Feds charge Winn-Dixie with selling undersized lobsters

Full story: Sun-Sentinel

Federal prosecutors charged Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. Thursday with illegally selling undersized spiny lobster.
Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Apr 8, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Clinton Beckwith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2006

With all that is gong on in this nation and the problems we have with our southern boarder to think that you would spend tax dollars and time on something like this and charge a company that is trying to pull out of trouble which still employes several hundred in 500 out of 2000 stores doesn't speak to well of our justice system or the commen sence of our officals.
sam

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2006

The Feds need to be more intrested in the MURDERS AND CORRUPTION GOING ON IN BAY COUNTY!

Since: Apr 06

Hallandale Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2006

So because they employ a lot of people that makes other illegal activities they endorse and actually do okay? Get your head on straight.
Clinton Beckwith wrote:
With all that is gong on in this nation and the problems we have with our southern boarder to think that you would spend tax dollars and time on something like this and charge a company that is trying to pull out of trouble which still employes several hundred in 500 out of 2000 stores doesn't speak to well of our justice system or the commen sence of our officals.
Marsha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2006

It's the American way,kick um when their up,kick um when their down!!!
Hoopdad

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2006

When in the last 25 years were they ever UP and when will they be more than the bottom feaders that they are? I guarentee that they are not even around in 10 years.....sold off in pieces or closed for good after another bankrupcy, IF they EVER get out of this one!!
Surfereal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2006

Lobsters have feelings too. If ya can't be legit in the small things, how can we trust them with the big things!
David Jones

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2006

Well Let me guess it is ok for the Illegal Imgrimits To work in bay county But when winn-dixie Does something wrong there all over them. what a bunch of bull s**t

Hallandale Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2006

Two wrongs don't make a right.
The illegals need to be deported ASAP.
And winn-dixie needs to be accountable for their sales.
Why must the two be exlusively one or the other?
David Jones wrote:
Well Let me guess it is ok for the Illegal Imgrimits To work in bay county But when winn-dixie Does something wrong there all over them. what a bunch of bull s**t
craig

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2006

bugnanny wrote:
I know that Winn Dixie has been struggling with their finances lately but there are more problems than undersized lobsters. My experience with them has been a nightmare also. I have this habit of being a shopaholic and Winn Dixie is a store I shop at locally as to not battle the traffic. I stock pile in case of hurricaines, dirty bombs, etc. and I had to throw away at least a thousand dollars worth of dry goods not long ago. Why??????? Because Winn Dixie has not sprayed their warehouses like they should and I brough home weevils. The weevils came from Winn Dixie's warehouse because the man that sprayed my house told me he had a similar problem with a nursing home that had to very same problem. They have taught me not to buy anything in dry goods just canned foods or good bye food and hello dumpster. I went back to the store last week to obtain flour for a recipe and guess what the flour had? Right, weevils. Right from the store and to my counter. I also obtained outdated ruby red grapefruit juice, it was outdated by 8 months. I got a feeling my husband will make me quit shopping there all together. Cutting corners at their warehouse can be costly to the consumer, this would never happen at Publix.
Right on! Publics rocks. I quit going to Winn Dixie About 2 yrs. ago after I bought a couple of steaks for me and my wifes anniversary. I opened them up when it was time to grill and on the underside the meat was dark brown. I didn't return them, I just quit shopping there. I've never had a problem with Publics. Great Store!

Hallandale Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2006

Publix is truly where "shopping is a pleasure!"
dee

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2006

have heard from several sources managers in florida winn dixies have employees work some hours,and then put them in for less at payroll time,consistantly gyping thier workers out of many hours
Sharon

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2006

dee wrote:
have heard from several sources managers in florida winn dixies have employees work some hours,and then put them in for less at payroll time,consistantly gyping thier workers out of many hours
Several in our area went out of business..Strange too, they were always busy?
red dog

Painter, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2006

Sharon wrote:
<quoted text>
Several in our area went out of business..Strange too, they were always busy?
Winn dixie has been a thing of the past in virginia(tidewater area) since the early 90's. Thank goodness!!!!!!!
Sharon

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2006

red dog wrote:
<quoted text>Winn dixie has been a thing of the past in virginia(tidewater area) since the early 90's. Thank goodness!!!!!!!
At one time in our area they had the best Black Angus steaks..then, that went bad....they were notorious on sale items not in the computer, as Wal-Mart..

