Inappropriate Comment
Joey

Towson, MD

#1 Aug 10, 2014
I'm a director at a government agency that has 70 full time employees. There is a CEO that is appointed by a 5 member board, and the 5 board members are appointed by the county executive. I am one of 4 directors that report directly to the CEO.

Recently, in a senior mgmt meeting with the 3 directors and the CEO, the HR Director (a woman) mentioned that a new intern (a female college student majoring in accounting) was starting in the accounting department the following Monday. The accounting director who hired the intern was on vacation this day. In response to the HR Director, the CEO quipped "Didn't she work at Hooters? And before that, she was a stripper at the (local strip club)?" The HR Director, who is clearly the bosses favorite and in his pocket, laughed.

The girl had never worked at Hooters or as a stripper - she just happens to have large breasts, and the CEO thought it would be funny to make a joke about that in a senior mgmt meeting. I was made very uncomfortable by this quote, and by the fact that the HR Director thought it was funny. As a male who has had a long career, I'm not naive to the jokes that get thrown around in offices, but in this setting, I felt it was highly inappropriate. What do you think? Should anything be done about it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Human Resources Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Union avoidance supervisor training Feb 7 kmarsh 1
Any one used chatbots in HR? any pointers? Feb 6 HRpro 1
Hiring Feb 5 sphinx710 1
staffing coordinator at lifecare center of palm... Jan 22 Seven Moore 1
Thinking About Your Drinking Jan '18 isabella16 2
Legal question Jan '18 Blindsided 1
human resource Jan '18 marryoliver90 5
More from around the web