Home Depot to lay off about 7,000 emp...

Home Depot to lay off about 7,000 employees

There are 154 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jan 26, 2009, titled Home Depot to lay off about 7,000 employees. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

The Home Depot announced today it plans to lay off about 7,000 employees, or about 2 percent of its workforce, and shutter its Expo design centers, including six stores in the Southland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#3 Jan 26, 2009
TonyLovesLaRazaMOORE wrote:
I'll tell you one thing...I never stopped doing business at Home Depot because of a lack of money on my end or product availability on their end. I've been going to OSH for the simple reason that I don't get harassed by the dirty filthy MEXICANS. The last time I was at home depot one tried to hit me up for money to do painting...WHILE IM GETTING PAINT IN THE STORE. The truth is...Home Depot does not care to change a store policy that OSH has not tolerated from the beginning...People should not be harassed by illegal alien 3rd world parasites when entering a business establishment.
Ahhhhh the love and compassion out there, warms my heart!
Just My Opinion

Tujunga, CA

#5 Jan 26, 2009
I guess the folks in Tujunga/Sunland, Gruel's supporter are now happy. I am going to advocate that they build an affordable housing project on the prosposed site. Now that so many people are being laid off, they are going to need lowincome housing.
FED UP IN LA

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Jan 26, 2009
TonyLovesLaRazaMOORE wrote:
I'll tell you one thing...I never stopped doing business at Home Depot because of a lack of money on my end or product availability on their end. I've been going to OSH for the simple reason that I don't get harassed by the dirty filthy MEXICANS. The last time I was at home depot one tried to hit me up for money to do painting...WHILE IM GETTING PAINT IN THE STORE. The truth is...Home Depot does not care to change a store policy that OSH has not tolerated from the beginning...People should not be harassed by illegal alien 3rd world parasites when entering a business establishment.
Their latest thing is waiting for you to leave the store and then hit you up for money to help you load up your vehicle! They won't let you alone...the only Enlish they use is "Five Dollars, Five Dollars"! I won't go there anymore either!

Also, depending on the locations, contractors have to pay the security guard 5 bucks to watch their open bed trucks and tools while they go into the store! What a rip-off!
I smell a skunk

AOL

#7 Jan 26, 2009
FED UP IN LA wrote:
<quoted text>
Their latest thing is waiting for you to leave the store and then hit you up for money to help you load up your vehicle! They won't let you alone...the only Enlish they use is "Five Dollars, Five Dollars"! I won't go there anymore either!
Also, depending on the locations, contractors have to pay the security guard 5 bucks to watch their open bed trucks and tools while they go into the store! What a rip-off!
This only works until the illegals offer them $7 to help themselves

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#8 Jan 26, 2009
TonyLovesLaRazaMOORE wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually...If the opportunity presented itself...I would run one of these bastards over with my car and not think twice about it.
Funny never had that problem in the Hawthorne or the Torrance stores, Maybe it's just the area?

BTW bet you voted for McCain
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#10 Jan 26, 2009
Seeing that Home Depot seems to support illegal immigration by allowing throngs of them to hang out around them, I'd prefer that they simply go out of business.
MGV

Newhall, CA

#11 Jan 26, 2009
This sounds more like racial statement for one! And second it is not to blame anyone that is looking for work! How funny it is that everyone starts pointing out fingers at others but never see or undestand on why the economy is going down hill. Instead of pointing the finger on others, why dont you make a difference by helping or improving the way this country should be run.
flying vee

Gardena, CA

#12 Jan 26, 2009
manhattan_beach_dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny never had that problem in the Hawthorne or the Torrance stores, Maybe it's just the area?
BTW bet you voted for McCain
I never had that problem at the Marina Del Rey location, either! Naah, he voted for Palin, not McCain...
ROl

Paramount, CA

#13 Jan 26, 2009
This was going to happen bad cholo/chola service and bad attitudes from the brownies inside the stores and the cocroaches and rats outside the stores= hd.out of bu$$ine$$$$$$$$.LOEWS in Bu$$iNe$$$$$,OSH=Bu$$$ine$$$$. Pretty soon all the dombocrats politicians will be out too.
ExPate

Kula, HI

#14 Jan 26, 2009
I stopped shopping at Home Depot many years ago because of the reasons cited above, scary illegal alien men harrassing everyone in the parking lot, but more so because they replaced their knowledgeable staff with knownothings to save money. When I know more about plumbing than the "associate," you know it's all over for Home Depot! Adios, traitors.

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jan 26, 2009
TonyLovesLaRazaMOORE wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually...If the opportunity presented itself...I would run one of these bastards over with my car and not think twice about it.
Hey, they do it all the time! The majority, if not all, of hit and runs are committed by illegals. Must be a "cultural thing".
LAX2

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jan 26, 2009
Home Depot Expo stores are actually higher end than Home Depot, and those are the ones that they're talking about closing here. The patrons are not your "average Joes" and so there's no day laborer issues outside (at least not at the Westwood and Monrovia ones that I've been to). The Expo stores have nice fixtures and such but they're woefully overpriced, so I'm not surprised they are closing.

