Ecolab stays in downtown St. Paul

Ecolab stays in downtown St. Paul

There are 43 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 1, 2011, titled Ecolab stays in downtown St. Paul. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A major St. Paul employer is keeping its employees downtown. Ecolab, which has 1,300 employees working in three buildings downtown, has resigned a lease on a 150,000-square-foot building at 386 Wabasha St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Nick

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Apr 1, 2011
Thank goodness and thank you Ecolab.
Observateur

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Apr 1, 2011
Thanks to e-coli, that company may want to change its name!
Galtier

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Apr 1, 2011
Great news!
Rolling up sidewalks

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Apr 1, 2011
St. Paul, where three buildings have employees...
St Paul Resident

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Apr 1, 2011
Great news for downtown SP.
Too Funny

United States

#6 Apr 1, 2011
That's odd, I thought St. Paul's and Minnesota's high tax rates were supposed to be driving employers to South Dakota. How can this be?
wtf

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Apr 1, 2011
Too Funny wrote:
That's odd, I thought St. Paul's and Minnesota's high tax rates were supposed to be driving employers to South Dakota. How can this be?
True. You'd think that that was entirely true every corporate office in Minnesota would be renting U-Hauls and beelining out of town.
downtowner

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Apr 1, 2011
Too Funny wrote:
Have you BEEN downtown St Paul lately? It's becoming more and more desolate. Ecolab's staying is great news, but it seems to be an exception.
Sam

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 1, 2011
downtowner wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you BEEN downtown St Paul lately? It's becoming more and more desolate. Ecolab's staying is great news, but it seems to be an exception.
Have you? It's really not.

Since: Mar 10

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Apr 1, 2011
downtowner wrote:
<quoted text>
that's why they're staying. they probably were able to get a better deal on the lease due to less demand.
St Paul Delegation

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Apr 1, 2011
Its nice how the Pioneer candy coats Ecolabs decision.

The facts are, Ecolab was offerd a 25% reduction on its 5 year lease. Ecolab also demanded that the lease have a clause in it that would give them the right to brake the lease if the City raises fees like:Police,Fire,Code compliance & skyway access
Fees.

The City of St Paul was at the table and offerd reduced parking fees & Free Metro transit (Car Pooling) to all of the Ecolab employees.

It would cost Ecolab close to 1 Million to move opperations elsewhere.

One more thing: The fact that Ecolab was even entertaining the idea of moving, should tell us something about doing business in St Paul!
Helpful

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Apr 1, 2011
downtowner wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really were a downtowner you'd be concerned how a potential loss of Ecolab would harm your real estate valuation. Given how clueless you are, I'd am more apt to believe you live in frogtown, where you do go downtown at night in fear of having to return to your own neighborhood after dark.

Since: Mar 11

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Apr 1, 2011
If Ecolab moved, they could take the building and turn it over to welfare tenants, like they've done with other buildings.
CLW

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Apr 1, 2011
I'm glad that they're staying - specifically because they booted all of the independent businesses/tenants out of the building on the left side of the picture to move in Ecolab. I'd hate to know that all the former tenants re-built their offices elsewhere 3 years ago on their own dime and without a single handout from the city for naught.
Tripe

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Apr 1, 2011
St Paul Delegation wrote:
Its nice how the Pioneer candy coats Ecolabs decision.
The facts are, Ecolab was offerd a 25% reduction on its 5 year lease. Ecolab also demanded that the lease have a clause in it that would give them the right to brake the lease if the City raises fees like:Police,Fire,Code compliance & skyway access
Fees.
The City of St Paul was at the table and offerd reduced parking fees & Free Metro transit (Car Pooling) to all of the Ecolab employees.
It would cost Ecolab close to 1 Million to move opperations elsewhere.
One more thing: The fact that Ecolab was even entertaining the idea of moving, should tell us something about doing business in St Paul!
I'd be more convinced as to your knowledge about commercial leases if you'd explained Ecolab could "break" the lease. Incidentally the city does not have police and fire "fees" and Ecolab owns no skyways.

You know nothing of this lease, and your post proves it.

Since: Dec 09

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 1, 2011
Great news! I always thought it was a long shot for Ecolab to leave. Certainly there is class A office space available in the 'burbs for what they're probably paying for that class B building their in now. But relocating, office build outs, etc would probably just wipe out any savings they'd see in rent savings. So it was a wise fiscal move to stay.

“Celebrate Liberty and Freedom”

Since: Sep 09

Mpls

#17 Apr 1, 2011
Saint Paul is a ghost town especially for employers
Really

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Apr 1, 2011
Citizen

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Apr 1, 2011
Great news. This continues the string of good economic news downtown (Cray, Microsoft, small companies moving down, etc.). Hopefully more will follow (Saints ballpark, Lawson etc.).
James

United States

#20 Apr 1, 2011
Too Funny wrote:
I'm guessing it's because the CEO has kids in school right now... once they hit college Ecolab will follow the trail to the Dakotas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Household Products Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News More jobs eyed for Arm & Hammer (May '10) Jul '16 beLOWthebelt 24
News Home Depot worker's 'America Was Never Great' h... Jul '16 InGodweTrust 29
Arrons a rip off and liers Jul '16 Cpulliam031561 1
News Home Depot: In A World of Hurt (Nov '07) Jul '16 Bill 236
News Lawsuits claims Aarons providing bed bug-infest... (Mar '12) Jun '16 Amanda Williams 129
News Texas Attorney General sues network marketing c... (Jul '07) Jun '16 Cynthia Gosney 5
News Can Medicine Boost Female Sex Drive? (Apr '07) Jun '16 Sarah 20
More from around the web