Milton, FL

#240 Dec 23, 2008
I've heard that between 30-40 people took the 'Permanent Layoff'.
I guess they will have a place to move the extra people from weekend shift.

Milton, FL

#241 Dec 23, 2008
From WTHI.com in Terre Haute, Indiana

TRW layoffs

Last Edited: Saturday, 20 Dec 2008, 11:30 PM EST
Created On: Saturday, 20 Dec 2008, 10:47 PM EST

* News Staff

MARSHALL, Ill.(WTHI)- More people here in the Valley are going to be without jobs.

TRW in Marshall, Illinois announced it will begin laying off workers just after Christmas.
A spokesperson for the auto-parts manufacturing company said TRW asked for voluntary layoffs because of the economy.
About 35 people volunteered. The layoffs take effect December 28th.
TRW makes safety electronic parts for the automotive industry including Ford, Chrysler and General Motors.
Jess

Bettendorf, IA

#242 Dec 23, 2008
Wanna hear something kinda eerie? I have this book "The 2010 meltdown...solving the impending job crisis" by Edward E Gordon copyright 2005... TRW is mentioned very briefly in the book. It says (remember this is in 2005) Defense contractor titan Northrop made a $5.9 billion bid on TRW and that the Pentagon would likely oppose it. There may be more on TRW but I have yet to actually read the book.

I guess what Im trying to say is its just a little eriee that TRW was mentioned in this book almost 4 yrs ago and look at it now... it seems like the TRW meltdown is going to happen before 2010.
hometown

Terre Haute, IN

#243 Dec 31, 2008
who all got laid off? Did everyone on flex 13 get called to not come back to work until the 19th? I've talked to someone who has been there almost forever,who had gotten fired, and he said that we will get 3 years of unemployment because of trading overseas.
Who Knows

Oblong, IL

#244 Jan 1, 2009
Topper2 wrote:
From WTHI.com in Terre Haute, Indiana
TRW layoffs
Last Edited: Saturday, 20 Dec 2008, 11:30 PM EST
Created On: Saturday, 20 Dec 2008, 10:47 PM EST
* News Staff
MARSHALL, Ill.(WTHI)- More people here in the Valley are going to be without jobs.
TRW in Marshall, Illinois announced it will begin laying off workers just after Christmas.
A spokesperson for the auto-parts manufacturing company said TRW asked for voluntary layoffs because of the economy.
About 35 people volunteered. The layoffs take effect December 28th.
TRW makes safety electronic parts for the automotive industry including Ford, Chrysler and General Motors.
Personally the number 35 seems to eeriely match the exact number of people who volunteered back in the fall. I kind of wonder if there isn't a bit of confusion going on here.
fact finder

Troy, MI

#245 Jan 1, 2009
I work for a Detroit research outfit and i was wondering how many employees are still working in the Marshall plant.While i only gather the information, it will be used to create a model to ascertain the economic impact of layoffs and plant employment levels of company's supplying the north American auto makers. Trw has been a challenge so any information on employment levels at any of the North American facilities would be greatly appreciated
Hoosier Hicker

United States

#246 Jan 3, 2009
Yes Topper2 your right. Sentiment from management seemed to me to be a higher number. Anyway, I ran across a news article that stated a TRW plant in Canada will be working alternating shifts indefinately. "days one week nights the next"
I strongly feel we will be doin the same. They also were cut hours on the weeks they work. And hold on to your hats Visteon another Tier One supplier has just given their employees a pay cut.
survivor

West Union, IL

#247 Jan 4, 2009
Yikes!!! Sure hope the pay cuts don't hit Marshall!! Can't make it on my pay as it is and more likely than not, no gain sharing and insurance costs going up.....and any "merit" raises are pretty much out the window.

Since: Jan 09

United States

#248 Jan 9, 2009
Made through a full work week without hearing any rumors other than the one I've been hearing for a couple of months about the shifts changing to 5 eight hour days........which I hope is not true! Anyone else hear anything??
survivor

West Union, IL

#249 Jan 10, 2009
Didn't hear anything this week either. Possibly the "calm before the storm". Seemed like schedules came up on some lines and down on others. Going to be a guessing game cause you know THEY aren't going to tell us anything till the very last possible second. Got a feeling that they are going to try to run with a skeleton crew on some lines.

Since: Jan 09

United States

#250 Jan 10, 2009
I agree
taxpayer

United States

#251 Jan 10, 2009
Jessica wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm where have you been? We have had more businesses sell out to other countries since Bush came into office...at least jobs were added w/ the Clinton administration. You tend to buy more forein parts when less are made in America.
You had better check your history. Bill clinton started this mess when he signed nafta treaty and the massive job loses started right there!
Hoosier Hicker

United States

#252 Jan 10, 2009
I heard they are considering shutting down 4th shift. Lord I hope they dont deploy that 5 day work week. 4 days is enough in that place.
survivor

West Union, IL

#253 Jan 11, 2009
One of the reasons I have stayed there is the 4 day work week. I too, hope they don't go to the 5 day work week. My opinion is that they will either cut hours and stay 4 days or alternate shifts schedules to work. Other plants have done similar things. I have heard everything in rumors from shutting down to cutting hours and pay. I think 30 hours is still considered full time...that would cut out 1 full day of work AND screw it up for unemployment...hhhmmmm
Imaginethat

Indianapolis, IN

#254 Jan 11, 2009
TRW is not the only company lying...I know of one who has laid off 10 of their not even 50, as they've been claiming, more like 35...ThyssenKrupp Presta, but yet they are building a stupid "expansion" for business that isn't even set in stone yet...telling employees they're not bringing back those laid off...and not sure if more will be laid off...meanwhile office staff, those all white shirters, making five times the real workers are and getting bonuses and holiday parties, all cushy in their warm offices, while the REAL workers are on the cold floor building parts that have been sitting there, some for months, getting screwed by "shutdowns" over holidays so the state can delay unemployment payments because they can't subtract a few hours of holiday pay from the amount of an unemployment check!! Can anyone pass the KY, just once?? PLEASE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manufacturing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Here's How Wall Street Is Getting Ready for Pre... Sun Three Psyche 1
News Chinese citizen working for Rockwell charged wi... May 25 Moe 1
News Stocks close the day lower May 24 BIG PHARMA 1
News General Motors Company (GM) Bringing Car Sharin... May 22 true 2
News Equipment-maker Caterpillar to locate offices i... May 19 adolf trump - cou... 2
News Trump Brings Fiery Message To Thousands in Hart... May 6 Just Sayin 22
News Oshkosh Corp (OSK) Upgraded to "Strong-Buy" at ... May 4 madoff zionism 1
More from around the web