Occupancy drops to 89 percent at large rental complexes in Santa Cr...

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

After bidding farewell to a larger than usual number of university graduates, Cypress Point is offering a deal to lure student renters before the September rush: $1,400 off the move-in rent with a 14-month lease.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 38 of38
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
meth madness continues

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

Judged:

Nose to the grindstone wrote:
Sure glad I paid off the mortgage last month.
i wish i could afford my own house. i have rented almost my entire life. but i never knew what crazy was until i moved to the Mission Gardens Apartments. none of the other apartment complexes i lived in had meth cookers, meth tweakers and gang bangers going around killing people.

also the other landlords took care of problems. none of them would accept criminals terrorizing their other renters. The John Stewart Company is the low point in property management for me. they punish the law abiding residents to protect the criminals. it's all about money and preserving an advertised image. think of it: the landlord protecting criminals!

i hope to use my hard earned degree and work my way out of the Mission Gardens Apartments. between The John Stewart Company and their criminal tenants, the future here looks pretty bleak.
Sweetz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

June wrote:
That is so incompatible with the wages of any job listings at the back of the Sentinel.
a $1150 studio? Landlord traditionally require 3X rent in income. You would need to be making over $40,000/yr, which many people with decent jobs at the university don't even make. Where are the 50% who make below average wages living?
With people who can afford to rent these places.
rent crime

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

Judged:

hmmmmm wrote:
Rent in SC is a crime; home cost are ridiculous and don't even get me started on the impact that the ever increasing UC population is having on the area...OK just a little...rent for a studio/garage conversion (cute place, well maintained) in 1998 =$650.00. Same place 4 years later =$1150.00.$100.00 a year increases what? why? omfg? I asked the landlord what was going on as I knew there were no new mortgages; she had owned the place for years and the Landlord said "well I can always rent it to a UC student willing to pay the rent" so I moved and she did.
from 1998 to 2002 i lived in a somewhat shabby apartment in Live Oak. around 2002 the landlord suddenly raised the rent about $350/month to $1250 for a 2-bedroom unit that is smaller than the 1-bedroom unit i currently rent. the landlord told all the tenants that he was raising the rent so much because he could get away with it. not because anything of value had been created or the apartments had been improved. merely because he could get away with increasing our rents so drastically. i moved out of that place about two months later.
SCPD watching

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

Judged:

no vacancy wrote:
<quoted text>
this entire town is really going downhill like you say.
the Mission Gardens Apartments -- managed by The John Stewart Company -- has a 100% occupancy rate, no vacancies. a management employee told me they have hundreds of families on their applicant waiting list.
yet Carl Reimer was brutally murdered here about three months ago by meth abusing gang bangers. there have been lots of vandalism and car break ins, domestic violence, gang activity, meth cooking, meth dealing and meth/alcohol abuse. the list goes on and on here ...
because rents are so expensive in Santa Cruz, all of these poor people here are stuck. they have no place to escape to.
worse, The John Stewart Company stubbornly refuses to admit there is crime and criminals at the Mission Gardens Apartments. so they are not going to evict anyone for being a threat to other residents and to the neighborhood.
thus the article carries some irony for me. i would be cheering if the Mission Gardens Apartments had some vacancies.
do you think the SCPD looks through all the posts on the Sentinel boards?
Overappraised Slum Lords

Copperopolis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

These real estate franchises are capitolizing off the federally subsidized student loan under the Student Financial Aid Commission.

Meanwhile, as they are RAKING in huge sums of moneys, they squander THAT equity in piss poor investments.

On the other hand, kids who pay these prices might as well be paying a mortgage.

Job market is grim, no thanks to their landlords. They take that money and hire at less than living wage standard, advance an empire of serfdom where nobody is earning equity into the property they're paying .. effectively stifeling deer enterprise and sustainable industry.

It's questionable whether these kids will ever be able to sufficiently pay back against their student loans that pay this kind of rent under the current job market.

Plus, the UC Santa Cruz has terrible reputation nationwide with being the, erm, "prettiest campus" to distinguish it's brand.

And Santa Cruz itself is also considered "least affordable" (fancy way of saying "jip") under national statistics.

City taxes are being siphoned as it is to meet the special interest agenda of the Union Lobby interests of the UC through the Redevelopment Agency - which is highly exclusive against the common constituent in the area.