Hallandale Beach

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2006

Each time I go to Publix it is very clean, there are many more selections... I don't mind paying a little bit more to enjoy my shopping experience in a clean store with more variety.
JimSneak wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is but did you know that is why you pay premium prices there? Publix is the highest priced grocery store chain in Florida and surroundin' states.
It stands to reason that Wal-Mart & Winn-Dixie still have a heap to learn.
Especially in their respective meat departments as compared with Publix "premium" meats...
Posted By: JimSneak,(BuzzC)~ Columbia County, Florida USA
~ BuzzC's Spot ~
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-buzzcareysinf...
Hoopdad

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2006

In the Tampa Bay area, Publix has the overall best prices. Sure anyone can go in and find cheaper items in another store, Or find some outragious buy 1 get 2 free on the lowest grade Poultry or Vegs on the market, or fill out for a preferred card to save only if you have it on you and have your personal information sold to marketers, to save a few more cents on a few items, but if you want consistant value and quality day in and day out, Publix is the only store worth shopping!!!Also, take into consideration the current state of the 3 chains who compete with Publix in Florida.....Winn Dixie- Bankrupcy and closed half their stores in the last 10 years, Albertsons- sold to a Real estate investment company to be sold piece by piece for the land value, Kash-n-Karry- Owned by food lion who as we all remember soaked fish in bleach and sold out of date meat to customers, is now trying to make people believe that changing the name to Sweetbay makes the company different. Watch any of the Sweatbay stores when they open. They are newly remodeled or newly built, with nice fresh product and lots of associates. Then check back in three months and find variety reduced, no help, close dated product in meat and vegetables looking old and withered.
Now look at Publix, 75 years of consistantly clean well stocked stores, full of associates at every turn giving great service! 10 years ago they had 350 stores and now they are at 880. You can't do that without taking care of the customer!
catman
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2006

size does matter!!!!!!!!!!
the feds

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2006

i wish the feds would put this much effort in getting rid of the illegal size illegals in florida
mike

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2006

publix sux
Will

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2006

Sure Publix. Where shopping is a pleasure. What happened to the first class service that Publix claims they have. What happened, Publix had to join the same job pool as Winn-Dixie and others do? I went into a Publix store yesterday and was never greeted ONCE by any associate in the store. There was no stock clerk on the sales floor, except the guy packing out dairy products, who didn't greet me. The lines were 5 deep, and noone bothered opening a new register, yet there were two people behind the service desk. I came in for one simple thing and had to wait 20 minutes on the express lane, because the cashier is carrying on a conversation with the customer. The store manager on duty was nowhere to be found on the sales floor, probably hiding in his office. Winn-Dixie may not be the greatest of supermarkets, but at least they are trying to improve our relations and service to the customer. Stores like Wal-Mart and Publix think they don't need to change their service with the times. Well, customers are different today than in 1950 people. You need to change with the times. Winn-Dixie welcomes those who use WIC or foodstamps, or are living on a budget to shop in our stores. We know you are the ones who make this country run. Stores like Publix though take WIC and food stamps keep their prices high, so those who live on a budget don't shop in their stores. That to me is a form of discrimination. How many minorities and women are on executive or managerial positions in Publix and Wal-Mart? Pubix closes at 9pm everyday for a reason. Thats when the Hispanic community goes shopping. Good way to keep them out of your stores. If you don't make over 50K a year, Publix doesn't want you, simple and true. Give Winn-Dixie a chance, you may be surprised by the results.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kroger Buying Shaw's? (Apr '10) Thu BarbaraW 1,196
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Aug 19 Star On 47 90
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Aug 19 Bubbletoes 3
Meijer donates $500,000 to American Red Cross a... Aug 7 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 1
Oakville Museum Hosts Emancipation Day Family P... Aug 4 today in Halton 1
Belleville shopper charged with sticking needle... Aug 4 The Decline Of St... 1
Tinley Park Jewel-Osco Salmonella Test Results ... Jul 24 concerned citizen 1

Search the Grocery Forum:
•••