Levitz Furniture Going Out of Business

Levitz Furniture Going Out of Business

There are 63 comments on the News10 Sacramento story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Levitz Furniture Going Out of Business. In it, News10 Sacramento reports that:

Levitz Furniture, which has been in business since 1910, is closing all 76 stores nationwide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News10 Sacramento.

“Insert words of wisdom here”

Since: Oct 07

Fair Oaks

#23 Dec 7, 2007
Looken wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you mean 'Are you a Cougar'?
I will explain in e-mail, don't want to blow her cover

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#24 Dec 7, 2007
Atheena wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my. I remember those too! Are we dating ourselves, or what?
Anyone remember Rod Serling's Night Gallery? That show used to scare the *&%^( out of me!!
Yes, we are dating ourselves. I remember Night Gallery - very scary. Do you remember The Outer Limits? It had a couple of creepy episodes.

“Let the games begin....”

Citrus Heights, CA

#26 Dec 7, 2007
Have_A_Heart wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we are dating ourselves. I remember Night Gallery - very scary. Do you remember The Outer Limits? It had a couple of creepy episodes.
One episode of Night Gallery has always stuck with me...it was one where the guy had an earwig in his ear that was boring through his brain. After days of agony, it came out the other ear. The show ended with the doctor saying "When the earwig came out, I squeezed it. It was female." The other people looked at him like "And...?" And the doctor said "Females lay eggs...." (fade to black). AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!

Citrus Heights, CA

#27 Dec 7, 2007
And yes, I remember Outer Limits too. It's still on...is it TV Land? One of the satellite channels carries it.

Citrus Heights, CA

#28 Dec 7, 2007
Jack Schitt wrote:
A very big furniture store in Grass Valley just recently closed too. It was called Hedman's. Had been there about 60 years. It was handed to the daughter to run from her parents. She intended on passing the business to her son but, he didn't want to run the business himself. I purchased all of my dining room and living room furniture from them. They trucked it down here. They had BIG TIME QUALITY furniture. I sure miss that store. It's sad when these companies have to go. I think Hedman's had competition but, there isn't anyone in the area who can hold a candle to their quality and service. I think they just got tired of it all.
Even oak furniture is real hard to get in Sac. County. We looked everywhere. I had to go to Auburn on Hwy. 49. They have a great selection and quality too. We bought a stereo cabinet with glass doors. They actually had it made as a stereo cabinet, put the doors on it that we selected. It's solid stuff too NOT particle board.
Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!:o)
Do you think IKEA took their business maybe? People these days seem to prefer disposable cheap stuff.

I love oak myself. I had my kitchen remodeled 5 years ago and bought the cabinets from Home Depot. They automatically thought I'd want maple, and were quoting me prices on that. I asked, "What about the oak? Is that more expensive?" And they kind of gaped at me, with a "well, no, oak will be less".....I think I disappointed them. But I absolutely love my honey oak kitchen!! lol.

“Rick Carsten has a crush on me”

Since: Nov 07

Elk Grove, CA

#29 Dec 7, 2007
Bob Wilkins and his Creature Feature on TV40 late at night.

After Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Thing, I swore off horror movies.

Yeah, that brings back the old days.....

Brrrrr

Citrus Heights, CA

#30 Dec 7, 2007
Creature Feature! That's the name! Wow, you have quite the memory there, JTTG.

“The Friendly Hockey Guy”

Citrus Heights, CA

#31 Dec 8, 2007
There is one old furniture store still in business. That is Halls Furniture off of Mariposa in Citrus Heights. Seems like they been in business forever.

“Educate everyone.”

Since: Aug 07

Sacramento, California

#32 Dec 8, 2007
JTTG wrote:
Brrrrr
I used to call it FEATURE FEATURES primarity because I was about four. HOW OLD ARE YOU PEOPLE?

Arrrrrg!

“Educate everyone.”

