Will a Misdemeanor of larceny keep me from getting a job?

Posted in the Human Resources Forum

sellingone

High Point, NC

#1 Mar 3, 2008
Will a misdemeanor of larceny keep someone from getting a pharmaceutical position or position in sales? It was a complete misunderstanding and I did not seek legal representation because I thought I would be able to tell the judge what happened. instead he asked if i had a lawyer and when I said know he said guilty of the crime. Afterwards I was told that it was a misdemeanor of larceny that I was charged with and had I known I wouldn't be able to plead my case I would have gotten an attorney. I have been told that there is no way to remove it from my record at this point because I was found guilty. WTF, anyway, this happened 3.5yrs ago and I really don't want it keeping me from getting a job. Any honest and real info/help would be greatly appreciated.
Phil Nguyen

Fort Myers, FL

#2 Oct 13, 2008
Well I got 2 misdemeanor for something really stupid. The law is pretty ridiculous these day and so hopefully you should be fine. I would hire people with misdemeanor but felony might be tougher.
screwed

Roanoke, VA

#3 Nov 27, 2008
i have a simple possesion of marijuana from 2 years ago and three bounced checks from a year ago.. both misdemeanors and the only job I can get is at a gas station.. I have a BS degree and 15 years of professional work including bank manager for wachovia bank for 6 years.. funny thing is that ccs medical would not hire me for customer service.. but the gas station that hired me is the one where my checks bounced.. since have been paid..
Debby

Memphis, TN

#4 Feb 28, 2009
I have a class A misdemeanor from 1993 in Indiana. In indiana all misdemeanors can be exponged EXCEPT A. And to top it off it was for battery. I took a plea for fear of jail time. I had never been in trouble prior to that event and haven't since. Try to get a job with that on your record. No one will hire you for fear you'll go postal and they don't want to be liable for it. To top it off I'm 49! My previous jobs were all in accounting...an office environment. Go to hard2hire.com . It seems recently they've had more postings for misdemeanor offenders lately. Good luck and God Bless. Isn't it great to be an American where you've paid your debt to society, but you can't get a job because of it? Great country we live in hah?
Plz help

Chesterfield, VA

#5 Jun 12, 2009
I was charged with petty larceny but it got reduced to trespassing..do companies even care that is trespassing and no longer petty larceny? has anyone with a reduced charge from petty larceny to trespassing been able to find work or has it been impossible PLZ HELP!
jill

Dumfries, VA

#6 Nov 10, 2009
I have a grand larceny that is being dropped to a petty larceny, do u know how much jail time that carries? and what class that is in?
tokyo

Panorama City, CA

#7 Aug 4, 2010
keep ya head up . companies hire poeople with all types of crimes . nobody is perfect
Isatu

United States

#8 Nov 15, 2010
Petit Larceny is a class A misdemeanor and can be served anything between and under 364 days of jail time... The question is can you still get a job with it and where can I sought it out?
Mike

Tampa, FL

#9 Apr 9, 2012
I have 2 misdemeanors from 8 years ago I have since got an A.S. degree in IT and am now working on a BA but nobody will hire me anywhere in florida
charolett

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Feb 28, 2013
i am charged with a larceny from a store, the items were in a basket and not on me, I left the basket in the store and walked away, I changed my mind, can I still get charged?
HRJohn

Newport, NY

#11 Mar 21, 2013
The original poster was seeking a real answer, not comparative stories of career doom... while it is apparent that his posting is void of some detail because there pretty much is no way things could have happened as he described - unless he is in some foreign country - there are ways to get jobs (particularly in sales...) Sounds like too many of you have just given up and resigned yourselves to these negative outcomes. There are many places to get answers... for free, too... like about.com/humanresources where real HR people communicate...
Frustrated

Clemmons, NC

#12 Aug 5, 2013
I have a misdemeanor larceny charge on my record from 2009. I have applied to several companies, that claim to hire people that don't have felonies on their record. Of course, I don't have one, so that's what I claim. When the background check comes back with my conviction, I STILL am not hired. I recently even had an interview that went well, but once again, I wasn't offered the position. I see that there are those with crimes worse than mine that are getting hired. I don't understand! What am I doing wrong?
Rob

Mobile, AL

#13 Nov 11, 2013
I pled out to 4 misdemeanors I didnt not do and was falsely convicted in a court that in the words of my corrupt old lazy lawyer Jim Byrd "finds everyone guilty" its a kangaroo court called municipal court where the facts and evidence doesnt matter lies and subterfuge and criminal violations of your human and commmon law rights go on a daily basis....they even had the 2 liars standing right next to each other testifying which is a violation of my civil and fair trial rights in federal court no witness testifies in front of others...and my dumb lawyer only asked 2 questions they tripped up all over themselves and were looking at each other confirming what to say absolute corruption....these judges and these crooked DA's and crooked cops are the true felons and this seperating America into haves an have nots based on the falsely conviction based criminal injustice system that literally 60-70% of the time the people are entirely innocent and are lied on by satanic masonic specially priviledged criminals....its sick
Joe Doh

Lehigh Acres, FL

#14 Nov 2, 2014
Batman was here

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Human Resources Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indigo Recruiting Group (Aug '12) Sat boy from Cali 12
Great Article About Why Traditional Performance... Dec 8 Alan S 1
New Associate Chief of Staff named at Georgetow... Nov 28 ticks-and-lyme-di... 4
Additional application questions to me from HR Nov '14 Jane Monroe 2
Why so many of your employees leave (and what t... Nov '14 Anonymous 2
Is HR the missing link in a company's strategy?... Nov '14 Anonymous 2
Is naming a group of Chinese developers in Chin... (Jun '14) Oct '14 AreYouSerious 4
More from around the web