Infanta s death ruled a homicide

Infanta s death ruled a homicide

There are 31 comments on the Bennington Banner story from May 17, 2010, titled Infanta s death ruled a homicide. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Police now are calling the death of a 4-month-old infant, Ina McElheny, a homicide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marcellacruella

Burlington, VT

#1 May 18, 2010
I think the press should stop sensationalizing this story. that baby was loved and very well cared for. Her parents are kind and loving people and felt very blessed when she came into this world. Rest In Peace Ina.
Vermonter

Brighton, MA

#2 May 18, 2010
From what I've read, the Banner has not "sensationalized" this story at all. Rather, they have reported the facts, without any elaboration at all.

I think the important thing for everyone to keep in mind here is the importance of not jumping to conclusions before all the facts of this case are known.
Vermont transplant

Middlebury, VT

#3 May 18, 2010
As a reader of the Banner I haven't read anything that points a finger at anyone. Actually there hasn't been much as far as details for any kind of judgement to be made. The only thing we know for sure is that a 4month old baby has died and the cause is questionable. I am sure this has caused great sadness to the family involved.
my 2c

Woburn, MA

#4 May 18, 2010
As a mother of young children I know the trials of having an infant. It takes patience beyond belief and that patience is hard to have after being sleep-deprived. I'm a calm, educated, older parent and have faced those moments of insanity where I needed to leave the room and the baby crying- most parents have. What we need is a resource for those parents in those moments of need- a number to call where someone comes to help. Sounds silly but it would work- I bet there are many caring adults who would love to volenteer for such a position. I often thought that this type of service was needed to help moms/dads cope and to lesson child abuse, shaken baby syndrome, and SIDS. I'm not saying that this is the case in this case-but this article brought this idea to the forefront of my mind again.
patriot

United States

#5 May 18, 2010
The state police said the baby died of internal injuries, per an autopsy that would have been performed in their presence. They told the reporter what was determined during the autopsy. There the matter stands until the parents, and any potential witnesses, including the first responders, are interviewed. The question for a reporter to ask here was whether the residence was searched, and any items removed as a result.
agree

Worcester, VT

#7 May 18, 2010
my 2c wrote:
As a mother of young children I know the trials of having an infant. It takes patience beyond belief and that patience is hard to have after being sleep-deprived. I'm a calm, educated, older parent and have faced those moments of insanity where I needed to leave the room and the baby crying- most parents have. What we need is a resource for those parents in those moments of need- a number to call where someone comes to help. Sounds silly but it would work- I bet there are many caring adults who would love to volenteer for such a position. I often thought that this type of service was needed to help moms/dads cope and to lesson child abuse, shaken baby syndrome, and SIDS. I'm not saying that this is the case in this case-but this article brought this idea to the forefront of my mind again.
I too am a mother with a young child! I am an educated medical professional and still had a couple moments where I placed my daughter safely in the crib and exited the room for a few minutes to re-group. Any parent that says they haven't had to do that is lying or not human. I often tell parents with young infants if things get unbearable and you think you are on the verge of hurting your infant place the infant in the crib and call 911. One might say this is abuse of the system. However, as a volunteer EMT in a small town I would praise any parent that called me out of bed and away from my family at 3am because they didn't know what else to do. If it would save an innocent infants life it would be worth it.

I am not going to draw any conclusions in this case. We know very little. The banner isn't pointing fingers it is merely publishing what has been given to them. It is a fact that if a young child dies the parents are guaranteed to be questioned repeatedly by law enforcement. The first post on this forum stated they were kind and loving and I am happy to hear that. Nobody is blaming them at this point. Let the legal system and the evidence be the voice this innocent infant didn't have.
Nana Says

Grand Isle, VT

#8 May 18, 2010
It may not have been either parent who hurt this baby. There are many other things - like a neighbor sick of hearing a baby cry? A large dog jumping on the baby? A babysitter?
From what I hear around town - it's like the couple in Arlington who's baby died a couple weeks ago from shaken baby - they were loving having thier baby. And loved the baby so much?
Either way - I feel sorry for both parents.
Geeze Louise

Williamstown, MA

#9 May 18, 2010
Nana Says wrote:
It may not have been either parent who hurt this baby. There are many other things - like a neighbor sick of hearing a baby cry? A large dog jumping on the baby? A babysitter?
From what I hear around town - it's like the couple in Arlington who's baby died a couple weeks ago from shaken baby - they were loving having thier baby. And loved the baby so much?
Either way - I feel sorry for both parents.
Yeh, and the dog ate my homework. No blame yet, but the vultures are circling.
Minneka

Brookline, MA

#10 May 18, 2010
Melinda and Joe, our prayers go out for you....the people that know you the best, know that you are loving parents and would never to do anything to hurt Ina.. We know..

