Kroger Buying Shaw's?
Frank

Springfield, NJ

#1210 Mar 5, 2014
I'm hearing that the negotiations at the Methuen warehouse are not going well?
will

New Gloucester, ME

#1211 Mar 7, 2014
So, Shane Sampson is out and Jim Rice (not the Red Sox legend) is in at Shaw's/Star. Any advance word on how Rice is as a leader? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? And will the Safeway deal mean the Shaw's/Star's turnaround gets put on the back burner? Will Cerberus/Albertsons decide that Shaw's/Star should be spun off sooner rather than later? Will Kroger finally gain a New England foothold? Stay tuned...
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#1212 Mar 7, 2014
will wrote:
So, Shane Sampson is out and Jim Rice (not the Red Sox legend) is in at Shaw's/Star. Any advance word on how Rice is as a leader? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss? And will the Safeway deal mean the Shaw's/Star's turnaround gets put on the back burner? Will Cerberus/Albertsons decide that Shaw's/Star should be spun off sooner rather than later? Will Kroger finally gain a New England foothold? Stay tuned...
Shaws/Star turn around? They can't think these lame programs are going to turn around anything? Same labor issues, same bad customer service. What a joke this company is! They should just cllose the stores and put us all out of out misery!
will

Portland, ME

#1213 Mar 7, 2014
I've noticed that they are now promising no more than three customers in line before they open another checkout. That doesn't help if the two people in front of you are both rabid couponers with overflowing carts...
Frank

Ardsley, NY

#1214 Mar 8, 2014
Company and Union have reached a tentative agreement in Methuen
no hope

Ashburn, VA

#1215 Mar 24, 2014
Stores still Dead. Same old albertson supervalu. hogwash no customers +,high prices +no workers +mismanagement =more closings
Rocko

Enfield, CT

#1216 Apr 3, 2014
Well, anything new?
Former Employee

Thompson, CT

#1217 Apr 14, 2014
What's New At Shaws
will

Portland, ME

#1218 Apr 15, 2014
Nothing that I know of, but the mess at Market Basket gives them a chance to make some moves if they choose to. That's a big IF...unfortunately they seem to be committed to stupidity like making management police the doling out of rainchecks.
Deryk

Malden, MA

#1219 May 30, 2014
Shaw''s and Jewel have actually posted some positive growth. Shaw's prices have come down a bit, enough for the Boston Globe to write about In addition to the price cuts and the better promos, basket size is up and sales and earnings are up. Wegmans in Chestnut Hill hasn't affected business even a little. A friend of mine mentioned how in the last year of Supervalu's ownership, Boston North district was the only district where stores actually hit s/e projections and were the only ones in the entire company to do so.From a business standpoint, considering where we were over a year ago to now, we're coming back but in baby steps. The new Star Market they open in the Garden is already projected to outdo the Pru.

MIT will probably be the next store on the chopping block. H-Mart is KILLING an already slow and beat up Star Market location. But ultimately the store count doesn't matter if your overhead and costs mirror or exceed your net income. If you can run an efficient grocer with less than 100 stores (even in one state) and make a healthy margin then go for it.
James

Waltham, MA

#1220 May 30, 2014
Shaws in Chestnut hill down @ 400,000 a week since Wegmans opening!!!
Rocko

Peabody, MA

#1221 Jun 20, 2014
Any updates??
will

New Gloucester, ME

#1222 Jun 23, 2014
Well, as everyone knows by now the Market Basket board has fired Artie and the other old-timers. Two failed hacks turned consultants, one of them without any grocery experience, have been put in charge. Looks like Shaw's can now safely turn its attention to other competitors. Even Stevie Wonder saw this coming...
watson

Gilmanton, NH

#1223 Jun 24, 2014
NOw it should get interesting! Lets watch what Artie does now!
watson

Gilmanton, NH

#1224 Jul 7, 2014
Every single one of the people who know how to run a company and do it right all quit when Artie Joe and Billy were removed..While this could be looked at as a blood bath ,it is not the kind you would imagine..
The union will be knocking at their doors harder than ever and the buyers in charge are ,for the most part [remember BOB H <<<I said the most part] are clueless and unable to buy at the level Demoulas is famous for .. Add to that the simple fact that Artie T has more money than god,13 empty stores in Rhode Island and a willingness to invade Maine . he won't want to invade mass/NH as he still owns half of the Market basket company ..but he is about to take these amateurs to school ..I wish they could set up bleachers so we could all sit close by and watch from the front row ..Gonna be interesting
BarbaraW

Woodstock, CT

#1225 Aug 21, 2014
So how are the Shaws stores doing with the Market Basket "strike"? I wish Webster was still open so I could see their sales going back up, then when this is over maybe we would have been in a different situation and not closed. Sure is a lot of bitchin' on facebook about Price Chopper prices. Never did shop there much before, but with no Shaws, I tried it and paid dearly.
Eleanor

Oak Ridge, TN

#1226 Oct 7, 2014
Wow.
TimD

Danvers, MA

#1227 Oct 7, 2014
Eleanor wrote:
Wow.
Wow what?
yoyo

York, ME

#1228 Oct 8, 2014
Shaw's is back from the dead. Who would have thought !
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#1229 Oct 8, 2014
yoyo wrote:
Shaw's is back from the dead. Who would have thought !
What store? Down here business is slower than it was before the Market Basket thing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov 4 Michelle 96
News America Loves Muslim Food. So Much for a Clash ... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 12
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... (Jun '16) Aug '16 Scotty Steiner 15
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Aug '16 Iwillrun4fun 44
News Here's the best reason of all to drink organic ... Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 1
News Profits fall at Ingles Markets (Feb '09) Aug '16 true 94
Okay,,,so whats the deal with Shaws ?? (Oct '10) Jul '16 AnyoneElse 2
More from around the web