New Study Shows Actonel Almost Halves The Risk Of Hip Fractures...

Full story: Medical News Today

Main Category: Bones / Orthopaedics News Article Date: 24 Nov 2006 - 3:00am printer friendly view or write opinions Data published from a retrospective study of over 33,000 postmenopausal women showed that ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Oct 19, 2012
Patty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2006

I just finished reading a report on these bone meds. I used to be on Fosamax but am not taking anything right now because I'm scared to death about who to believe. This report also listed Actonel as not being safe. Where is the truth and what can we do? anyone with real help pls mail me a greeneyzpatti@yahoo.com. thank you so much.
Irene

Sheffield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2007

I have been on Actonel for three years because I am on steroids for polymyalgia ,steroids cause the bones to thin, however I do get hip pain but thought this was due to my illness, I am now beginning to wonder and will ask my doctor next visit. We should be told these problems can occur.
Sue

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2007

Irene

I took actenol for three years, had terrible hip and knee pain. My last bone density test showed
MORE deterioration in the hip area. The dr could not explain this, so I told him NO MORE OSTEOPOROSIS DRUGS!! If he doesnt know the answer
why should we suffer at their lack of knowledge.
Good luck to you
Margaret

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2007

I have read so many of the conflicting arguments so thought I would would let everyone know that I have been taking Actonel for just over 4 years and have had no side effects. Yes I'm worried after reading the problems associated and will have another chat with Dr. But so far so good.
Joyce CT

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

Margaret wrote:
I have read so many of the conflicting arguments so thought I would would let everyone know that I have been taking Actonel for just over 4 years and have had no side effects. Yes I'm worried after reading the problems associated and will have another chat with Dr. But so far so good.
Yes, You didn't mention the effect of Actonel on your bones. Has the bone density improved and to what percentage over 4years? What is your age and activity level?
Anna Benoit

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2007

I was prescribed to take actenol but I haven't decided if I should take it or not. My spine is density reading is -2.9

Anybody here in this forum using any medications that helped improved their bone density?
Sue

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2007

Anna
I took Actenol for 3 long years and it made my
bones more brittle. My hip area deteroiated from a -2.7 to a -6. The dr couldnt explain it, but
after much research I have discoverd it may make
more bones, but they are MORE BRITTLE. I refuse to take any more of this junk. Good luck and good health
Anna Benoit

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2007

tnx sue for your response. i just have to do what i am doing now to improve my bone density. i run 3 times a week, do weight lifting 3 times a week, do my yoga exercises 5 to 6 times a week and walk everyday.

after my bone scan i felt dizzy and almost passed out. after a day i had pains in my lower back and had difficulty going to the bathroom i don't know if that was side effect from the x-ray machine. the pain in my back is easing out and i am almost normal going to the bathroom. i had my bone scan last sept.11, 2007

i have decided not to take the pill will see what will be the result of my next bone scan next year i keep everybody posted. by the way i am 52 years old and had full hysterectomy when i was 25 years old.

tnx again sue
Anna Benoit

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

Margaret wrote:
i would like to know what's your bone density reading before and after taking the actonel. how old are you? do you do physical exercises?

i will wait for your resonse tnx.
Jackie

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

I have been taking Actonel for about 4 years now without any problems. I am experiencing some minor jaw problems but my dentist has attributed it to TMJ. I was was very concerned when I had to have a toot extracted a couple of weeks ago so far the healing process is going very well. My last dexascan showed marked improvments in my hip bones.
Jackie

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2009

Sorry, I meant tooth not toot :)
Sharon

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Is Actonel better than fosamax?
Dave

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2011

So, like can we say that Actonel is way worse than Fosamax? Because I've read about the horrors of Fosamax here http://www.fosamaxfemurfracturelawsuit.com/fo... .
Aron

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2011

The study shows that with early fracture protection means that fewer patients will suffer the devastating consequences of osteoporotic fracture, helping to both preserve patient's quality of life and to reduce the economic burden of healthcare. http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com/recall
jayson

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2011

Lowering down the risk of developing hip fracture will also mean that the number of patients who might need hip replacement procedure will decrease. Reportedly, patients who received the all-metal hip implant have experienced hip replacement failure symptoms and needed revision or second surgery to correct the complications and get rid of the faulty device. http://www.hiprecalllaw.com/updates/depuy-hip...
Melissa

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2011

Well its great to see that are new drugs on the market to help with bone fractures. Many Fosamax lawsuit plaintiffs will be relived that their suffering may be coming to an end soon. See http://www.rotlaw.com/fosamax/
Nahla

Beirut, Lebanon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2012

I started on Actonel 1 1/2 month ago, endured twice a bladder infection, and felt all around not well, just decided to stop it yesterday, will do more exercise and eat better and hope for the best. I had a hip replacement 4 years ago and was diagnosted with osteoporosis lately.(age 60 years)
Areal G

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Actonel is just as hazardous as Fosamax because they both belong to the class of medications known as bisphosphonates. There is a long list of research on the pros and cons of bisphosphonates. http://www.fosamaxclassactionlawsuit.com/
Actonel

Bournemouth, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Actonel) ameritrustshield.com/products/actonel.htm... I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.
Ken

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Osteoporosis drugs have been long proven to work in reducing the risk of fractures, but it doesn't change the fact that side effects are still impending. Fosamax has also been proven to reduce the risk of fractures in patients, but has been linked to several controversies due to adverse effects. http://www.fosamaxinjurylawsuitcenter.com could be a good reference.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••