Upon trying to recruit graduates from UC Santa Cruz system, an employer quickly learns how these kids chose such a campus .. a pleasure camp for stupid rich kids.. ultimately giddy, uninformed, uneducated, liberal, confused, and kinda ditsy.

Even the US Marines had to endure quite the reception from that campus under it's recruitment program. The US Marines only need a few good men, and what they find instead at UC Santa Cruz is an army of ninnies.
Cops vs Constituency

Copperopolis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

SCPD watching wrote:
<quoted text>
do you think the SCPD looks through all the posts on the Sentinel boards?
That would mean they'd be doing their job.. but no, they'd rather not. They'll harrass you over a seatbelt ticket in an inhabited area baring no risk to public safety, instead.

All they want are their pensions, silly! As someone said on one of these forums, "they're too afraid to do their job, and too afraid to quit."

Job market is really bad, you know..
SCPD watching

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

Judged:

no vacancy wrote:
<quoted text>
this entire town is really going downhill like you say.
the Mission Gardens Apartments -- managed by The John Stewart Company -- has a 100% occupancy rate, no vacancies. a management employee told me they have hundreds of families on their applicant waiting list.
yet Carl Reimer was brutally murdered here about three months ago by meth abusing gang bangers. there have been lots of vandalism and car break ins, domestic violence, gang activity, meth cooking, meth dealing and meth/alcohol abuse. the list goes on and on here ...
because rents are so expensive in Santa Cruz, all of these poor people here are stuck. they have no place to escape to.
worse, The John Stewart Company stubbornly refuses to admit there is crime and criminals at the Mission Gardens Apartments. so they are not going to evict anyone for being a threat to other residents and to the neighborhood.
thus the article carries some irony for me. i would be cheering if the Mission Gardens Apartments had some vacancies.
I've watched all your posting about Mission Gardens and J. Stewart. You might want to consider that the SCPD is probably watching.
SCPD watching

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

Judged:

Cops vs Constituency wrote:
<quoted text>
That would mean they'd be doing their job.. but no, they'd rather not. They'll harrass you over a seatbelt ticket in an inhabited area baring no risk to public safety, instead.
All they want are their pensions, silly! As someone said on one of these forums, "they're too afraid to do their job, and too afraid to quit."
Job market is really bad, you know..
I find it difficult to believe that the SCPD doesn't mine the Sentinel posting boards for all the golden nuggets of info contained therein.
Colonel Burnside

Felton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

Judged:

SCPD watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it difficult to believe that the SCPD doesn't mine the Sentinel posting boards for all the golden nuggets of info contained therein.
BFD. What if they are? So what.

I've read their posts, & I've read your posts. Unless someone here is stupid enough to say something that's self incriminating, then they're "peeing into the wind".

The only 'nuggets' I see in here thus far are brown.

Cheers.
believe it or not

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

Judged:

Colonel Burnside wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless someone here is stupid enough to say something that's self incriminating, then they're "peeing into the wind".
believe it or not there are people stupid enough to say something to self incriminate. mostly meth tweakers thou.
Mission Gardens madness

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

Judged:

SC Longtimer wrote:
I don't know about most of the larger complexes....rents are extremely overpriced - greed proliferates!
As for Pacific Shores....I lived there for 6 months....couldn't take the abusive behaviour of management...also, crime (lots of it) and punctured car tires in parking lot. I also suspected (as did several other tenants), that my apartment was entered by staff when I wasn't there. Many clues.
Although they tell you they have a security patrol from "First Alarm", this is absolutely meaningless! They show up to close the pool area nightly and chase away tenants who hang around past closing at 10:00 pm. People who don't even live, or know anyone who does, show up to use the pool. However, any other time, it takes a long time for First Alarm to show up...worthless. SC police show up faster. Management doen't like it when you call the police. It goes on record - bad publicity.
Also: management is untrustworthy and unreasonable; they will show you copies of rules and regulations before you move in and, a couple of months later, reverse and rewrite their rules and regulations to meet whatever situation comes up that they don't like. They also ignore certain ruels for certain tenants. I kept copies of these rule changes! You are left in the dust....."They reserve the right to modify their policies as they see fit."
This complex is managed by Woodmont, as are both Paloma del Mar and Vista del Mar, next door, in Freedom: I know people who have lived there also....same story with management there also, possibly worse. Woodmont seems to hire absolutely the worst people for their complexes. Both Freedom complexes are for senior citizens....what a shame for a senior to move into what seems to be a very nice environment, only to discover what is hidden beneath the beautiful surface! Many seniors can't afford to move elsewhere and must suffer the abusive management.
Unless you enjoy living in a dictatorship with very abusive management' don't move into any of these complexes!
wow. terrible property managers. when i first read your description i assumed that Pacific Shores was managed by The John Stewart Company. i guess a few are the worst of the worst.
endless bummer

