Kroger Buying Shaw's?
will

Gray, ME

#924 Feb 9, 2013
I'll say one thing on behalf of Shaw's - they kept their Facebook page staffed to handle questions from employees and customers about the status of stores during the storm. Hannaford was out to lunch.
will

Gray, ME

#925 Feb 11, 2013
Here's something you'll never see at a Shaw's - cops called due to overcrowding
http://salem.patch.com/articles/storm-center-...
Mike M

AOL

#926 Feb 16, 2013
Conference call yesterday!
Word is that a Cerberus rep had a meeting with ten shaws store managers.Looks like the aquisition is not a "real estate play" and are going to improve store conditions and the main thing, Lower prices.Everything sounding positive so far.....
will

Gray, ME

#927 Feb 16, 2013
I hope this is for real. Cerberus knows what needs to be done (and Supervalu management knew it, too) but SVU was hamstrung by the debt overhang and couldn't make the necessary price investments and store renovations because they needed margin to service that debt. With a lot less debt, Shaw's can now go forward. However, it remains to be seen how many shoppers can be won back due to entrenched perceptions of Shaw's pricing. I also wonder how patient Cerberus will be given private equity expectations of return on investment. Ultimately, I fear that Shaw's will end up being a real estate play one way or the other. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong!
Mike M

AOL

#928 Feb 16, 2013
will wrote:
I hope this is for real. Cerberus knows what needs to be done (and Supervalu management knew it, too) but SVU was hamstrung by the debt overhang and couldn't make the necessary price investments and store renovations because they needed margin to service that debt. With a lot less debt, Shaw's can now go forward. However, it remains to be seen how many shoppers can be won back due to entrenched perceptions of Shaw's pricing. I also wonder how patient Cerberus will be given private equity expectations of return on investment. Ultimately, I fear that Shaw's will end up being a real estate play one way or the other. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong!
Don't think Shaws owns much real-estate anyways! I think they least most of the properties! Guess they could sell the leases!
Paul

AOL

#929 Feb 16, 2013
There needs to be lower prices,at least as sale items to bring back some shoppers.The lower prices doesnt have to be on everything,but you need a hook to bring people in,now they have little to no hook.
Sixteentons

Lewiston, ME

#930 Feb 17, 2013
Get rid of the "rewards" card. Prices started shooting up not long after that program launched.
Paul

AOL

#931 Feb 17, 2013
The rewards card allows Shaws to track your purchases(big brother watching) and supposibly tailors coupons that print out to things you buy.It punishes those who do not have a card,as they cannot get sales pricing without it.It creates a whole extra dimension of red tape and costs to print them,register them,and administer them.You will probably see that go away once Cerberus starts crunching numbers.However,some believe in it....CVS,Walgreens and Rite Aid seem to love it..
Barbara W

Norwich, CT

#932 Feb 17, 2013
I read that the Albertson's stores that Cerberus owns, does not use rewards cards, They got rid of them.
will

Gray, ME

#933 Feb 19, 2013
Albertsons LLC also got rid of self-checkouts, which gives them an added opportunity to interact with shoppers. Market Basket doesn't have them, either, and they're doing just fine, to say the very least!
watson

Wolfeboro, NH

#934 Feb 19, 2013
When I shop I don't want to have to use coupons.I want the price to be low and not just for some shoppers.
I don't want to run out to my truck to get my other set of keys to my truck,l,,ya' know ,,the key ring with the shaws card on it .Idon't want ragu spahetti sauce for 99 cents on the endcaps and then get screwed all the way up one aisle and then down the next aisle ..I want fair prices all the time .. why don't they just look at Market Basket and do the same thing but maybe raise EVERy price by 1 or 2 per cent ...thats all
Idon't want to have to buy 10 of something or at least ten packages of any of these items on this list .
I DON'T WANT GIMMICKS AND BULLSHIT ..All I want is low fair prices all the time and I shouldn't have to buy 10 pounds of this steakor chicken breast to get the price
Stop the Bullshit and sell groceries
real world

