Feds charge Winn-Dixie with selling u...

Feds charge Winn-Dixie with selling undersized lobsters

There are 58 comments on the Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 27, 2006, titled Feds charge Winn-Dixie with selling undersized lobsters. In it, Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Federal prosecutors charged Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. Thursday with illegally selling undersized spiny lobster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sun-Sentinel.

michael

Louisville, KY

#25 Oct 10, 2006
I worked for Winn Dixie for 35 years. GOOD RIDENCE
BIG BUBBA

AOL

#26 Oct 10, 2006
KENTUKY BOY WHO CARES
American

AOL

#27 Oct 11, 2006
Winn Dixie is one of the most discriminating stores in Florida. The supervisors are inadeqoute and the leadership exceptionally lacking.

I know, I was management and quit when asked to run off a certain race as a requirement by a supervisor supported by their Heads of Security who thought it fine.

Winn Dixie fell because it was more interested in providing supers with golfing trips and perks than running a business. As far as making a change, don't count on it. They were notorious for destroying small business that would not give them kickbacks on deals on products ran on sale.

It was their way or no way. Well, suppliers got tired of it as I knew they would.

Now, they can dig themselves out of where they put themselves.
American

AOL

#28 Oct 11, 2006
I don't want to break your bubble, but almost all the retailers do this now. It is simple to do with the new computer systems in place. You just go into the pc and whack off the hours.
I caught two of my managers at two differant retailers doing it.
Florida do something about it? Don't count on it.
We had one woman file for Family Medical Leave Act when she and her daughter were subpeoned for a rape trial and the daughter attempted suicide. What did Florida do under Bush?
Nothing. Then the state went after her for reporting it.
Florida complains about high medicaid and social services but wont admit they are the reason so many get unemployed by violations of labor laws they permit and promote.
In most cases of hour thefts the individuals are low income to start with and can barely feed their children. The constant fear of loosing employment and starving the children prevent them from speaking up.
Again, almost every retailer in Florida now swipes hours from employees.
dee wrote:
have heard from several sources managers in florida winn dixies have employees work some hours,and then put them in for less at payroll time,consistantly gyping thier workers out of many hours
SUSAN MIAMI FL

AOL

#29 Oct 23, 2006
HOW MANY PUBLIX DO YOU SEE IN PREDOMINANTLY BLACK NEIGHBOURHOOD???
SUSAN MIAMI FL

AOL

#30 Oct 23, 2006
THAT SAY'S ALOT OF WHAT PUBLIX STANDS FOR.
doughboy

Lake Mary, FL

#31 Oct 23, 2006
Will wrote:
Sure Publix. Where shopping is a pleasure. What happened to the first class service that Publix claims they have. What happened, Publix had to join the same job pool as Winn-Dixie and others do? I went into a Publix store yesterday and was never greeted ONCE by any associate in the store. There was no stock clerk on the sales floor, except the guy packing out dairy products, who didn't greet me. The lines were 5 deep, and noone bothered opening a new register, yet there were two people behind the service desk. I came in for one simple thing and had to wait 20 minutes on the express lane, because the cashier is carrying on a conversation with the customer. The store manager on duty was nowhere to be found on the sales floor, probably hiding in his office. Winn-Dixie may not be the greatest of supermarkets, but at least they are trying to improve our relations and service to the customer. Stores like Wal-Mart and Publix think they don't need to change their service with the times. Well, customers are different today than in 1950 people. You need to change with the times. Winn-Dixie welcomes those who use WIC or foodstamps, or are living on a budget to shop in our stores. We know you are the ones who make this country run. Stores like Publix though take WIC and food stamps keep their prices high, so those who live on a budget don't shop in their stores. That to me is a form of discrimination. How many minorities and women are on executive or managerial positions in Publix and Wal-Mart? Pubix closes at 9pm everyday for a reason. Thats when the Hispanic community goes shopping. Good way to keep them out of your stores. If you don't make over 50K a year, Publix doesn't want you, simple and true. Give Winn-Dixie a chance, you may be surprised by the results.
I have to disagree with you on your winn dixie/publix comparison. I am in grocery stores every day(as a vendor) and shop at both a W/D and a publix. I would have to say hands down that publix is cheaper than W/D. Winn Dixie has their "card" which gives you deals on limited items,all the while overcharging on most of their items. I also think the publix employee is better trained than the winn dixie employee. Publix is a much better grocery store than winn dixie, and their market share shows that.
George

