Identifying Fake White Gold -Expert advice please

Posted in the Jewelry Forum

JPF

Lake George, NY

#1 Dec 1, 2010
Is there any ways of identifying Cobalt Alloys stamped as white gold short of X-Ray Fluorescence Testing? They test the same under nitric acid and are not magnetic. I have heard that cobalt being a stronger metal will not leave any flakes (when scratched on a touchstone) floating in the acid solution like white gold will but I'm not sure this is an accurate test. Any further advice on other white alloys/metals to look out for would be great.

Since: Jul 12

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jul 31, 2012
fake jewelry to buy ,you can contact me ,I will tell you the website.

Since: Aug 12

Australia

#5 Aug 31, 2012
White Gold Is an alloy of pure gold and other precious white metals (Palladium,Rhodium, Etc) generally the mix is 75% Gold to 25% other metals for 18k White gold (stamped 750) or 37.5% gold to 62.5% other metals for 9k gold (stamped 375)

even though the gold is alloyed with other white metals is is not completely white is color so it is then subjected to a process known as "Rhodium Plating" to give it a lustrous white colour.

if your peice is proper white gold after is wears down a little it will start to have a yellow tinge or "egg shell colour"

so if you are inclined scratch it a little on the inside.. to see the colour.

white gold is one of the softest metals so that in its self (the ability to mark it) shoild give some insight to what the metal is ( as most imitations will either not mark too easy or their colour will literally Flake off, which white gold would never do...

for a total fail safe go to a local second hand dealer and they will do an acid test on it (sometimes they will even do it for free)

Good Luck

http://sensationcharms.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jewelry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old vintage copper PARIS TS necklace 14 hr cenkocenko 1
How Could U Tell If Jewelery Is Real Gold? (Apr '06) 15 hr Carla guzman 1,164
convict show host at jewelery tv (Nov '07) Sat peachessl 34
Costume fashion jewellery (Jun '14) Feb 26 iammariaberg 4
Can anyone help identify a jeweler's hallmark? Feb 25 glamorus1 1
Wondering what the 938 number inside my right m... Feb 25 IbelithLP 1
Wholesale Fashion Jewelry (Sep '12) Feb 25 adr1979 24
help me identify makers mark? (Aug '08) Feb 21 Joshua 390
More from around the web