Is naming a group of Chinese develope...

Is naming a group of Chinese developers in China "Sticky Rice" racist?

Posted in the Human Resources Forum

Nathan

Worcester, MA

#1 Jun 6, 2014
I am in an argument with someone on this issue and would like opinions of professionals in the area. The contention is that sticky rice is a common dish in Asia, so to name a group by that term is not at all racist. I claim that by defining a group by an association of that group effectively marginalizes the group which makes this racist in nature. The counter-argument states that labeling these ideas or representations as racist is ignorance of statistical facts.
What are your thoughts?
abcs

Tualatin, OR

#2 Sep 11, 2014
I believe it's racist. it's like naming a African American group fried chicken or purple drink
Jose

Orange, CA

#3 Oct 29, 2014
Joke is a Joke, if you two are good friends it's ok. If not it might sound sarcastic.
AreYouSerious

Bellevue, WA

#4 Oct 31, 2014
This can't be serious. I am a half-Asian business professional here in America, and I can tell you definitively that YES, OF COURSE this would be offensive and should absolutely NOT be used - unless one is trying to position the company for negative press, class-action suits, boycotts and other negative actions depending on the context and exposure.
As for the "counter argument" that states "that labeling these ideas or representations as racist is ignorance of statistical facts." is absurd and ignorant. Asians also have slanted eyes; why not call the group "SLANTS"? That, in case your "colleague" in MA missed it, was sarcasm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Human Resources Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ask the Pro: Apr '16 Mammoth 1
Weed in the Workplace - Answers to Commonly Ask... Apr '16 Mammoth 1
Will a Misdemeanor of larceny keep me from gett... (Mar '08) Apr '16 Ex criminal 19
Should i consult HR Mar '16 Cvan351 1
Holding onto personal information Mar '16 ILHRQUEEN 1
News Who needs the liberal arts? Marco Rubio might Feb '16 Golf Foxtrot Yankee 1
Part-time exempt employee Feb '16 Julie 1
More from around the web