Kroger Buying Shaw's?
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#945 Mar 2, 2013
Anyone hearing anything? The not knowing is the worst.....
mike

AOL

#946 Mar 2, 2013
Everything I have seen has been super positive.Looks like prices are sure to drop,our store is getting ready to hire some help.Also sounds like Shaws will be running shaws when everything is finalized with our own corporate people.We were told that margin is not as important.Going after sales is the top priority.
That being said if stores don't deliver a return I would imagine it will not end well.
shawsrulz

Manchester, MA

#947 Mar 3, 2013
I heard 40 stores closing at close of sale.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#948 Mar 3, 2013
shawsrulz wrote:
I heard 40 stores closing at close of sale.
I heard something similar but don't know if its true or nor. Hard to know if sources are legit or not.
will

Portland, ME

#949 Mar 5, 2013
If they're going to go all out to win (back) customers, they're going to have to beef up staffing and service levels and invest in price. An effort of that magnitude won't be wasted on stores that Cerberus thinks has little chance of being turned around. At least the management team seems to be fully engaged, which is more than one could say about SVU. Fingers crossed for all of our sakes!
Rocko

Hamden, CT

#950 Mar 7, 2013
Tim Do wrote:
<quoted text> I heard something similar but don't know if its true or nor. Hard to know if sources are legit or not.
where did you hear this from?
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#951 Mar 8, 2013
Rocko wrote:
<quoted text>where did you hear this from?
just rumors, a few vendors and stuff I read. That's why I don't know wats true and wats not.
Rocko

Hyde Park, MA

#952 Mar 9, 2013
Well I know vendors are sometimes absolutely useless when it comes to cold hard facts but, if the stuff you read was from legitimate sources than that could definitely be something to watch out for.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#953 Mar 9, 2013
Rocko wrote:
Well I know vendors are sometimes absolutely useless when it comes to cold hard facts but, if the stuff you read was from legitimate sources than that could definitely be something to watch out for.
Sometimes the vendors find out before we do but you are right sometimes they just like to spread bullshit. That's why I don't know if they are correct. Also don't knw if the stuff I read is legit. Guess we will just have to wait and see. On the bright side, stores are allowed to hire again!
will

Portland, ME

#954 Mar 11, 2013
Interesting speculation from Neil Stern, senior partner at McMillanDoolittle, Chicago, and from an unnamed industry observer about the fate of Shaw's/Star Market under Cerberus:

"If the new owners do decide to put one chain up for sale, that property could be the Shaw’s/Star Markets group in New England, Stern noted.“It’s pure speculation at this point, but it could be first because it’s been for sale for years under Supervalu’s ownership, and it’s an asset that has struggled in recent years.”

An industry observer also said the Shaw’s/Star Markets group is the division where Cerberus is most likely to sell the most stores to other operators in the short term.

“Cerberus could focus on the core stores in the Boston market, with companies like Demoulas likely to be interested in the stores in Rhode Island and chains like Price Chopper and Big Y very anxious to take over the non-union operations in Vermont and New Hampshire.”"

Read More: http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financi... (free sub. req'd)

I don't see why Big Y would be interested in expanding into states they do not already operate in, and Price Chopper must be pretty close to saturation in Vermont. No mention of the Maine stores, either. Interesting observations just the same.
Howie

Randolph, MA

#955 Mar 18, 2013
New company already changing store manager and asst hours... Longer days and closing the store at night.... Not a good sign of things to come
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#956 Mar 18, 2013
Howie wrote:
New company already changing store manager and asst hours... Longer days and closing the store at night.... Not a good sign of things to come
I heard they canceled that.
Howie

Pittsfield, MA

#957 Mar 18, 2013
Yes now they already cancelled it... Prob Tom vesey idea that got shot down
will

New Gloucester, ME

#958 Mar 21, 2013
Tomorrow, Shaw's will be under Cerberus control. Hope it all works out...
Tim D

Glenside, PA

#959 Mar 22, 2013
No mention of lowering prices. Other stuff sounds good but if they don't lower prices nothing else will matter, they won't come back!
will

Portland, ME

#960 Mar 26, 2013
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#961 Mar 26, 2013
will wrote:
That is Supervalu. Shaws is not part of that anymore.
will

Portland, ME

#962 Mar 26, 2013
Tim Do wrote:
<quoted text> That is Supervalu. Shaws is not part of that anymore.
Symphony Partners (the Cerberus-led consortium that now owns Shaw's) also owns the largest block of Supervalu stock and has a seat on SVU's board of directors. This is how they operate, and you can bet similar cutbacks are coming to Shaw's.
will

Portland, ME

#963 Mar 26, 2013
How long do you think the run-down Fenway Shaw's will survive between the new Whole Foods and then this?

http://bostonglobe.com/business/2013/03/25/we...

The money quote:
"A Fenway store would also put Wegmans near the Shaw’s supermarket at the corner of Boylston Street and Brookline Avenue. Shaw’s is located in a concrete block of a building and has become increasingly dated in appearance and food selection."
will

Portland, ME

#964 Mar 26, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hello Publix, goodbye Alberstons (Jun '08) May 29 RandyR 38
News Man apologizes, withdraws Whole Foods gay slur ... (May '16) May 29 Mcguillacutty 3
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) May '17 apluswrecker 46
News Feds charge Winn-Dixie with selling undersized ... (Apr '06) May '17 Mango 60
Hartford Reserve is Great A&P' s new premium ho... (Oct '08) May '17 JoeBobNJ 44
News Billy Goat's famous 'Cheezborgers' coming to Je... Apr '17 John be lush 1
New Grocery Store Guide site Mar '17 john 1
More from around the web