Kroger Buying Shaw's?
fred

Hyde Park, MA

#882 Dec 22, 2012
to giantone i hear they are maine stores and probably wont happen because history shows us that supervalu wants too much for the stores

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#883 Dec 22, 2012
fred wrote:
to giantone i hear they are maine stores and probably wont happen because history shows us that supervalu wants too much for the stores
https://www.ahold.com/ #!/Media/Martins.htm
If the stores are in Maine C&S might picl them up.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#884 Dec 29, 2012
Have any stores in MA installed the scanners so we won't have it price? I saw Stop & Shop was but haven't heard if Shaws was?
huh

East Bridgewater, MA

#885 Dec 29, 2012
Stop & Shop not only has a few fixed place scanners, their hand held Scan-it device is perfect for being able to check every item's price.

Didn't notice any the last time I was in Shaws.
moonlight

Lisbon Falls, ME

#886 Jan 8, 2013
I agree with that 100%..Me and my boyfriend work at shaws and he only gets one day a week if he is lucky if the manager feels nice to give him hrs..and i get about 18...so i hope someone buys them out very soon....
Frank

Ardsley, NY

#887 Jan 9, 2013
Is tomorrow the big day?
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#888 Jan 9, 2013
Frank wrote:
Is tomorrow the big day?
not ure what we will find out other than the company lost more money...
watson

Barnstead, NH

#889 Jan 9, 2013
Well, We can now ad to shaws problems by begining to discuss the hell that will break loose when Market Basket opens up in Biddeford Me later this spring with their first Maine store ..... you WILL see at least 6 more stores in Quick successsion .. should be interesting to Hannafords !!
will

Portland, ME

#890 Jan 10, 2013
Our long nightmare is finally over...Cerberus buys Shaw's!

http://bostonherald.com/business/business_mar...
Frank

Ardsley, NY

#891 Jan 10, 2013
I guess today was the day!!!!
Nightstocker

Saraland, AL

#892 Jan 10, 2013
Congratulations to all the Shaws employees. You are finally free. Good Luck
I hope Shoppers follows you!
eric

Worcester, MA

#893 Jan 10, 2013
is there a list somewhere which includes the certain shaws stores that are bought out by cerberus?
will

Portland, ME

#894 Jan 10, 2013
Shaw's and Star Market are being bought in their entirety. Supervalu is essentially shrinking back to its pre-Albertsons form, selling the banners for roughly one-third what they paid for them in 2006. It's amazing how much value and market share Supervalu frittered away in just a few years. Shoppers was acquired by SVU in 1999 as part of the Richfoods deal, so I suspect it'll be sticking around for a while. There are a lot of unanswered questions about this deal, including who ends up controlling the distribution centers and what happens to private label. I wouldn't be surprised if not much changes, as Cerberus is taking a 30% stake in SVU. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#895 Jan 10, 2013
Nightstocker wrote:
Congratulations to all the Shaws employees. You are finally free. Good Luck
I hope Shoppers follows you!
If shoppers goes anywhere it will be to Giant,hopefully of Landover.
eric

Worcester, MA

#896 Jan 11, 2013
yeah i miss worded that question, it will be interesting to see what store locations make it and which ones wont.im sure that'll come out within the next few weeks.
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#897 Jan 11, 2013
What now? Do they turn us around or just close us? Either way, something had to happen......
eric

Worcester, MA

#898 Jan 11, 2013
i'd say if ur particular store makes the money that store would be fine, but the stores that are struggling i would guess they would sell that property.
will

Portland, ME

#899 Jan 11, 2013
Most of what I've read indicates that this is primarily a real estate play and that Cerberus will flip Shaw's as soon as possible after the closing. Case in point:
http://www.enterprisenews.com/topstories/x166...
will

Portland, ME

#900 Jan 11, 2013
If Shaw's under Cerberus is serious about turning things around, at least they'll have lots of talent on the loose to turn to.
http://www.pressherald.com/news/Hannaford-par...
will

Portland, ME

#902 Jan 20, 2013
If Shaw's survives, it's likely to be much smaller than it is today:
http://somerville.patch.com/articles/does-sha...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Grocery Store Guide site Mar 11 john 1
News Morgan Stanley Doubles Down On Village Super Ma... Mar 6 Humanspirit 1
News Giant Eagle closures Feb '17 Georges 8
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Jan '17 tita 98
News Neilson Dairy sold to Saputo (Oct '08) Jan '17 is more trouble c... 16
Private Label Research Project Jan '17 Anonymous 1
ALDI Grocery Store (Mar '08) Jan '17 Akbar Beyah 45
More from around the web