I drive out of my way to go to Lowe's instead of to the "regular" HD up the street from me, for the same reasons everyone else is mentioning.
david rothschild

Surfside, CA

#17 Jan 26, 2009
Isn't Home Depot the Store that has the illegal aliens jumping on trucks and yelling at customers.
Good ridiance to bad rubbish.

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#18 Jan 26, 2009
Bureaucratic Mess wrote:
Seeing that Home Depot seems to support illegal immigration by allowing throngs of them to hang out around them, I'd prefer that they simply go out of business.
are you aware that Home Depot has recourse here, I remember when Redondo Beach tried to run the day workers out, the ACLU filed suit and won, RB had to stop chasing them out.
Also new Home Depots were told they HAD to add covered areas within their boundries for Day labors to sit and wait to be hired?

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#19 Jan 26, 2009
LAX2 wrote:
Home Depot Expo stores are actually higher end than Home Depot, and those are the ones that they're talking about closing here. The patrons are not your "average Joes" and so there's no day laborer issues outside (at least not at the Westwood and Monrovia ones that I've been to). The Expo stores have nice fixtures and such but they're woefully overpriced, so I'm not surprised they are closing.
I drive out of my way to go to Lowe's instead of to the "regular" HD up the street from me, for the same reasons everyone else is mentioning.
High end ??? I went to buy a metal soap dish holder for a new shower.....$50 to 60 bucks, a wire soap dish holder!
LAX2

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Jan 26, 2009
manhattan_beach_dude wrote:
<quoted text>
High end ??? I went to buy a metal soap dish holder for a new shower.....$50 to 60 bucks, a wire soap dish holder!
That's what I'm saying, same stuff (or slightly better quality) as in the regular HD, but in a swankier setting so that they can charge outrageously more. You don't have to deal with the unwashed masses while you shop there, so maybe that's the trade-off.
Chrystal

Los Angeles, CA

#24 Jan 26, 2009
I used to live across from the HD on Roscoe near De Soto. Boy do I have stories I can tell!

I could not leave my a[pt. without the stupid mehekins screaming and shouting at me. Sometimes they'd throw beer cans. You'd see them at night, staggering around down the street absolutely blind drunk.

I called the cops one time when the messykins started their little third world, uneducated tirade against me.

The cops that showed explained that they couldn't do anything because they'd be called racist and the ACLU would sue.

Then, and this is a direct quote here from one of the officers: "These guys are nothing but a bunch of drunken scumbags!"

I have never shopped at HD because of that. The management always stood up for the dirty illegals. Thanks to previous posters letting me know that OSH is the place to shop. That's where I'll be going!
ExPate

Kula, HI

#25 Jan 26, 2009
anita wrote:
Hey, let the home depot go out of business that would help america get rid of the illegals for once.
If Home Depot goes under and Lowes thrives that will mean that illegal pandering didn't pay off. Sadly, if American PTB wanted to be rid of illegals, they wouldn't be here. I think we all know this, ACLU, notwithstanding.
ALL AMERICAN HAWK

Bountiful, UT

#29 Jan 26, 2009
I AGREE WHEN I WAS LIVING IN L.A. I WENT TO
LOWE'S OR OSH OR THE CALIFORNIA DO-IT CENTER
BECAUSE THERE WERE NO ILLEGAL ALIENS HANGING
AROUND.YOU DRIVE INTO HOME DEPOT AND THE ILLEGALS
DESCEND ON YOU LIKE COCKROACHES.HAVEN'T HAD THAT
PROBLEM WITH HOME DEPOT HERE IN UTAH--ILLEGALS
AREN'T ALLOWED TO LOITER IN THE PARKING LOT.

Since: Oct 08

Newburyport, MA

#30 Jan 26, 2009
manhattan_beach_dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhh the love and compassion out there, warms my heart!
I thought Home Depot in Cali was building affordable housing for day laborers......HD loves cheap labor

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Household Products Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Procter & Gamble takes on racism in new ad and ... Aug 12 13th Angel 28
News Lowe's in Trouble (Feb '12) Aug 11 Future former emp... 331
News 'Property Brothers' partner with Lowe's to offe... Aug 11 poop 16
News Quantum Capital Management Acquires 3,297 Share... Aug 6 Utah Guy 3
News Analyzing Home Depot, Inc. Jul 31 Get real 2
News Home Retailers Are Getting Crushed After Sears ... Jul 31 NAFTA eh 1
News Franklin Resources Inc. Sells 629,062 Shares of... Jul '17 Anonymous 4
More from around the web