Bally's Crunch Fitness sold for $45 million

Health club industry veteran Marc Tascher and investment firm Angelo, Gordon & Co. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
gojdog773

United States

#123 Nov 8, 2007
Bally is an evil empire. If you signed a contract you will be bound to it. Decide not to pay it and it WILL appear on your credit report. COntinue to ignore it and it will stay there and be passed along to multiple credit agencies and will stay on your credit. It WILL NOT go away. Moral of the story....READ THE CONTRACTS YOU SIGN. This is nothing new people. Sales people have lied since the beginning of time. Read what you sign.
Milind

Sunnyvale, CA

#124 Nov 8, 2007
Ballys Misleads people. My wife had joined Ballys. we specifically asked that the contract say a month to month deal. However today when my wife wants to cancel that membership since we are moving, they are again insisting that we signed up for a 3 year membership and that we have to pay a 1000$ cancellation fee! I feel that they manipulate the papers and documents that they we sign and give them.
Their service is also horrible and their gyms are small and always packed with too many people with little room to do any exercise.
Hello12

Danville, CA

#125 Dec 5, 2007
I went to bally a few days ago and said to the sales person I want a month to month deal, no contract. He promised me first and said to me bally will offer me $18 dollar a month without contract, but there is and enrollment fee of $15 plus $5 of member ship card.

I thought that was a great deal and I gave the sales person all the imformation he needed. Including my license number, social security number, and my credit card number.

However, after he ran my credit card, the sales person bring me into and other office and told me that I need to sign a 36 month contract. He said that his manager can not provide that offer what he told to me. He told me that I can cancel the contract at any time.

When I asked him if there was any cancelation fees? He answered me is just $50 to cancel. Also, he told me not to worry about the cancelation, he could take care of it.

Looks good, ha? But what he said is different from the contract. I decided not to sign the contract. I asked him if I could bring the contract home to read it carefully.

The sales person persuade me to sign the contract. But I still said I need to read it first before I sign it.

So, the sales person bring the $20 credit card reciepts for me to sign it.
How stupid I was, I signed that reciept.
Although I thought the contract would not effect unless I signed it. But I signed my credit card receipt without any knowledge.
Since I reject the contract, I did not need to pay for it. Is that correct?
I am reglect right now.

I do anything to protect myself.

So, do not give your social security to any fitness. What the sales person told you may be different from the contract.
Be aware, don't trust any one.
Be careful for what you give and what you sign.
Emma Long

United States

#126 Dec 23, 2007
Hello12 wrote:
I went to bally a few days ago and said to the sales person I want a month to month deal, no contract. He promised me first and said to me bally will offer me $18 dollar a month without contract, but there is and enrollment fee of $15 plus $5 of member ship card.
I thought that was a great deal and I gave the sales person all the imformation he needed. Including my license number, social security number, and my credit card number.
However, after he ran my credit card, the sales person bring me into and other office and told me that I need to sign a 36 month contract. He said that his manager can not provide that offer what he told to me. He told me that I can cancel the contract at any time.
When I asked him if there was any cancelation fees? He answered me is just $50 to cancel. Also, he told me not to worry about the cancelation, he could take care of it.
Looks good, ha? But what he said is different from the contract. I decided not to sign the contract. I asked him if I could bring the contract home to read it carefully.
The sales person persuade me to sign the contract. But I still said I need to read it first before I sign it.
So, the sales person bring the $20 credit card reciepts for me to sign it.
How stupid I was, I signed that reciept.
Although I thought the contract would not effect unless I signed it. But I signed my credit card receipt without any knowledge.
Since I reject the contract, I did not need to pay for it. Is that correct?
I am reglect right now.
I do anything to protect myself.
So, do not give your social security to any fitness. What the sales person told you may be different from the contract.
Be aware, don't trust any one.
Be careful for what you give and what you sign.
I had to cancel my credit card and get a new credit card. Bally sold my membership to Crunch, and gave them my credit card information. Bally should never have sold my membership because I had a premier membership with Bally (contract from 1999). The only way I could get Bally's attention was to walk into the managers office where 2 people were ready to sign on the dotted line and complain very loudly " You guys gave my credit card information to Crunch Fitness and now they are double billing me. My credit card is really messed up now. How could you give out my credit information to another company and let them bill me?" The manager grew visibly upset as the people in his office with the papers in front of them looked very unhappy. He couldn't hustle me away too soon. I told him I would not leave the club until it was resolved, and that I would be back every day to grab anyone who was leaving the club to tell them my problems with Crunch and Bally. All of a sudden the District Manager who I was told was not on the premises appeared. I straightened out my Bally problem, but the Crunch problem was only rectified by cancelling my amex card.
Vorpal Sword

Brooklyn, NY

#127 Feb 8, 2008
Trust me when I tell you that while Crunch Fitness spends millions on inscrutably pointless ad campaigns and branding in an effort to seem hip and trendy and drive up their shady sales numbers, for the past two years they have done absolutely nothing to solve the real problems at hand, amongst which are numerous IT and systemic failures that result in constant "accidental" double-billing and late fees for unsuspecting customers.