Franklin, MA

#935 Feb 19, 2013
There is a reason gimmicks are used. They offer value to the customer and company. You could stop them but have to find another way to save. You could offer great no gimmick deals but if you are losing money ????????? The reason the cards and gimmicks were introduced was to save money.
Barbara W

Norwich, CT

#936 Feb 20, 2013
In theory this is a good idea. In practice not so much. It doesn't help if your store prices are $2 or $3 more than say Market Basket and you "save" 50 cents with your rewards card. MB doesn't use rewards cards and their parking lot is jammed packed. We on the other hand are a ghost town, except for people who want to cash their $1100 checks and only pay a dollar. These people do not however, want to shop at Shaws!
watson

Wolfeboro, NH

#937 Feb 20, 2013
Barbara ,
that is exactly the problem [has been the problem ] with shaws.. They just use gimmicks and while the general public are generally pretty stupid, after shopping week after week after week they realize that what matters is quality and price .. I see stuff at regular price at N.B. that is lower than shaws sales prices ALL THE TIME !!
All the customers want is a clean store ,good selection and resaonable prices ...and they are willing to compromise on a couple of those things ,,
soif Market Basket is not alwasy spotless the people can shop there and walk out knwing they have paid the lowest pricew in town for a product that has good or great quality ..shaws wants to play games and ask for your card and your rewards and " you only bought 8 of these s" so you don't get the sale price !!
screw you shaws and the horse you road in on !!
clerk

Franklin, MA

#938 Feb 20, 2013
My shaws has lowered gallon milk prices to 249. Lower than local market basket. Have been ordering more so maybe it is a start
Frank

Bronx, NY

#939 Feb 20, 2013
Shaws President terminated, how do you get that job? Better yet how do you keep it?
will

Gray, ME

#940 Feb 22, 2013
Better Shaw's President got terminated than the chain got terminated, which is how Stigers' last job turned out!
http://www.mercurynews.com/san-jose-neighborh...
Barbara W

Norwich, CT

#941 Feb 22, 2013
New president touring stores today. Luckily he skipped my store. Unfortunately, we prepared for his visit instead of makeing sure we had the products out for our sale that started today. No new Lay's chips, no boston market clam chowder, no 99 cent watermelon. Then they wonder why our sales are down and people go else where. I WANT to shop my store, but it pisses me off that we don't have the sale items. Last week it was the chowder and the 2/$5 pizzas. Oh and by the way Price Chopper also has milk for $2.49.

will

Gray, ME

#942 Feb 23, 2013
Barbara, I wish he *hadn't* skipped your store; he needs to see the problem areas that need addressing firsthand. I hope he will continue to make store visits; Shaw's needs a hands-on prexy if there's going to be any hope of a turnaround.
Barbara W

Norwich, CT

#944 Feb 24, 2013
I think that if the Prez wants to really SEE what the store are like, don't announce it to anyone. Dress like a regular customer. Forgo the suit and go to the service desk, buy a quarter pound of something at the deli etc. just like a regular shopper and see the customer service, availability of the sale items ect. Then he will know what needs to be done. Oh and I compared the prices in our flyer this week to Price chopper and we had better prices on a lot of things, I hope if they lower the prices, that the advertise the HELL out of it. Some people don't check the flyers side by side. I work at the service desk and I get bored LOL!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Publix Buys Food City (Jun '09) Jul 23 Captain America 327
Hartford Reserve is Great A&P' s new premium ho... (Oct '08) Jul 6 Cat 43
News Whole Foods Faces FTC Mislabeling Investigation... Jun '15 Stebo 2
shopping cart repair and maintenance May '15 caremnt 1
News OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... (Nov '14) May '15 Dude 6
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver May '15 Victor 2
News A spa and grocer in one (Jan '07) May '15 holmes 2
More from around the web