Kroger Buying Shaw's?
gameboy

Andover, MA

#163 Jan 5, 2011
I still remember when Shaws bought Star Market back in 1999.No one liked it but some adjusted to Shaws ways and others did not.Star people were always the outsiders but let me tell you that we were much better managers than Shaws because we were always taught to run the business like we owned it.I think the real falling off the map of Shaws began when Albertsons took over in 2004.We have seen the merchandising change numerous times but no one has a clue what to do.I remember when I took a lot of pride in the merchandising of my grocery department,but now nobody cares what the stores look like.I think Shaws stores are the laughing stock of the supermarket business.A friend of mine (stop and shop exec) once told me that they love Shaws because they do everthing the wrong way.
Tim

Danvers, MA

#164 Jan 6, 2011
Thats funny Gameboy because Star workers are the worst I have ever seen. You can work in any store and know who is fron Shaws and who is from Star. Also Shaws standard fell dramatically once Star was incorporated. You may have been the outsiders but you were sold for a reason and it wasnt because it was a good operation. Unfortunatly Shaws became more like Star. I dont blame Star but it was not a good thing to buy them.
gameboy

Andover, MA

#165 Jan 6, 2011
Obviously your a Shaws Guy and I am a Star Guy.
Whatever. We are entitled to our opinions but the future is not to bright for us as we already know.
robert

Blackstone, MA

#166 Jan 6, 2011
I'm a shaws guy with over 20years. Doesn't matter now whether your a shaws or star guy now, we're both in a sinking ship. With the highest bid so far being $600 million for this titanic.
Right now if I worked in a store that wasn't as busy as it was when Sainsbury owned us and where the lease is up soon I'd be worried.
Some companies are willing to buy parts (stores in the city and some suburban ones that are busy) but Supervalu won't sell just those (well not unless your willing to overpay for them) knowing that no one will want the other stores for what they are worth.
will

Portland, ME

#167 Jan 6, 2011
What I don't quite understand is, why did Sainsbury continue the Star Market banner? Was it a store size issue? Also, did Shaw's discontinue the Star franchising program or did that happen beforehand? In retrospect was it a good or bad idea to re-banner the Wild Harvest stores in your opinion? Would it have been a fool's errand to try and go up against Whole Foods? I see that Supervalu adopted the Wild Harvest name at all of its banners for its organic line; did that originate with Albertsons or Sainsbury or was it more recent? I agree that there's no point in laying blame between Shaw's or Star workers at this point; we're all in the same boat now. Let's just hope the closing stores are quickly snapped up by competitors. But who's buying? Big Y? ShopRite/PriceRite? Stop & Shop?
will

Portland, ME

#168 Jan 6, 2011
Boston Globe: Shaw's won't say how many workers store closings will affect. I can't imagine Supervalu shifting many workers to other stores considering their emphasis on cutting labor costs to the bone.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/...
Tim

Danvers, MA

#169 Jan 6, 2011
Very true Gameboy! Robert, from what I hear Supervalu will sell the city stores and close the rest. No one wants to buy the whole Shaws banner and they cant leave things status quo. As prices keep going higher and customer service continues to get worse the stores will be even slower. Look for East Gloucester and maybe Salem Ma and Peabody to be next.
will

Portland, ME

#170 Jan 6, 2011
Tim, that's what the analyst I referenced in #151 said, too; the strongest Boston metro stores will stay and the peripheral stores will be closed or sold off. The only difference is the analyst says that whoever buys Shaw's will perform that radical restructuring, not Supervalu. I tend to agree that it would be easier for a buyer to do this.

http://www.glgroup.com/News/Whats-Next-for-Sh...
will

Portland, ME

#171 Jan 6, 2011
Supervalu offering corporate employees unpaid time off

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/98371/2011010... #
Tim

Danvers, MA

#172 Jan 6, 2011
Funny Will, I read about the unpaid time off but no one is talking about it in the stores. The few people I know in other stores have told me the same thing. I thought management would jump on it!
gameboy

Andover, MA

#173 Jan 6, 2011
Will,Star Market had the Boston area penetration that Shaws never had.The Star Market banner was highly regarded. A lot of people did not want the Shaws name for whatever reasons.If you look at the company now,The city market area(Shaws Best Stores)
are all former STAR MARKETS.Some went to the Shaws name for some time, but went back to the Star badge.Coincidence?????The Chestnut Hill Store opened last year as a Star Market not a Shaws!!!
will

Portland, ME

#174 Jan 6, 2011
Supervalu settles discrimintion lawsuit

http://www.suntimes.com/business/3172740-418/...
will

Portland, ME

#175 Jan 6, 2011
will

Portland, ME

#176 Jan 7, 2011
Whoever buys out Shaw's has quite a task ahead of them if these comments are any indication:

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/articles/20...

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#177 Jan 7, 2011
will wrote:
Whoever buys out Shaw's has quite a task ahead of them if these comments are any indication:
http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/articles/20...
Watch for Stop & Shop and C&S to divi it up ,Ahold USA is sitting on a big lump of cash and looking to aquire stores.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#178 Jan 7, 2011
Yes I realize Ahold owned Shaw's before but they would only aquire a handful of stores.

Since: Jan 11

Danvers, MA

#179 Jan 7, 2011
The city stores are nothing to do with the "star market" name. There is no competition in the city, no Market Baskets. Thats why they are profitable. I can see you miss your old star market gameboy but it was wasnt very well run when shaws bought it. Most of the stores were dumps. Until Supervalu bought us Shaws was a solid chain (number 2 in the region) behind Market Basket.
Frank

Frisco, TX

#180 Jan 7, 2011
Ahold never owned Shaws.
will

Portland, ME

#181 Jan 7, 2011
What do you expect, it's Giantone!
will

Portland, ME

#182 Jan 7, 2011
More changes in the executive suite in Minneapolis. Supervalu just fired the Merchandising EVP and installed a supply chain exec in his place, who will also oversee logistics. Will this possibly help with the persistent out-of-stock issues?
http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hello Publix, goodbye Alberstons (Jun '08) May 29 RandyR 38
News Man apologizes, withdraws Whole Foods gay slur ... (May '16) May 29 Mcguillacutty 3
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) May '17 apluswrecker 46
News Feds charge Winn-Dixie with selling undersized ... (Apr '06) May '17 Mango 60
Hartford Reserve is Great A&P' s new premium ho... (Oct '08) May '17 JoeBobNJ 44
News Billy Goat's famous 'Cheezborgers' coming to Je... Apr '17 John be lush 1
New Grocery Store Guide site Mar '17 john 1
More from around the web