Massive Toyota Lay Off

Jan 31, 2012 | Posted by: JJFADS | Full story: online.wsj.com

Oriental Toyota is suffering badly. The company still feels ramifications that began during the recall crisis.

Comments
1 - 20 of 197 Comments Last updated Aug 14, 2012
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Happy and Laughing

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

Judged:

This is sad because nobody should lose their job no matter where they work.

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2012

Judged:

Its funny as the japanese automakers say you have a job for life. I always thought that was a load of horse manure.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2012

Judged:

Wow how things change.
Happy and Laughing

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2012

Tom Loy wrote:
Its funny as the japanese automakers say you have a job for life. I always thought that was a load of horse manure.
They really said that? Why would they do something like that?

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Happy and Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>They really said that? Why would they do something like that?
Who knows why they said it.
Proud Canadian

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

It's interesting (but not surprising, given the author of this thread!) that the singular focus here is layoffs at Toyota in Australia.
The reality of the car business in Australia is that it's in really bad shape.
Yes, Toyota has had a layoff---350 employees.
The GM subsidiary there--Holden--has just laid off an entire shift, with more to follow.
Ford, the other carmaker there has already had a significant layoff.

Two main reasons for the slump in Aussie car business--(1)The Australian dollar has increased significantly in value, and (2)The government has cut off a long established $500 million subsidy to the auto industry.

Even stranger is that the focus on Toyota overlooks the fact that over half a million employess in the US car manufacturing business have lost their jobs due to restructuring in that sector.
That figure does not include supplier and retail employees swho are now unemployed as well.

Also--nothing is mentioned of the thousands of citizens who have had their retirement plans devastated by automaker bankruptcies, and losses in share value (of government owned stock--ie taxpayers) of at least one restructured automaker in the US.

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Proud Canadian wrote:
It's interesting (but not surprising, given the author of this thread!) that the singular focus here is layoffs at Toyota in Australia.
The reality of the car business in Australia is that it's in really bad shape.
Yes, Toyota has had a layoff---350 employees.
The GM subsidiary there--Holden--has just laid off an entire shift, with more to follow.
Ford, the other carmaker there has already had a significant layoff.
Two main reasons for the slump in Aussie car business--(1)The Australian dollar has increased significantly in value, and (2)The government has cut off a long established $500 million subsidy to the auto industry.
Even stranger is that the focus on Toyota overlooks the fact that over half a million employess in the US car manufacturing business have lost their jobs due to restructuring in that sector.
That figure does not include supplier and retail employees swho are now unemployed as well.
Also--nothing is mentioned of the thousands of citizens who have had their retirement plans devastated by automaker bankruptcies, and losses in share value (of government owned stock--ie taxpayers) of at least one restructured automaker in the US.
You forgot Mazda. Mazda is really taking a lot of conquest from Toyota in Australia. Also, I believe Toyota is laying off 7% of their Australian workforce, that is much more than 350, correct?
Proud Canadian

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Whoever foolishly put the "disagree emoticon" on my post should become a little more familiar with reality before criticising information which is truthful and beyond any contradiction.
The information posted about the situation in Australia is factual in every respect.
Proud Canadian

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>You forgot Mazda. Mazda is really taking a lot of conquest from Toyota in Australia. Also, I believe Toyota is laying off 7% of their Australian workforce, that is much more than 350, correct?
It was announced in Aussie media today that the figure is 350 employees.
And yes, I overlooked Mazda. They have had layoffs as well.

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Proud Canadian wrote:
<quoted text>
It was announced in Aussie media today that the figure is 350 employees.
And yes, I overlooked Mazda. They have had layoffs as well.
No, no, no, Mazda is taking sales from Toyota (conquest) in Australia. Also, Toyota is laying off 7% of their workforce in Australia. That is much more than 350.

I judged you comment because I disagree with it. You started the comment with a swipe at me, and then you state the obvious, this thread is about Toyota layoffs in Australia.
Well of course it is! That is what the title says. Further, you said they are laying off 350 when in fact they are laying off 7% of the workforce.

Instead of starting your comment off with a personal swipe, you should have just stated your opinion.
Proud Canadian

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>No, no, no, Mazda is taking sales from Toyota (conquest) in Australia. Also, Toyota is laying off 7% of their workforce in Australia. That is much more than 350.
I judged you comment because I disagree with it. You started the comment with a swipe at me, and then you state the obvious, this thread is about Toyota layoffs in Australia.
Well of course it is! That is what the title says. Further, you said they are laying off 350 when in fact they are laying off 7% of the workforce.
Instead of starting your comment off with a personal swipe, you should have just stated your opinion.
Toyota has a workforce of 5200 in Australia.
7 percent of 5000 is pretty close to 350.
Furthermore, it wasn't a personal swipe--it was the truth.
You are by far the most vocal poster in these forums when it comes to dissing Toyota. The facts speak for themselves in that regard.
When one considers the huge number of people directly or indirectly employed by Toyota and other Asian manufacturers in North America, plus the direct and indirect economic impact of their operations here, it seems to me to be rather stupid to complain about them as much as you (and others) do.
Keep it up--driving them out of the country will be your legacy--something to be proud of!(not!!).