Sacramento, California

#33 Dec 8, 2007
Hockey Guy wrote:
There is one old furniture store still in business. That is Halls Furniture off of Mariposa in Citrus Heights. Seems like they been in business forever.
Damn! THANK YOU "Hockey Guy"! My daughters is a seamstress as a hobby and she makes all these incredible costumes. She was asking for storage trunks (like steamer trunks) Now these damn things can range in price from $50 then there is this huge jump to $600. for the high end stuff.

We've been trying to find some mid-range price and Hall's might just be the ticket.

“Educate everyone.”

Sacramento, California

#34 Dec 8, 2007
Just Me - Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
I will explain in e-mail, don't want to blow her cover
Well...don't forget...because you're emails are a little "on again- off again".
Raiderfan

Sacramento, CA

#36 Dec 8, 2007
JTTG wrote:
Brrrrr
As I was reading all the comments about Bob Wilikins I remembered it was called Creature Feature because I used to watch him too; it was on Channel 3 not 40. He was a funny lookin' guy with big glasses and smoked a big cigar. Since everyone is strolling down mammary...I mean memory lane, does anyone remember what his show was called when it moved to Channel 40? Oh, and about Levitz going out of business...who cares?
FED UP WITH IT

United States

#37 Dec 8, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, one of the Levitz family members owned a $500,000 WWII airplane, a P-51 Mustang. Maybe he should have put the money in the company instead.

Citrus Heights, CA

#38 Dec 8, 2007
Looken wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to call it FEATURE FEATURES primarity because I was about four. HOW OLD ARE YOU PEOPLE?
Arrrrrg!
gh
Hmm...I don't remember it that clearly, but I think I was about 8-10 when it was on? Which would make me 5 years older than you....btw, I'm 47.
Lynn

Folsom, CA

#39 Dec 8, 2007
I too, was one to purchase my first furniture "on credit" from Levitz...many many years ago. No, I don't still have any of it. Wasn't made that particularly well, but was affordable at the time... Also had stuff from Bruners...remember them? They were the "high end" furniture store. Don't still have any of that stuff either. Oh well. Furniture just isn't made to last anymore, or it doesn't stay "in style". I have a beautiful walnut china cabinet I inherited from my Mom that's beautiful, & will be around for my Granddaughter to inherit later. I don't know where Mom got it, but she lived in Colorado at the time, about 30 years ago....and it weighs a ton!! It was a pain in the tush to move it.

“Educate everyone.”

Sacramento, California

#40 Dec 8, 2007
Atheena wrote:
<quoted text>
gh
Hmm...I don't remember it that clearly, but I think I was about 8-10 when it was on? Which would make me 5 years older than you....btw, I'm 47.
Good age...if you get my meaning if you get my drift.:{)

Since: Dec 07

Sacramento, CA

#41 Dec 8, 2007
Atheena, I remember the ear wig episode too!!!! I have never looked at an ear wig the same since. Ahhhhhhhhhh..........

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#42 Dec 8, 2007
I am sorry to see Levitz go .... but that is simply just another example of the high cost of low prices .....WalMart.

“Secure our Borders NOW..”

United States

#43 Dec 9, 2007
This is indeed sad. I can remember the Levitz furniture stores for as long as i have been in the Sacto area. Another familiar friend fades into history...........
April

Granada Hills, CA

#44 Dec 14, 2007
I got credit from Levitz and shopped with them for 20 years. I'm sorry to see them go. As for the baby story, it's very sad but business is business and probably another big chain story would have done the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Household Products Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawsuits claims Aarons providing bed bug-infest... (Mar '12) 2 hr Bella40 124
News Cemex sells Lyons cement plant, other assets to... May 4 sodastream pollutes 1
News Can Medicine Boost Female Sex Drive? (Apr '07) Apr 19 goodsupplier 19
News Companies speak out against Georgia 'anti-LGBT'... Mar '16 Yakitori 3
News Home Depot Inc (HD) Shares Sold by Strs Ohio Mar '16 Lori Davidson 3
News Sumitomo Mitsui Asset Management Company LTD Re... Mar '16 Anonymous 2
News Accused in Rosedale stabbing appears in court Mar '16 Sad Puppy Eyes 1
More from around the web