Kroger Buying Shaw's?
brian

Worcester, MA

#903 Jan 23, 2013
any new word on shaws situation since being bought out a few weeks ago?
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#904 Jan 23, 2013
brian wrote:
any new word on shaws situation since being bought out a few weeks ago?
We haven't heard a thing! Everything is speculation. Not knowing is the worst part!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#905 Jan 24, 2013
Who will be the next President at Farm Fresh (Division of Supervalu in the Tidewater area)?
will

Portland, ME

#906 Jan 24, 2013
Nothing is likely to happen at any of the divisions being sold off (including Shaw's) until Cerberus takes over. Then, expect them to move quickly to shutter underperforming stores and cut real estate deals to clean up their balance sheet. Look at what they did at Albertsons LLC, which is less than one-third the size it was when Cerberus took control in 2006.

Farm Fresh has had Bill Parker as interim President since September when Gaelo de la Fuente was sent packing. Again, I don't expect any executive moves until the Supervalu-Cerberus deal clears. Now is not the time to make any long-term deals, especially as Cerberus is taking seats on the SVU board and assuming a 30% stake in them.
will

Portland, ME

#908 Jan 25, 2013
Then again, maybe Shaw's is just damaged beyond repair:
http://morningnewsbeat.com/News/News_Article_...
will

Portland, ME

#909 Jan 25, 2013
C'mon, people, how can Shaw's survive at 11% market share? I really wanna know!
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#910 Jan 26, 2013
will wrote:
C'mon, people, how can Shaw's survive at 11% market share? I really wanna know!
i can't imagine that they can. You got to figure big changes are coming....

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#911 Jan 28, 2013
will wrote:
Nothing is likely to happen at any of the divisions being sold off (including Shaw's) until Cerberus takes over. Then, expect them to move quickly to shutter underperforming stores and cut real estate deals to clean up their balance sheet. Look at what they did at Albertsons LLC, which is less than one-third the size it was when Cerberus took control in 2006.
Farm Fresh has had Bill Parker as interim President since September when Gaelo de la Fuente was sent packing. Again, I don't expect any executive moves until the Supervalu-Cerberus deal clears. Now is not the time to make any long-term deals, especially as Cerberus is taking seats on the SVU board and assuming a 30% stake in them.
Do you think Ron Dennis will come back? He was in the seat before Gaelo and was the one who turned Farm Fresh around. Sales and customer count were up, stores were clean and the public respected the name Farm Fresh. He was the best they had.
will

Portland, ME

#912 Jan 28, 2013
Hard to imagine Ron Dennis coming back to Farm Fresh except maybe short-term; he's hung out his shingle as a consultant. I guess it comes down to how many clients he has and whether he still has the fire in the belly.

Going back to Shaw's, a reader of Kevin Coupe's blog suggested Kroger buying Shaw's (sound familiar?) and combining it with Pathmark. The management team Cerberus has assembled has ties to Burkle.

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#913 Jan 29, 2013
will wrote:
Hard to imagine Ron Dennis coming back to Farm Fresh except maybe short-term; he's hung out his shingle as a consultant. I guess it comes down to how many clients he has and whether he still has the fire in the belly.
Going back to Shaw's, a reader of Kevin Coupe's blog suggested Kroger buying Shaw's (sound familiar?) and combining it with Pathmark. The management team Cerberus has assembled has ties to Burkle.
My belief is that C&S will come in and take them over,or at least part,maybe they split it with Stop &Shop.
will

Portland, ME

#914 Jan 29, 2013
Shareholders and (former) SVU employees tear Wayne Sales a new one for his golden parachute:
will

Portland, ME

#915 Jan 30, 2013
Executive pay decisions have consequences - SVU loses wholesale customer to rival.
will

United States

#916 Feb 5, 2013
Wayne Sales has left the building, thank God...and as Kevin Coupe points out, that 12 mil might not be as secure as the tire guy thinks...
will

Portland, ME

#917 Feb 6, 2013
From the "things are tough all over" department - Delhaize parent whacks 500 more exec positions. Question: does anyone believe that store-level layoffs aren't coming?
will

Portland, ME

#918 Feb 6, 2013
Hannaford parent Delhaize, that is...carry on...
will

Portland, ME

#919 Feb 6, 2013
I wonder if we'll also see underperforming Shaw's stores closing as the leases run out
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaki...
watson

Barnstead, NH

#920 Feb 6, 2013
Will,
We have been seeing underperforming shaws stores closing over the past few years .. I think you might mean using a sharper axe this time
will

Portland, ME

#921 Feb 6, 2013
Exactly. Keep in mind that Cerberus management is already in place and are therefore ready to hit the ground running once the deal has passed the final hurdle. Shock and awe is the order of the day in New England grocery retailing; just witness today's mass exodus at Hannaford HQ. Local TV news is full of video of executives hauling their personal possessions to their cars. That's a lot of institutional knowledge that Shaw's could make use of right now to turn around the stores that Cerberus thinks has a chance if they decide to "regionalize" the banners as they have indicated.
fred

Chestnut Hill, MA

#922 Feb 9, 2013
shaws stores will close and the rest of what is left within ONE YEAR will be gone forever hpefully stop and shop takes the good ones
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#923 Feb 9, 2013
fred wrote:
shaws stores will close and the rest of what is left within ONE YEAR will be gone forever hpefully stop and shop takes the good ones
How do you know this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '16 Michelle 96
News America Loves Muslim Food. So Much for a Clash ... Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 12
News 'I apologize to the LGBT community': Texas past... (Jun '16) Aug '16 Scotty Steiner 15
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Aug '16 Iwillrun4fun 44
News Here's the best reason of all to drink organic ... Aug '16 Serratus Anterior 1
News Profits fall at Ingles Markets (Feb '09) Aug '16 true 94
Okay,,,so whats the deal with Shaws ?? (Oct '10) Jul '16 AnyoneElse 2
More from around the web