Kroger Buying Shaw's?
Tim D

Danvers, MA

#985 May 27, 2013
Same old shit, different owners! When will it end?
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#986 May 28, 2013
mike m wrote:
new rule .greet customers within 6 ft not 8 ft! Guess we should all just forget about hitting r.e's! Same old stuff.More work to do. Gold standards. Grand Opening Look Daily)( face entire store,No cutting f.O.G . And get no extra time!
Same old crap just a bigger pile!
Last week a Store manager walked out and Assistant st.Mng quit! heard 2 more(wells) truck drivers quit and are going to Walmart to drive! Red Flag. We will see in June if Cerebus is serious about competing as I hear prices are to start dropping!
Today I was doing price changes and almost all of them went up. Some as much as $1! Maybe prices will drop soon but they are raising them first. Do they really think they are fooling anyone?
Barbara W

United States

#987 May 31, 2013
So does anyone know what these "BIG CHANGES" are that our Store Director told us about at our mandatory meeting? What do you think about New Albertson's expectations?
bixby

York, ME

#988 May 31, 2013
They're trying drive the remaining full-timers into the ground.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#989 Jun 1, 2013
Barbara W wrote:
So does anyone know what these "BIG CHANGES" are that our Store Director told us about at our mandatory meeting? What do you think about New Albertson's expectations?
No idea, no one has told us anything other than new uniforms.
Gameboy

Lawrence, MA

#990 Jun 2, 2013
The new expectations are not realistic. This guy sampson is from Texas. He was sent here to thin the herd!!! They want people to quit. He is not a very friendly person. Not a good way to start out a rebuilding company by having management fear him. I do what I can everyday in my 8 hr shift but I should do more for this jerk? Sorry Shane.You said we would simplify things but you have made it worse than before. Just my opinion. Anyone else feel the same???
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#991 Jun 6, 2013
How outrageous is it that we have to sign a paper agreeing to "suggestive sell" to customers. Do they realize its a grocery store and customers don't want to be pushed to buy stuff they don't want! It's not like we are a high end commission retail store. How much worse can this get?
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#992 Jun 6, 2013
Don't ask that Tim Do it's a sure sign it WILL get worse! lol
Rosie Palmer

York, ME

#993 Jun 7, 2013
The new company is crapping all over the employees and it's not even their fault Shaw's is in such dire straits.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#994 Jun 7, 2013
Store managers have to work 6 days per week for 12 hours per day and vacations cancelled. I am not sure for how long.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#995 Jun 8, 2013
I wonder if the Boston Globe would do a follow up story on The one they did about 6 months ago about Shaws?
will

Portland, ME

#996 Jun 14, 2013
The front end staff at my local Shaw's is making a mockery of the "suggestive selling" mantra. They suggested I buy tortilla chips along with Mrs. Budd's chicken pies. We had a good chuckle over that.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#997 Jun 14, 2013
will wrote:
The front end staff at my local Shaw's is making a mockery of the "suggestive selling" mantra. They suggested I buy tortilla chips along with Mrs. Budd's chicken pies. We had a good chuckle over that.
That's awesome! There will be more of that I am sure lol!
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#998 Jun 18, 2013
Anyone have any details about the 28th? Big secrets!
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#999 Jun 19, 2013
Don't really know, but my front end manager was in tears yesterday because the store director keeps taking our front end people and putting them in grocery because they are shorthanded. Of course that leaves no one for the cashiering, and she took our csr's. Grocery manager found a new job, as did our night closer. They will be leaving in a week or two. Company won't give hours for our human resource person, so who is there to hire more people? They also want 7 cashiers and baggers all day next Friday as well as greeters, and we don't have that many people for three shifts. What ever they are doing, they are expecting tons of people, but we don't have the staff. It's nuts and I don't know what will happen. Probably EPIC fail.
will

Portland, ME

#1000 Jun 19, 2013
I'm hearing that on the 28th Shaw's is lowering prices on about 120,000 SKUs. Hannaford started aggressively lowering prices last week. It was all over the news yesterday. The Market Basket effect?
robert

Blackstone, MA

#1001 Jun 19, 2013
we had people over this wkend from corp in our store telling us that we need to hire more people to prepare for the 28th. The store mgr says no to hiring more people, its all still about controlling the labor.
Yes they took people from every dept. to help grocery this coming wk. Screwing other depts.
We have no one to cashier or bag.
Barbara W

Woodstock, CT

#1002 Jun 19, 2013
Got in a BOX of price tags today, Really don't know how they will get all put up. One set end on the 27th the other I think said July 11th. Two week sale? don't know how we will pull this off.
will

Portland, ME

#1003 Jun 19, 2013
Hannaford is getting saturation coverage on local news for its lowering of prices on a number of everyday SKUs. Bananas, for example are now $.49 a pound. Curious timing, what with Market Basket about to invade Maine, Hannaford's home base. If nothing else, an impressive display of Hannaford's well-oiled PR machine.
will

Portland, ME

#1004 Jun 19, 2013
Given that a typical supermarket only has 30K-50K SKUs, maybe that should have read 12K SKUs being reduced. It'll be interesting to see if these are short or long-term cuts, as the Hannaford reductions have been described as temporary in at least one news story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jane Parker Fruit Cake is again available this ... (Oct '07) Nov 15 Jane Parker Fruit... 42
Grocery Store Donation - why or why not? Nov 2 emnayo 1
News Feds sue Publix over dreadlocks ban Oct '17 canstacker 1
News Layoffs coming at Shaw's supermarkets: Chain to... (Nov '12) Sep '17 Stephen D Clark 7
News Now at Whole Foods: Cheaper milk, 'farm fresh' ... Sep '17 a_visitor 5
Who does the shopping in your house? Do you? ... Sep '17 Sonja 1
News Ingles Markets, Incorporated (IMKTA) Reaches Ne... Aug '17 justwondering 1
More from around the web