To boot, once they've messed up your account and you call desperately to solve the problem, you'll quickly learn that Crunch has the absolute worst customer service ever. This is not in any way to assert that the "on the ground" employees (both in the corporate office and in the gyms) of the company are at fault - in fact, the employees are dedicated, bright and resourceful. However, this enthusiasm does not at all mitigate the real problems at hand, which are a total lack of scruples on the part of the sales people and executives of the company. Things are not going to get better. My recommendation is that you quit your membership while you're ahead, because things are not going to get better.
cgallagher

Elkridge, MD

#128 Apr 9, 2008
If you really want to cancel your membership and can't. Try letting a family member or friend use your card and then call the facility and tell them you are a member and know of a member letting family and use their membership, give the the name on the card and tell them the member is letting others use this card, or really let them. I was cancelled because another member told staff my mom was using my card, although she was not using it and they never observed my mom using it. They only took the other members word and cancelled my contract. Sent me a refund of my partial renewal fee. So if you want out, it works. GOOD LUCK. They are the worst people.
Thoroughly Disgusted

New York, NY

#129 May 18, 2008
Crunch has the absolute worst customer service. They charged me for two years on a one year renewal, it took months to reimburse me, showed no remorse whatsoever. Offered no apology. Were condescending and rude. Stay away.
Frederica Miller

AOL

#130 May 22, 2008
Has anyone experienced sexual harassment or invasion of privacy issues at Crunch, including the locker rooms? I am investigating an incident that happened at the NYC Soho Crunch, 623 Broadway. Post an answer here or send an email to me at: fmjuris@aol.com.
kmim

Los Angeles, CA

#131 Jul 2, 2008
cgallagher wrote:
If you really want to cancel your membership and can't. Try letting a family member or friend use your card and then call the facility and tell them you are a member and know of a member letting family and use their membership, give the the name on the card and tell them the member is letting others use this card, or really let them. I was cancelled because another member told staff my mom was using my card, although she was not using it and they never observed my mom using it. They only took the other members word and cancelled my contract. Sent me a refund of my partial renewal fee. So if you want out, it works. GOOD LUCK. They are the worst people.
i'm going to use this method but i REALLLY need your help first! i just want to make sure that it works out..
1) my boyfriend really used my card but he lost it. Should I get a new card?

2) do i have to call or my boyfriend?

3) who do i call?

4) what exactly do i tell them??
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
JF East Meadow NY

Brentwood, NY

#132 Jul 22, 2008
I purchased a lifetime membership from Jack LaLanne back in the 70's which was turned over to Ballys. I have been paying a set price every year since then as per the contract for the annual membership. All of a sudden this year they raised it! I don't know if I can find my contract after all these years. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Bob

AOL

#133 Sep 17, 2008
worker bee wrote:
That's nice that Bally's has the cash to buy Crunch. When are Crunch workers going to be paid? It has been over two pay periods since some workers in the Smyrna, GA Crunch location have been paid. Maybe someone should start telling the patrons that the workers are not being paid in a timely manner?
There is a rumor that Bally will could possibly close it doors in chicago nex week. Anybody else here this?
Bob

AOL

#134 Sep 17, 2008
There is a rumor that Bally could possibly close its doors in chicago next week. Anybody else here this?

sorry for the typos in the previous post.
Class action

Hoboken, NJ

#136 Oct 21, 2008
class action suit wrote:
I've tried everything to stop being double-billed every month--there's nothing left but legal action for punitive damages...
THe same thing is happening to people in NYC, if you sign up for a month to month and then try to cancel the membership, they never cancel it. I had to stop the charges on my credit card end. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD, pay Cash. Also Prior to this they signed me up for an All access but then "in the system" it was a single access membership, luckily i kept a copy of the contract. But even with the contract they still tried to argue with me.
FORMER EMPLOYEE

Bayonne, NJ

#137 Oct 21, 2008
They will screw you all like they screw their members and their employees over here in America!!!
Hung wrote:
If all you folks are angry on how crunch has been handaling members complaints quess how the Chinese
comunity might feel about crunch coming into the Chinese market. We need to stop them.
FORMER EMPLOYEE

Bayonne, NJ

#138 Oct 21, 2008
As a former employee, that is more than likely true. Crunch originally had 5 gyms located in Chicago,now look,they only have 3. Funny, they must have had to close their doors to pay for all their attorney fees since they are being sued left and right. THEY DESERVE IT!!!
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a rumor that Bally will could possibly close it doors in chicago nex week. Anybody else here this?
Simple solution

Oregon City, OR

#139 Oct 25, 2010
My advice, further to the advice below: Cancel your card and request a new one. They cannot charge a debit/credit card that is no longer valid. I replace my debit card every year or so with a new one so that a new number will be issued and I can avoid having to worry about past creditors charging against an old account.
"My advice - DO NOT GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD OR BANK ACCOUNT INFO TO A FITNESS CLUB. They can continue to charge as long as they want to. Credit cards like AMEX will continue to bill you. AMEX will side with the party that is paying the transaction fees - CRUNCH."
Hanna

Portland, OR

#140 Jun 11, 2012
Can you be sent to collections or have your credit score affected by not paying your bill at Crunch Fitness?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Investment Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Icahn Says EBay Should Pursue PayPal Sale Now i... 6 hr Philip Cohen 1
Hedge Funds Cut Bullish Bets on Crude as Prices... Mon harvinedhalmon 1
Goldman called clients 'muppets,' ex-executive ... (Mar '12) Oct 18 Swedenforever 64
Banks Back Swap Contracts That Could Help Unwin... Oct 13 lovelyjasher 1
Ones to watch: Banking/wealth management Oct 10 william foor 1
Hong Kong Stock ETF Bulls Growing as Short Sell... Oct 8 illuminati nafly 4
EBay Price Target Raised On M&A Possibility Oct 3 Philip Cohen 1

Investment Services People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE