Kroger Buying Shaw's?
will

Portland, ME

#1190 Jan 18, 2014
It's become obvious by now that nobody can count on this being the end of the Shaw's/Star Market closures. Certainly underperforming stores will continue to be shuttered as leases expire or as Cerberus strikes deals with landlords for early exits. That said, the new Star Market for the Boston Garden redevelopment project indicates that the time horizon for Cerberus is longer-term than many might have thought. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Medford and Webster stores; most of the obvious players for Medford already have stores nearby or one in the pipeline.
robert

Milford, MA

#1191 Jan 20, 2014
Anyone else hearing rumors of us buying Roche Brothers.
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#1192 Jan 20, 2014
robert wrote:
Anyone else hearing rumors of us buying Roche Brothers.
someone told me that today. I have no idea if it's true.
jim g

Waltham, MA

#1193 Jan 20, 2014
franklin ma. store has all full timersbeing told to work 36 hours max or else only store in district also number 1 store in sales in district
will

Portland, ME

#1194 Jan 20, 2014
Interesting rumor about Roche Bros. Albertsons bought United Supermarkets in Texas recently, so it kind of makes sense. I don't know if the DOJ would approve a sale like this without significant divestitures. It would almost make more sense for Delhaize to buy them, but who knows...here's a store count by chain from the Globe the other day:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/2014/01/16/market-...
Howie

Raynham, MA

#1195 Jan 20, 2014
Any idea what is going on at this big meeting Wednesday at Gillette stadium and then all store managers required to work Thursday and Friday?
robert

Milford, MA

#1196 Jan 20, 2014
I was told the meeting wednesday is about upcoming programs that have to be in place at the beginning of the fiscal year. Sales plans for the coming year, how we have come a long way since they first bought us.
(the same old same old with a pat on the back for them.)
new programs for deli, front end, meat, bakery. Wonder things that are coming. But I wouldn't have expected them to go around and say the 2 stores were only the beginning... doom dooom dooom.
Bottom line is it sound like another pep rally again.
BarbaraW

Woodstock, CT

#1197 Feb 7, 2014
So the "good" news just keeps on coming. We were told to fill out transfer forms when we wer told we were closing. We were to pick the stores we would be willing to transfer to and to put them in order of say top three or so. Also we had to put what positions we would take. If we did not want to transfer, we had to explain why. We supposedly had to comply with the transfer prosess, including filling out the form to qualify for severance pay. No guarantee of transfer, position, pay or hours.

Yesterday, the assignments came, to stores, not picked for positions not wanted and hours not guaranteed. I chose not to transfer,(next closest store is an extra 10 miles one way and I'm part time 15 hrs) I was told no severance because I "effectively" quit when I said I would not transfer. Meanwhile she is hading me a letter saying I will be laid off effective Feb 17th. I will MOST likely qualify for unemployment, Shaws would not deny, BUT the sate of MA will make the final decision. What a big fat crock. I had hoped they would not turn out to be the snakes I know them for, but I suppose it's just "in their nature".
no hope

Ashburn, VA

#1198 Feb 7, 2014
E are just numbers and e Do Not. Matter to shaws o cerberus
will

Portland, ME

#1199 Feb 15, 2014
Any truth to the rumor that there's a five-store "hit list" of store closures including Portsmouth, North Hampton and Dover NH? Corporate is formally denying the rumor, but I wonder how this got started in the first place.
Frank

Springfield, NJ

#1200 Feb 16, 2014
will wrote:
Any truth to the rumor that there's a five-store "hit list" of store closures including Portsmouth, North Hampton and Dover NH? Corporate is formally denying the rumor, but I wonder how this got started in the first place.
I have not heard anything on this information
Frank

Springfield, NJ

#1201 Feb 16, 2014
I have heard about Stop and Shop giving up more market share but not Shaws. I don't have any specific store closings for Stop and Shop, just the buzz.
Frank

Springfield, NJ

#1202 Feb 16, 2014
Any news on the Methuen contract negotiations?I here that the contract will expire on March 8. Shaws can't afford another strike. I heard that everyone who negotiated the last contract for the company has been fired. The only way to take these corporate raiders on is through a union.
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#1203 Feb 17, 2014
Frank wrote:
Any news on the Methuen contract negotiations?I here that the contract will expire on March 8. Shaws can't afford another strike. I heard that everyone who negotiated the last contract for the company has been fired. The only way to take these corporate raiders on is through a union.
agreed! Why hasn't the union tried to organize in the stores?
will

Portland, ME

#1204 Feb 17, 2014
Is Cerberus operating the Methuen warehouse or is Supervalu?
Frank

Springfield, NJ

#1205 Feb 17, 2014
will wrote:
Is Cerberus operating the Methuen warehouse or is Supervalu?
My sources tell me it's Cerberus or The New Albertsons
robert

Milford, MA

#1206 Feb 18, 2014
Tim D wrote:
<quoted text> agreed! Why hasn't the union tried to organize in the stores?
The union has been trying to organize the other stores for a while now. They have gone to the stores and encouraged them to sign cards and even visit the web site for local 791. One store in New Hampshire even had enough people sign cards to become union, but when the vote came the people voted no. The company has the people scared to become union. Union stores the full timers get 40 hours and even work more hours on Sundays.
With all that has been going on I'm surprised these stores haven't gone union. Every Stop and shop is union, so it can work.
no hope

Boston, MA

#1207 Feb 18, 2014
Small sliver of hope for shaws. As a union chain because then the workers will be treated fairly and they can not tread on us anymore. But everyone is a coward so do not count on it
Frank

Ardsley, NY

#1208 Mar 3, 2014
Any news?
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#1209 Mar 3, 2014
Frank wrote:
Any news?
I haven't heard anything new. All I know is the situation gets worse and worse every day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Billy Goat's famous 'Cheezborgers' coming to Je... Tue John be lush 1
New Grocery Store Guide site Mar '17 john 1
News Morgan Stanley Doubles Down On Village Super Ma... Mar '17 Humanspirit 1
News Giant Eagle closures Feb '17 Georges 8
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Jan '17 tita 98
News Neilson Dairy sold to Saputo (Oct '08) Jan '17 is more trouble c... 16
Private Label Research Project Jan '17 Anonymous 1
More from around the web