“279ing my way around Benmont”

Since: Nov 08

not here

#11 May 18, 2010
none of the other media are saying much about this case yet either. let's let the cops do their jobs, THEN we'll lynch somebody.
Steven

Bellows Falls, VT

#15 May 18, 2010
agree wrote:
<quoted text>
I too am a mother with a young child! I am an educated medical professional and still had a couple moments where I placed my daughter safely in the crib and exited the room for a few minutes to re-group. Any parent that says they haven't had to do that is lying or not human. I often tell parents with young infants if things get unbearable and you think you are on the verge of hurting your infant place the infant in the crib and call 911. One might say this is abuse of the system. However, as a volunteer EMT in a small town I would praise any parent that called me out of bed and away from my family at 3am because they didn't know what else to do. If it would save an innocent infants life it would be worth it.
I am not going to draw any conclusions in this case. We know very little. The banner isn't pointing fingers it is merely publishing what has been given to them. It is a fact that if a young child dies the parents are guaranteed to be questioned repeatedly by law enforcement. The first post on this forum stated they were kind and loving and I am happy to hear that. Nobody is blaming them at this point. Let the legal system and the evidence be the voice this innocent infant didn't have.
As an educated medical professional your opinion or thoughts on medical situations or conditions that could cause a baby's heart and or lungs to stop functioning properly would be appreciated. Could something like SIDS have been the initial cause and the internal injuries were an effect of life saving measures? Thanks
where

South Hadley, MA

#16 May 18, 2010
this is no place to cast blame or make punctuation and grammar corrections.

we need to start asking why forums and posts come and go on this subject.

don't start looking for reasons or excuses just yet. there will be plenty of time for that after the police release more info.
Steven

Bellows Falls, VT

#17 May 18, 2010
patriot wrote:
The state police said the baby died of internal injuries, per an autopsy that would have been performed in their presence. They told the reporter what was determined during the autopsy. There the matter stands until the parents, and any potential witnesses, including the first responders, are interviewed. The question for a reporter to ask here was whether the residence was searched, and any items removed as a result.

Autopsies are not performed in the presence of the police but rather by the medical examiners office which gives a report to the police. These initial reports in all likelyhood came from the hospital records and do not include the same information as an autopsy. Since the autopsy report has yet to be completed by the ME (this isn't Law&Order) let alone given to the police, the real question for a patriot would be why is it being discussed through back channels with the media and as the parents are innocent, let alone have not been charged with any wrong doing, until proven guilty don't you think a search of the house is a little premature? Also, what's to say the house wasn't searched, nothing was found, that information was conveyed to the media by an 'unnamed source close to the investigation,' but wasn't sexy enough to report?
Steven

Bellows Falls, VT

#18 May 18, 2010
where wrote:
this is no place to cast blame or make punctuation and grammar corrections.
we need to start asking why forums and posts come and go on this subject.
don't start looking for reasons or excuses just yet. there will be plenty of time for that after the police release more info.
Perhaps people removed their posts after having considered all the possibilities and felt badly about jumping to the worst possible conclusion.
I think everyone is looking for 'reasons' and I'm not making 'excuses' but rather suggesting there are more possibilities than an act of malice.
Agree

Lisbon Falls, ME

#21 May 18, 2010
SIDS...This idea that healthy infants under the age of 1 die for no apparent reason. Clearly there is a reason we just can't find it. Brain, heart, lungs etc look healthy during autopsy. I once attended a lecture regarding SIDS. It was believed that SIDS was just a blanket term used when the ME couldn't find an explanation for the death. Parents feel better when they have a "reason" for the death of their infant. However, SIDS isn't really a cause! Infants that die from "SIDS" die for some reason. Heart/Lung/Brain abnormality. I am not an expert on SIDS and will not pretend to be one. They are doing research everyday to try and understand why healthy appearing infants are suddenly found deceased in their cribs/beds/bassinets etc! Everyday new recommendations or ideas are presented and it is impossible to stay up to date.

I can't even speculate if the injuries were caused by life saving attempts because I don't know what the injuries were. We all know CPR is relatively forceful. Who knows! What were the circumstances surrounding the death? Was the infant sleeping? Feeding? Crying? In the crib? On the floor? In the swing? What were the injuries? Were there signs of old injuries such as healing rib fractures? Broken Bones? And the list goes on and on...

I do feel for these parents. I can't imagine losing an infant. I am not going to jump to conclusions until the facts come out. We all know strange things happen. Rare medical conditions exist. Time will tell.
mee

Bennington, VT

#22 May 18, 2010
I was actually surprised to see how nice these comments are. I know both the mom and dad in this situation and I have visited some of the news sites where the comments were mean and already had these two as child abusers. Thanks to everyone on here for not jumping to conclusions! These parents have been through the worse thing they will ever face in their lives. Right now they just need to stay strong for each other as the grieve the loss of their baby girl. Natalie
sillygirl45

Bennington, VT

#23 May 18, 2010
this is a shame. What the hell is wrong with someone that hurts a defenseless baby.
inamemorial

Argyle, NY

#24 May 18, 2010
Marcellacruella

Burlington, VT

#25 May 18, 2010
In loving memory of Ina Jane ...
Marcellacruella

Burlington, VT

#26 May 18, 2010
Again I'd like to reiterate that Ina was loved more than any baby could be loved. Don't jump to conclusions...just pray for the parents for the strength to get through this horrible time. Pray that the memory of Ina lives on through the memories of those whose lives she touched. RIP Baby Girl!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Healthcare Industry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police ID couple in Knightdale shooting (Jul '12) Sep 22 Yaboi 6
News Senator Praises - Generous' Daughter Who Raised... Sep 21 coyote505 2
News Childhood Cancer Targeted By Sanger Institute A... Sep 19 Stephany McDowell 1
News Billionaire rescues Michigan city with cash to ... Sep 19 Rick 1
News LifeBridge Health Names Joe Quinn as Chief Huma... Sep 17 Pavlos55 1
News Despite $19 million salary, Mylan CEO failed to... Sep 15 Benny 1
News NantWorks deal looks dead Sep 15 Duke defender 1
More from around the web