Kroger Buying Shaw's?
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#1088 Aug 13, 2013
I agree. They cut my hours by one, no big deal except I won't get topp time because I only have 14 hours this week, but they are transferring in someone from Webster Square and we now have an asst store director, grocery manager, asst grocery manager. We haven't had an assistant store director or assistant grocery manager for over 3 years, why now with all the payroll cutbacks. Plus all these managers are using up their topp time. What do they know?
Unsure

Grafton, NH

#1089 Aug 15, 2013
Today at my store all the manager's was called into the Service Desk office around 3 p.m. wonder what that was all about? The Market basket will be opening next to my store this Sunday. I know the department managers had been told that we needed to cut $2,000 out of the schedules every week. We average 2-3 registers open per day. On a good day maybe 4 but our store is not getting the business we used to. During this time of year (tourist season) our store used to be so busy that we would have every register open and need a couple more, everyone from a department would have to come up and bag. Not anymore! We are loosing customers left and right but they can invest money in new uniforms, new carts, painting the stores,etc. We should be investing the money in our customers.
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#1090 Aug 16, 2013
How do they expect us to meet their expectations in customer service, sales etc? They keep cutting payroll! We can't handle what we have to do now but they want us to do better......What good is hiring if we can't give anyone hours?
Frankenstein

York, ME

#1091 Aug 16, 2013
You gotta have heart.
Transfer

Monomoy Island, MA

#1092 Aug 16, 2013
robert wrote:
heard rumors of more lay offs this weekend. Maybe 300.
so lets see:
can't hire because of hiring freeze.
must keep OSAT up
cut the shrink
keep going after sales
don't let the customer wait in lines up front
departments are to be opened until at least 9PM.
And who do they think will be able to do this
my department doesn't have the personal for this.
My district mgr is telling people hold in there because we're starting to turn the corner. It will be better for shaws to open new stores then to keep the 12 stores they closed open.
Who is he kidding...
Well I'm off to work now lets see how many hours they cut from me this week.
Curious where you heard about layoffs?.....
robert

Blackstone, MA

#1093 Aug 17, 2013
We got told by our store mgr. This was only because when writing a sch. we were told which people had to be removed from the sch. due to lay offs. They started laying off and transferring full timers that Wed.
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#1094 Aug 18, 2013
Well more hours cut this week went from 14 down to 8. Wonder what we're doing with the service desk since we don't have that many people that can do it and two are leaving in the next two weeks. That leave me, one bookkeeper and the CSM. WOW!
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#1095 Aug 18, 2013
So our CSM is running the desk 3 days next week with the help of the bookkeeper until 12pm then at 3 someone comes in to work it until 7pm when the desk closes. All the schedules were cut even more this week, and now I realize that we may have an asst. store director and an asst. grocery manager to actually close the store. The rank and file have no way of knowing how to do this so that is probably why they added more to our payroll only to cut clerk hours. What is is!!
robert

Blackstone, MA

#1096 Aug 20, 2013
robert

Blackstone, MA

#1097 Aug 20, 2013
So lets see in the story we have:
"The changes — remodeling stores, lowering prices, adding inventory and employees
The new president also said he has hired 2,000 associates since March and invested more than $10 million in extra inventory."
it also points out that it has closed 12 stores. But doesn't point out that they just laid off 300 associates. I don't know where they hired all these other associates because I get emails almost everyday of stores looking for help.(right now I've been told we're in a hiring freeze. even though my stores have signs everywhere now hiring.)
My front end doesn't even have enough people to get carriages, they call other departments. The deli has to close early do to no help. Good luck finding a meat associate past 5. The desk is always empty because they have to watch the scan yourself out registrars.
Shaws lowered some prices yes, but the 10 million dollars in extra inventory is all sitting in back rooms because there is no one to put it out or check you out.
Tim D

Fallon, NV

#1098 Aug 20, 2013
robert wrote:
So lets see in the story we have:
"The changes — remodeling stores, lowering prices, adding inventory and employees
The new president also said he has hired 2,000 associates since March and invested more than $10 million in extra inventory."
it also points out that it has closed 12 stores. But doesn't point out that they just laid off 300 associates. I don't know where they hired all these other associates because I get emails almost everyday of stores looking for help.(right now I've been told we're in a hiring freeze. even though my stores have signs everywhere now hiring.)
My front end doesn't even have enough people to get carriages, they call other departments. The deli has to close early do to no help. Good luck finding a meat associate past 5. The desk is always empty because they have to watch the scan yourself out registrars.
Shaws lowered some prices yes, but the 10 million dollars in extra inventory is all sitting in back rooms because there is no one to put it out or check you out.
I couldn't have said it better. This is a half assed way to bring a company back!
Supa Shaws

