mike

Portland, ME

#861 Dec 3, 2012
Noise wrote:
Hearing strong rumors of Shaw's being bought out by Kroger..........thoughts?
It might happen Supervalu has run Shaws into the ground and Supervalu has been trying to dump Shaws for a long time.
Wood

Hollis Center, ME

#862 Dec 3, 2012
This is getting ridiculous Kroger buying Shaw's. MB buying Shaw's. Stop & Shop buying Shaw's.Etc. Etc. Nobody has hard facts here. All speculation.....
Paul

AOL

#863 Dec 3, 2012
One thing we do know...SuperValue owns Shaws,and has rode it straight into a hole that only Lee Iacocca could get it out of.
watson

Wolfeboro, NH

#864 Dec 3, 2012
Paul,
One other thing that you prolly meant to say but didn't: supervalu top management is in a quandry///they want to sell shaws but they also know two things :
#1 they must sell the shaws unit but:
#2 to sell it for less than they paid for it 5-6 years ago would make them appear [the man now,,that is who we are talking about here ,,,the man who gives the final word" make them appear to be stupid or incompetant if they sell it for less than what was paid for it 5-6 years ago .. After all. we have ALL spent our entire life buying real estate for one price and then waiting a few years and then selling it for more than we paid for it ...that has always been the American way ..
The real problem here is that stiger is the first CEO who will have to sell a very large [ does the word "huge " work here ?] company for less than they paid for it ??? it would make him look stupid .
This is the same problem that obama is facing....in the past you simply do one thing ,,,then wait 2-3 years ,,,let inflation take its course and it would automatically solve the nations problems ... he can't do that now and that is the very essence of the American problem ... we have no inflation !!!!!!!! that is the answer to every financial question in all of America today ...you solve that problem ten you could own 1/4 of the U.S.A.
Paul

AOL

#865 Dec 3, 2012
Maybe the best tact would be to approach MB in each town that there is a MB and a Shaws and ask MB how much they would pay for Shaws to leave town.Then they could keep some Shaws and not lose any money on the ones they close.However,MB isnt that stupid,they will just wait until SV has destroyed its own stores.
will

Gray, ME

#866 Dec 7, 2012
Looks like Supervalu will be holding on to Shaw's for a bit longer, as the tea leaves favor Cerberus taking the Albertsons stores it does not already own as well as the Save-A-Lot banner and not the whole shebang.

And a little perspective - Supervalu isn't the only supermarket outfit having troubles, as Delhaize forced Ron Hodge (former Hannaford CEO) to retire a few months ago and has now fired Cathy Green Burns (another ex-Hannaford exec) as Food Lion's prexy. I guess sharing those Hannaford "best practices" across Delhaize America's banners has its limits.

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-financi...
will

Gray, ME

#867 Dec 7, 2012
More Delhaize poop - the new Hannaford/Sweetbay prexy is an HR guy; Cathy Green Burns was a Hannaford/Delhaize "lifer" who started as a bagger at H'ford. FYI, the current CEO of Delhaize America (who bounced Burns) ran a second-tier QSR chain before coming aboard to run Brussels' US outpost. I can imagine the headhunters are circling Salisbury looking for anxious executives looking to jump ship.

http://www.salisburypost.com/article/20121207...
fred

Boston, MA

#868 Dec 9, 2012
i work at shaws str managers ( some ) are cluless they can not lead by example nor can they lead by direction they are carbon coppies of herkert stangers and all up top they think the problem is the associates when it is themselves and the PRICES
sugardaddy

Auburn, ME

#869 Dec 9, 2012
What will be the next move? No more full-time? It's dead in the stores already and we're not in January yet !!!
will

Gray, ME

#870 Dec 10, 2012
Turns out that Hannaford's new prexy is also a H'ford "lifer" who worked his way up the executive ladder, though he started as a management trainee. He's a Gorham native, to boot.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/10/busines...

Since: May 07

Stockbridge Mass

#871 Dec 10, 2012
Nothing is dead,....yet!

Restructured Cerberus Deal For Supervalu Still On Track

Good Read....
Despite some recent setbacks, the Cerberus-Supervalu potential marriage is still very much on, several Wall Street sources have told me.

While we had heard predictions that a deal between the struggling retailer/wholesaler and the well-endowed New York venture capital firm might happen before Thanksgiving, it now looks like it will be early January before there’s a possible announcement. And we’ve learned that such a deal will take a slightly different form than originally anticipated.
fred

Boston, MA

#873 Dec 11, 2012
to giantone / it does not include shaws and it is a morge in every shaws so it seems to the customer and to us that work at shaws that the strech out of this sale is KILLING the business and that it may never recover and in the meantime they refuse to lower the prices on the SHELVES

Stockbridge Mass

#874 Dec 11, 2012
fred wrote:
to giantone / it does not include shaws and it is a morge in every shaws so it seems to the customer and to us that work at shaws that the strech out of this sale is KILLING the business and that it may never recover and in the meantime they refuse to lower the prices on the SHELVES
from the artical,"As for Shaw’s and Acme, perhaps Ron Burkle could cobble together a deal on the cheap for those distressed properties, but even Yucaipa would have store overlap problems in parts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Of course, there’s always the auction or block sales process, which would yield fewer stores being sold, but likely a higher premium to be gained on a per unit basis"
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#875 Dec 18, 2012
I heard today 60 stores to close after the 1st of the year. I have no idea if its true or not...
Retail Insider

River Forest, IL

#876 Dec 18, 2012
It looks like the announcement with come within the next two weeks....Cerberus to purchase west Coast Supervalu, Yucaipa to grab east coast SV, and Kroger to get Jewel and Cub.
Take it to the bank!
Paul

AOL

#877 Dec 19, 2012
Where did the "60 stores to close" story come from? That would be a huge cutback.How could SV sell the stores if they are closed (and they dont own the property)?
Tim Do

Danvers, MA

#878 Dec 19, 2012
Paul wrote:
Where did the "60 stores to close" story come from? That would be a huge cutback.How could SV sell the stores if they are closed (and they dont own the property)?
a driver. I don't know if its reliable. Shaws is not one of the banners that is rumored to be sold.
fred

Boston, MA

#879 Dec 21, 2012
anyone hear martins wants some shaws? they are owned by ahold
huh

Brockton, MA

#880 Dec 21, 2012
fred wrote:
That makes no sense. If any ahold chains were to pick up any shaws locations it would be stop & shop, not martins.

Stockbridge Mass

#881 Dec 21, 2012
fred wrote:
Martins is in Richmond VA if any of the Shaws go to Ahold it will be to Stop&Shop and then Giant /Landover will get Shoppers Food Warehouse.Martins is part Of Giant in PA both owned by Ahold but separate companies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grocery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Four N.C.-based supermarket chains rank among n... Apr 13 wittlecher 1
News Marsh shakes up management, closes stores (Feb '06) Apr 10 Sayso 3
News Target Bouncing Back From Security Breach Apr 5 Future Shop 1
News 2.2 earthquake reported near Steele, MO Apr 2 Sam 1
News Whole Foods joins grocers recalling pistachios (Apr '09) Apr 1 Texas_Ave 3
News Whole Foods Florida Hosting Best Butcher and Fi... (May '13) Mar '15 1 Lake Edge 6
News Loss of Big Y contract means layoffs at C&S (Oct '08) Mar '15 Koch Bro of Food 56
More from around the web