Gainesville, FL

#32 Nov 20, 2006
Publix has supermarkets all over the states that they run in. Where ever there is room and a market to support a store, they put a store in. To say that Publix avoids ethnic markets is simply misleading and without base. They have started Publix Sabor, a hispanic market, to cater to that ethnic group and also stay open til 9 or 10 based on sales that come in the door, not on when certain groups go shopping. Unlike other chains, Publix is not 24/7 because they realize it is not a sound business decision and all together unsafe.
Jerseydevil1965

Bradenton, FL

#33 Nov 25, 2006
doughboy wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree with you on your winn dixie/publix comparison. I am in grocery stores every day(as a vendor) and shop at both a W/D and a publix. I would have to say hands down that publix is cheaper than W/D. Winn Dixie has their "card" which gives you deals on limited items,all the while overcharging on most of their items. I also think the publix employee is better trained than the winn dixie employee. Publix is a much better grocery store than winn dixie, and their market share shows that.
I think the playing of the race card is a shameful way to act. Everybody who is here legally has had the same opportunities for education as everyone else. I shop at all stores, depending on sales. i find that publix is for the most part cheaper and friendlier than Winn Dixie ever was. I has first hand witnessed a cashier at Winn Dixie pass a large piece of meat around a scanner so it wasnt scanned to a member of their own race.SHAME!!! then it was all apsi for with the all inclusive food stamp card. the shopper dripping with gold jewerly and I witnessed then get into a brand new car and drive away, much nicer than the car I drive. I work hard everyday for my money, but Winn Dixie's loss of revenue is at the hand of theiving cashiers and their frinds and realitives. I would rather shop at Publix, where a friendly smile and good service is not restricetd to the color of your skin.
Justin

Clearwater, FL

#34 Nov 28, 2006
In response to Will On Oct 4 2006. Your claims about Publix's service are obsurd. You can't even compare the service of Publix and Winn Dixie. Your remark that Publix does not cater to the hispanic market is ridiculous. Have you heard of Publix Sabor. A spanish style grocery store that has spanish speaking associates and spanish products?
Do you work for Winn Dixie
Revtim

Miami, FL

#35 Nov 30, 2006
Clinton Beckwith wrote:
With all that is gong on in this nation and the problems we have with our southern boarder to think that you would spend tax dollars and time on something like this and charge a company that is trying to pull out of trouble which still employes several hundred in 500 out of 2000 stores doesn't speak to well of our justice system or the commen sence of our officals.
So when a company isn't doing well it's OK to break the law and screw the public? This is profoundly stupid.
Chad

Orange Park, FL

#36 Nov 30, 2006
WIll, you are a fucking idiot! Why does everything have to come down to discrimination. Yes there are times that it happens, and that is wrong. However, having your prices a little higher because it costs money to provide a better service is not one of them or closing at 9pm because the little revenue that is made does not cover the payroll or electric bill. You brought up Walmart too. They are open 24 hours, they must love Hispanics......Jackass
Will wrote:
Sure Publix. Where shopping is a pleasure. What happened to the first class service that Publix claims they have. What happened, Publix had to join the same job pool as Winn-Dixie and others do? I went into a Publix store yesterday and was never greeted ONCE by any associate in the store. There was no stock clerk on the sales floor, except the guy packing out dairy products, who didn't greet me. The lines were 5 deep, and noone bothered opening a new register, yet there were two people behind the service desk. I came in for one simple thing and had to wait 20 minutes on the express lane, because the cashier is carrying on a conversation with the customer. The store manager on duty was nowhere to be found on the sales floor, probably hiding in his office. Winn-Dixie may not be the greatest of supermarkets, but at least they are trying to improve our relations and service to the customer. Stores like Wal-Mart and Publix think they don't need to change their service with the times. Well, customers are different today than in 1950 people. You need to change with the times. Winn-Dixie welcomes those who use WIC or foodstamps, or are living on a budget to shop in our stores. We know you are the ones who make this country run. Stores like Publix though take WIC and food stamps keep their prices high, so those who live on a budget don't shop in their stores. That to me is a form of discrimination. How many minorities and women are on executive or managerial positions in Publix and Wal-Mart? Pubix closes at 9pm everyday for a reason. Thats when the Hispanic community goes shopping. Good way to keep them out of your stores. If you don't make over 50K a year, Publix doesn't want you, simple and true. Give Winn-Dixie a chance, you may be surprised by the results.
james newton