Portland, ME

#1099 Aug 21, 2013
So why is store managers going to a mandatory meeting in Ma 9/22/13...what's up with that?
will

Portland, ME

#1100 Aug 21, 2013
I was at the Market Basket grand opening Sunday and met Artie Demoulas - it was as though they had set off a neutron bomb in Biddeford as far as the other supermarkets were concerned. Ouch. They must have had a pretty good inkling it was going to be a success - they bought the entire shopping center! Hope the Shaw's up the street survives. They really have their work cut out for them.

For their part, Hannaford will just quietly lick their wounds and soldier on; they are the "hometown" grocer, after all. With the benefit of hindsight I bet they wish they hadn't bought the Stop & Shop in Kennebunk. That's got to be killing them, especially now.
will

Portland, ME

#1101 Aug 24, 2013
Did Shaw's just get a lifeline? Artie lost big at the board meeting:
http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_2393...
watson

Laconia, NH

#1102 Aug 24, 2013
market Basket owns all the hpping centers whre they have stoe excpt 3 ..thats only because the owner won't sell.
Theyhave no mortgages on aything nd often pay for the deiveries to the river when he backs the truck up to the door. Yes ,thei are some people in the Demolas famiy that have no clue a to just how wel arie runng the company,he learned from his fathr and he learned well. The other side f the family likes cas so they voted tht the company dispurse 250 milion n cash to the stok holders.#1 250 million in cash is beer money for the weekend at the sumer houses they own on Govenors island in N.H. artie will come out on top ;he ALWAYS does . it is things like these tat wil make artie open up hs own little chain in Rhode island,,he already owns 13 shutteredstore there ...If here any flies n Arie tey are paying rent ..Don't EVER VE uderestimate Arti .I know him well and hewill alwasy win .. evem if he as to giv out 250 mili cashto te stockholers it s chump change,,,,just lo at th housing developement eis dong in Londonderry ,nh .. I forgt th numers but it is something like 3000 homes .project will run 3 billion dollars ..he owns it outright ..
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#1103 Aug 26, 2013
Anything? Any news at all? This is getting on my nerves waiting for some kind of news.
robert

Blackstone, MA

#1104 Aug 26, 2013
Barbara W wrote:
Anything? Any news at all? This is getting on my nerves waiting for some kind of news.
You talking about news from the shaws managers meeting?
that meeting, my store mgr said, was more pep rally than anything.
they talked about upcoming promotions and lets keep the momentum going. We are now number two in the market and climbing. Don't lose focus on our plan, GOLD standard and OSAT. We have a lot more things to come and trust me the other chains are starting to notice.

That in a nut shell is what my mgr told us the meeting was.
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#1105 Aug 26, 2013
What have they been smoking? Our sales are not rebounding, we were slow as molasses last week. It reminds me of when there is a snow storm and no one but a few brave souls venture out.
will

Lisbon Falls, ME

#1106 Aug 26, 2013
I'm not seeing any meaningful bump in business at my local Shaw's, either. If Cerberus is patient, though, they may benefit in the long run as it appears that the Arthur S. faction of the Demoulas family is determined to destroy MB.
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#1107 Aug 27, 2013
Our business went up but we can't spend the labor to support it. Can't get grocery loads up and people stand at the deli and service desk without anyone there to wait on them. It's pretty pathetic!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... Aug 9 Daniel Boone 10
News Profits fall at Ingles Markets (Feb '09) Aug 5 true 94
Okay,,,so whats the deal with Shaws ?? (Oct '10) Jul 30 AnyoneElse 2
News Feds: Whole Foods can't trademark 'world's heal... Jul 29 bill gatez 1
News Altria Group: An Attractive Investment (Apr '14) Jul '16 Mugs mahone 2
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver (May '15) Jul '16 Leigho 4
News Neilson Dairy sold to Saputo (Oct '08) Jun '16 while they rob u 15
More from around the web