Dallas, TX.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Nope, it was a personal swipe. People were having a conversation about Toyota’s layoff and you chimed in about me as if that somehow discredits the story. I find it interesting that Toyota said these people would have employment for life. How do you feel about that?
Proud Canadian

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

JJFADS wrote:
Nope, it was a personal swipe. People were having a conversation about Toyota’s layoff and you chimed in about me as if that somehow discredits the story. I find it interesting that Toyota said these people would have employment for life. How do you feel about that?
Personal swipe---not really.
You want to see "Personal Swipes"?
Go back and take a look at what I've been "swiped" with--and you gleefully participated in many of those!

Re your rebuttal...
If you take the blinders off or have enough sincerity to go beyond your bias, you will learn two things--One, those employees laid off were "temps"; and two, Toyota has generally stuck pretty well to its legacy of keeping people employed--especially here in North America.
Happy and Laughing

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2012

Judged:

Tom Loy wrote:
<quoted text>
Who knows why they said it.
I know and I agree with you. I think it as a bunch of manure! But it is bad that Toyota people are getting the lay off.
Australia

Haymarket, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2012

Judged:

Hundreds of Toyota workers 'to be marched out'
http://www.theage.com.au/business/hundreds-of...
Curius

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2012

Judged:

Putting the Australian auto sector in perspective, layoffs are happening at all auto plants there.
Three main reasons are:
(1)Sales of new cars has dropped to all time lows in Australia.
(2) The Australian dollar has increased dramatically against world currencies and this has caused a huge increase in costs to automakers.
(3) The Government there has dropped huge subsidies to the sector, which has caused the automakers to raise prices significantly.

Quote from Associated Press April 12, 2012...

"The industry, spread across three car makers, employs 46,000 building cars and 200,000 indirectly in parts, service and sales.

Citing the strong Australian dollar and increased competition, this month Holden (GM) cut 400 casual and contract jobs at its Adelaide plant, while Toyota earlier announced it would axe 350 jobs. They are the first cuts since Mitsubishi closed its Adelaide plant in 2008 leading to the loss of 930 jobs.

The cuts are other blow to an industry reeling from poor sales, high costs, and the Government's decision to slash $500 million from formerly lucrative subsidy packagss."
Curius

Windsor, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2012

Judged:

GM's Holden Plant in Australia lays off another 600 employees.

This layoff follows an earlier layoff at Holden's Adelaide Plant of 1400 employees.

Latest News Australia, March 1, 2012

"In the news: General Motors Corp.’s GM Australian unit has announced last Monday that it will shed 15% of its workforce at its Elizabeth plant in South Australia State by the end of April. GM Holden Ltd. will offer voluntary redundancy packages to 600 workers who will be included in the 15% labor cut that GM’s Australia subsidiary will implement at its plant, north of Adelaide. Such is the result of improved efficiency of its automated assembly which allows the auto maker to maintain production with fewer workers.

But according to some analysts the cutting down of workers by GM’s Australian unit was due to the decline in sales of Holden’s locally built products."

Keane also added that no jobs would be lost at Holden’s Melbourne engine manufacturing plant. It should be noted that Holden has already laid off 1400 jobs at its Elizabeth plant in August of 2005. Holden has currently 4050 employees and will be reduced further by shedding 600 workers resulting to 3450 workers at the plant. Keane also said that it is not guaranteed if there won’t be any more job cuts in the future.“You can’t rule out anything in this business, obviously the market changes. We can never guarantee what the future holds.”

"
Love and Happiness

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2012

Judged:

I feel bad for the Toyota workers.
Root

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2012

Judged:

Curius wrote:
GM's Holden Plant in Australia lays off another 600 employees.
This layoff follows an earlier layoff at Holden's Adelaide Plant of 1400 employees.
Latest News Australia, March 1, 2012
"In the news: General Motors Corp.’s GM Australian unit has announced last Monday that it will shed 15% of its workforce at its Elizabeth plant in South Australia State by the end of April. GM Holden Ltd. will offer voluntary redundancy packages to 600 workers who will be included in the 15% labor cut that GM’s Australia subsidiary will implement at its plant, north of Adelaide. Such is the result of improved efficiency of its automated assembly which allows the auto maker to maintain production with fewer workers.
But according to some analysts the cutting down of workers by GM’s Australian unit was due to the decline in sales of Holden’s locally built products."
Keane also added that no jobs would be lost at Holden’s Melbourne engine manufacturing plant. It should be noted that Holden has already laid off 1400 jobs at its Elizabeth plant in August of 2005. Holden has currently 4050 employees and will be reduced further by shedding 600 workers resulting to 3450 workers at the plant. Keane also said that it is not guaranteed if there won’t be any more job cuts in the future.“You can’t rule out anything in this business, obviously the market changes. We can never guarantee what the future holds.”
"
I read about this in debate. You are trying to change the topic from Toyota to another brand.
Love and Happiness

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2012

Judged:

So this brings back the question about Toyota. Why do they say you will have a job for life if it is not true?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent IT Services Discussions

Search the IT Services Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Huntsville PC Repair - www.HuntsvillePCTech.net Jul 23 Sponsored Post 1
A Euro for Your Thoughts Jul 3 Human at Earth 4
SaaS and Cloud ERP Observations: Is Cloud ERP R... (Nov '13) Jun '14 Dimitar 2
Amazon blocking orders of Warner Bros. movies i... Jun '14 Bizarro 1
HP To Cut 24,600 Jobs As Part Of EDS Integration (Sep '08) May '14 Human at Earth 15
briefed on what the CIA was up May '14 Mark 1
Is Amazon ruining dating in Seattle? May '14 dizzyprincess 1
•••
•••