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

Judged:

meth madness continues wrote:
i hope to use my hard earned degree and work my way out of the Mission Gardens Apartments. between The John Stewart Company and their criminal tenants, the future here looks pretty bleak.
Bleak, indeed, John.

Two years later, you're still there, and the only thing you've managed to work your way out of is any semblance of credibility here, and elsewhere (as even indybay buries some of your self-aggrandizing rants in the broken health and housing link).

How does it feel being JSCO's bitch?
Buzz

Foster City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

Judged:

endless bummer wrote:
<quoted text>
Bleak, indeed, John.
Two years later, you're still there, and the only thing you've managed to work your way out of is any semblance of credibility here, and elsewhere (as even indybay buries some of your self-aggrandizing rants in the broken health and housing link).
How does it feel being JSCO's bitch?
LOL no one except for you cares about "credibility" on the Topix board LOL

This is troll central. Everyone knows it.
rehabthebill

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Large rental complexes equals a corporate complex or mindset. That mindset demands three months rent to move into a unit. A credit check. A CONTRACT ie move out early and they'll still come after you for the remainder of the contract NOT the last time you used the unit.
Whaaa whaaa whaaa

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
i wish i could afford my own house. i have rented almost my entire life. but i never knew what crazy was until i moved to the Mission Gardens Apartments. none of the other apartment complexes i lived in had meth cookers, meth tweakers and gang bangers going around killing people.
also the other landlords took care of problems. none of them would accept criminals terrorizing their other renters. The John Stewart Company is the low point in property management for me. they punish the law abiding residents to protect the criminals. it's all about money and preserving an advertised image. think of it: the landlord protecting criminals!
whaaaa whaaaa whaaaaa

“Facile Largire de Alieno”

Since: Sep 12

Scotts Valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2012

Whaaa whaaa whaaa wrote:
<quoted text>
whaaaa whaaaa whaaaaa
Crybaby John sure is a one-trick pony!

John E Colby who posts as DBS, Buzz, Check on Reality, Donny B, endless bummer, takes these names from posters who have offended him by commenting on his crackpot posts. He also frequently posts as Skeptic and Casual Observer.

In his real life, John is an obese, angry, whiny, unemployed, delusional paranoid psychotic who resembles the Pillsbury Dough Boy and lives with his equally morbidly obese sister Pat and two incontinent cats in the Mission Gardens section 8 housing on Grandview in Santa Cruz.

John possesses an enormous, but totally unjustified ego. He claims to have a PhD from UCSC, but lives on public assistance. All the above is verifiable from letters written to IndyBay, Metro Santa Cruz, Topix, the Santa Cruz Sentinel and the San Jose Mercury News. He started on a tirade about meth. He brought meth into almost every thread he posted til it became ludicrous, and he still kept going. MAYBE this is why he's such a mess today.

John's "job" is trying to control all the Topix threads with time outs where he barrages city and county leaders with demands--none of which get serious consideration. He's sent out many complaints to HUD about his section 8 housing and has an ongoing war with JS Co who manages his complex. He's complained for over 3 years, but there he stays. Over 30 of his neighbors signed a petition to have him evicted, alleging he was a threat to children. Unfortunately, John is in a protected class and his neighbors are stuck living next to a ticking time bomb (my opinion).

John also loves to accuse his critics (people he doesn't know except for their posting names which he hijacks) of using meth, being on welfare, being unemployed and doing criminal acts of which there is no evidence. What's the term for someone who projects all his failings on to someone else?
PollywantmoreWel fare

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
but ya gotta LOOK for a job first, John!!!

“Facile Largire de Alieno”

Since: Sep 12

Scotts Valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2012

PollywantmoreWelfare wrote:
<quoted text>
but ya gotta LOOK for a job first, John!!!
Colby posted his wine-a-festo years ago and hasn't stopped crying since. Still hasn't found (or even looked) for a job. Wikipedia is considering using his photo along with the definition of "loser".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 38 of38
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••