Prattville, AL

#37 Jan 8, 2007
doughboy wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree with you on your winn dixie/publix comparison. I am in grocery stores every day(as a vendor) and shop at both a W/D and a publix. I would have to say hands down that publix is cheaper than W/D. Winn Dixie has their "card" which gives you deals on limited items,all the while overcharging on most of their items. I also think the publix employee is better trained than the winn dixie employee. Publix is a much better grocery store than winn dixie, and their market share shows that.
Get a Life
GingE

Apopka, FL

#38 Jan 8, 2007
You're funny Will, you must have been employee of the month at Winn-Dixie for how many months now???
Look, even people on WIC & food stamps deserve to have weevil free dry goods and normal colored meat and in-date canned goods. "bugna nny" was not the only one to have those experiences at your Winn DIxie, sorry, they don't get a second chance after that.
And just so ya know, Publix doesn't close at 9pm to avoid the hispanics, it just has not changed their hours to adjust for the growing hispanic population. I don't think thats really a crime.
lauren

Miami, FL

#39 Jan 10, 2007
SUSAN MIAMI FL wrote:
HOW MANY PUBLIX DO YOU SEE IN PREDOMINANTLY BLACK NEIGHBOURHOOD???
wow yhats discrimination all right but it sno reason for u to say it that way just cuz deres not a publix in a black neighborhood
lauren

Miami, FL

#40 Jan 10, 2007
American wrote:
Winn Dixie is one of the most discriminating stores in Florida. The supervisors are inadeqoute and the leadership exceptionally lacking.
I know, I was management and quit when asked to run off a certain race as a requirement by a supervisor supported by their Heads of Security who thought it fine.
Winn Dixie fell because it was more interested in providing supers with golfing trips and perks than running a business. As far as making a change, don't count on it. They were notorious for destroying small business that would not give them kickbacks on deals on products ran on sale.
It was their way or no way. Well, suppliers got tired of it as I knew they would.
Now, they can dig themselves out of where they put themselves.
how can u say that those people r nice n u ruened them would u like it if they did that to ur buisness
armac

Pharr, TX

#41 Jan 10, 2007
I worked for WD for 15 years, a lot in management. The day I left WD was the smartest move I have ever made, I wish I had done it 14 years earlier.
That is from experience..........WD sucks
Khari

Orlando, FL

#42 Jan 10, 2007
ight i used to work at winn dixie and with the things i saw there i would never shop there and the price of some of the stuff is like whoa walmart is way cheaper i've seen more customers come in and complain about meat then complain aobut nething else since i was an employ this doesnt surprise me at all i'd much rather go to walmart any day so if everyone stops shoppin at winn dixie then mayb that damn store will close down like it shoulda been closed when they had financial problems

“Innovator”

Since: Jan 07

Jacksonville, Florida

#43 Jan 12, 2007
maybe we should sick the lobsters on the illegals? lol
wow

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#44 Feb 13, 2007
and i thought i didnt have a life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Whole Foods Faces FTC Mislabeling Investigation... Jun 25 Stebo 2
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) Jun 24 will 1,212
shopping cart repair and maintenance May '15 caremnt 1
News OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... (Nov '14) May '15 Dude 6
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver May '15 Victor 2
News A spa and grocer in one (Jan '07) May '15 holmes 2
News Four N.C.-based supermarket chains rank among n... Apr '15 wittlecher 1
More from around the web